View Full Version : Mono

NIB
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I have been a fireline user for 10 yrs at least.Its great stuff I will always use it.
Been toying with the Idea of going back to mono on a coupla spools.For some time now.One reason is I like to use Bombers an the braid just will not keep the fish on the hook.Either it pulls or the hooks straightens em out or even breaks em..Now I don't need a lesson in fishing or hooks or any other equipment.This is just about line.Another reason is Fishing with needle fish Braid can be a real PITA also.I just read SWS in a article where The Iron man uses Yo-Zuri.Hybrid.Because of abaision resistence.I thought that was interesting as I heard some Horror stories bout the Hybrid.Plus I have no issues with the firelin in that respect.
Back to the accountability thread?I remember Dennis Z saying a while back he also went back to mono.
When I use mono Ande an Big Game get the call.Hard to beat big Game.It has proven very worthy in my books.I change fireline like alot of guys change Mono.I think for my own piece of mind only the largest of spools an basically changes in line every few days would be suffice.I also know the eelguy likes the Backcountry Ande.as do alot of others here.I would be going spinning.an I am leaning towards big Game 20#.Whats Ur Take??

partsjay
04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I will be doing the same thing this year......I love braid for Poppers....but I think I am going with #20 Big game on a couple of spools.

smac
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I have always used BG from 15-30#. I thought about swtiching to Fire Line due to the rocky areas I want to take andvatage of.

What I plan on doing is keeping a spool of both. I will swap out spools accordng to what I am fishing(Lures/bait)or where. I just cant take the plunge and switch to braid all together.

Just an idea. Good Luck.

BigBo
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Take a look at Sufix Tritanium. I like it. Low stretch and excellent abrasion resistance qualities.

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
What I plan on doing is keeping a spool of both. I will swap out spools accordng to what I am fishing(Lures/bait)or where. I just cant take the plunge and switch to braid all together.

Just an idea. Good Luck.

Well thats basically what i would be doing.I might just have differnt set ups all together.with extra spools of each also..I will never forgo using fireline all together.I has alot of good qualities.

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Take a look at Sufix Tritanium. I like it. Low stretch and excellent abrasion resistance qualities.

One of the reasons for considering mono is, braid is low stretch.I want the stretch of mono.I want the line to give some so's the hooks don't pull or bend.When I first went to braid I had to make a few adjustments just to keep fish on the line.

RIROCKHOUND
04-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Tony;
I'm trying Backcountry to start the season on my 250...
I'm a line-change whore... I have tried a ton in the past few years...
Ande Pink 20... still my fav
Yozuri Hybrid; hated it
Hi seas- loved it on my squidder too stiff for spinning
Surffix Seige was pretty good
big-game is good as well...

Basically they have good and bad....
Hell I threw straight 50lb dacron on a squidder for a while...

fcap60
04-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I think both Mono and Braid have their specific applications (too many resons to go into here) and at times I prefer one over the other-so like you suggested, I usually carry a spool of each when I head out.

spence
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
My initial reaction was that it was simply user error :smash:

But I made the switch to Back Country last season and I love it for both spinning and conventional. Even had a rod wrapped in silver and blue to match :love:

I like fireline but just have too many issues.

-spence

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Why did u dislike the hybrid..
Dacron thats funny.
I have tried that also on a 155.
Saw a guy usin a white braid an i thought thats what he was usin.
u should have seen those casts.
where was the internet then.

TSPS
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
NIB you read my mind ,
I have been thinking of doing the same for the same reasons . I read the same articals but have been alittle concerned about the difference in casting distance . What I have ended up doing is puting Yo-Zuri 12lbs on my Abu 6500c3 and Yo-Zuri 15lbs on my Abu 6500CL Big Game . I like you just feel that haveing alittle strech in the line is a good thing .
Still alittle worried about the distance thing some say they get more distance with Mono others say the opposit. :wall:

BigBo
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
The Sufix I mentioned isn't No-Stretch like braid. Just lower stretch than many other brands. Seems to be a good compromise to me.

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
12 or 15 lb is not really an option.niether is distance. for me anyways.Needles will go plenty far an where i use the bomebers u don't really have to cast em that far.But i would be petrified to fish with anything under 17 an feel 20 would be at my comfort level

RIROCKHOUND
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Distance wasnt an issue at that spot... why pay the $$ for braid...

Hybrid seemed stiff to me, but that was when it first came out maybe I should me the change back and try it if the ironman says so :wave:

everything above for mono was 20...

My fav for distance and sand was 30lb AN-40.... sucked in the rocks though!

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:41 PM
My fav for distance and sand was 30lb AN-40.... sucked in the rocks though!
Maybe spence can can be the interpeter for this part.???
:D

spence
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
He's either saying:

A) Bryan likes to go the distance in the sand, but only sucks in the rocks :sick: :uhuh:

Or...

B) That he finds Silver Thread AN40 fishing line in 30 pound test good for castability but low on abrasion resistance.

-spence

likwid
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
power pro on spinning
power pro or yozuri hybrid on convench

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Right ST AN 40 used to be good line they changed it.
Thanks..

RIROCKHOUND
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Friggin NJ-ite :smash:
You coming up this spring?

The old AN-40 with the grey label was what I had... bought 3000yd spool in the late 90's lasted till 04... ~2 300yard changes/year....
wasnt tough line but it was castable and I liked it....

NIB
04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Friggin NJ-ite :smash:
You coming up this spring?

The old AN-40 with the grey label was what I had... bought 3000yd spool in the late 90's lasted till 04... ~2 300yard changes/year....
wasnt tough line but it was castable and I liked it....

:hihi:
Spring is my time.I already got a 30 on ice for monday's weigh in for the OTW cup.:D

Krispy
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I cant imagine having to go back to using mono at this point and losing the distance, sensitivity and hookset power of braid. For 99% of the types of fishing I do, theres nothing that could be gained from mono, that couldnt be compensated for when using braid

reelecstasy
04-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a few spooled up with Big Game (blue) 20#...first year trying it so we shall see..
But I usually go braid so who knows how much time those spools will see..

NIB
04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I cant imagine having to go back to using mono at this point and losing the distance, sensitivity and hookset power of braid. For 99% of the types of fishing I do, theres nothing that could be gained from mono, that couldnt be compensated for when using braid

The Iron man says he likes the abrasion resistance of the Hybrid.Do u think he has alterior motives like a endorsment deal.I think perhaps he does And good for him.how can i get some.but in the areas he fishes. I think in some cases mono is a better bet.U need stretch when u cannot afford to pay out any line.I rarely have windknot problems but when i thro needles an work em slo the line just lays on too soft.when u lay into a cast with a 2 once or better needle the line digs in a poof.Un doing the mess is Not really how I wanted to spend my night fishing.i know there are ways around this like holding the line an the rod in ur hand i have done it.not really comfortable fishing like that.

Pete F.
04-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I did a spool of 20# yozuri to try this year but don't know nothing yet. I just remember using mono after braid felt really funny, sort of like fishing with a rubber band.

BigBo
04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
That whole SWS article read like a product endorsement advertisment.:rollem:

JoeP
04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
The Iron man says he likes the abrasion resistance of the Hybrid.Do u think he has alterior motives like a endorsment deal.I think perhaps he does And good for him.how can i get some.but in the areas he fishes.

Knowing Mike a bit he's a pretty straight shooter in my opinion. I highly doubt he has alteriors motives. I've spoken to him about this and he said he has lost too many fish on braid in the rocks. I'd take him for his word...:kewl:

nightfighter
04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Before I went to PP, I used Yozuri Hybrid exclusively. I am going to have some reels for the kayak spooled up with it as I scored approximately 3/4 of a 25# spool at MSBA show from CMS for just $15.00!!! Wasoriginally a 7000yd spool! Got enough for a lifetime! I still love PP for casting from the beach though.

american spirit
04-28-2006, 03:07 PM
switched to pp last year. would only consider using big game 17-20 lb for the rocks. can't resist the extra distance and sensitivity. i just ease up on the drag

NIB
04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Knowing Mike a bit he's a pretty straight shooter in my opinion. I highly doubt he has alteriors motives. I've spoken to him about this and he said he has lost too many fish on braid in the rocks. I'd take him for his word...:kewl:

U know i never met him. I would like to.I have been in swe 4 or 5 times an amazingly he was not there.As I understand he spends a little time there.The guys who work there, who are top notch in my book speak the world of him.They say he is nothing but a straight shooter.I can't help but to think like he was endorsing something though.Yo Zuri hybrid line kinda caught me off guard to be honest..the article did sound like a who endorses what thing but i guess thats what happens when u ask pros what they use, they tell ya.Alberto just said anything with high capacity spool when asked about his reel.I would guess that means he is not endorsed at the moment.:D

In The Surf
04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Big Game has been my mono of choice but it has let me down several times have been considering trying Yozuri Hybid for over a year now. Given the fact that there was a lot of positive feedback last year on Ande Back Country I think I will try them both and form my own opnion as to which of the three will be my mono of choice. Based on my limited research on Back Country last year what I found out was it was made for fishing shallow water with fairly heavy cover or structure. They say it has good abrasion resistance but what I also learned was it was said it is because it is a very bouyant line so it floats above the nasty stuff making it easier to fish these conditions but I'll definately be trying it to form my own conclusion.

numbskull
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Uh.......is Ande Backcountry even available. I think they may have stopped making it this year.

NIB
04-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Uh.......is Ande Backcountry even available. I think they may have stopped making it this year.
I have just seen a 4000 an change yd spool 20 an 25 lb at my local shop.

NIB
04-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I know I have been told differently here but i could swear ande back country blue is just a color difference not a different line.I have used the pink for yrs.As it cast's on a conventional with out getting it wet.big game has a dry lubricant on it that will burn the sh!it out of ur thumb if u don't wet it.I used to spray some armourall on a newlly filled reel so i could keep my thumb skin.

Maloney
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Nib, is that color change you think of on Ande the
Tournament (which I usually use tossing plugs) or Premium?

Slipknot
04-28-2006, 07:30 PM
My dad uses youzuri hybrid.
he uses spiderwire for braid.

Slingah
04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I use the yozuri hybrid and power pro....trying big game on a smaller reel....used to use it in the fresh

shadow
04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
I like big game I have always used it.Never really had any problems w/ it which is why I really haven't tried many other lines.I'am giving the backcountry a try this year as I picked up 3 1/2 pound spools this winter when I was down south.I hope to find it alittle more abrasion resisteance.Is it me or does the backcounty seem alittle stiffer the the big game?

gone fishin
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Nib - I know where you are coming from and I use braid almost exclusively now. I was brought up on rag line on a sqidder when there was no mono. We used Assinippe line and loved it.
I like Yozuri for braid better than big game - had less problems using it over big game before going to power pro. I now spool up with PP and use a LONG shock leader to allow for decent hooksets with out tearing the jig or plug out of the fishes mouth. It also gives me the stretch on a long cast that is not there with power pro. As for plugging, I still like the power pro and long leader setup.
525 penn with 65lb PP and youzuri shock in the ditch jiggin. You cannot feel the bottom with mono as well as you can with braid! 7000CL Abu with 50lb PP and flouro leader for plugs in the ditch. 40lb. PP on pro rocket and a 20lb leader for plugs off the surf. All my stuff is conventional.

rhodyflyguy
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
i've used yozuri in 10 and 12 lb tests, and i loved it. i really liked it for leaders. i also used the 130 lb. for livelining leaders. it has less vivibility then mono, but doesn't peel away like straight flouro does in rocks. that said, i'm trying hybrid extra soft or whatever it is this year on convench in 30 lb.

JoeP
04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
U know i never met him. I would like to.I have been in swe 4 or 5 times an amazingly he was not there.As I understand he spends a little time there.The guys who work there, who are top notch in my book speak the world of him.They say he is nothing but a straight shooter.I can't help but to think like he was endorsing something though.Yo Zuri hybrid line kinda caught me off guard to be honest..the article did sound like a who endorses what thing but i guess thats what happens when u ask pros what they use, they tell ya.Alberto just said anything with high capacity spool when asked about his reel.I would guess that means he is not endorsed at the moment.:D

NIB:

There are guys here who know Mike better then me (PeteG...) but all I can say from my conversations with him is that he is straight shooter full of knowledge and always has a smile on his face.

Joe

tattoobob
04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Every season I flip flop back and forth I always end up with Triline big game, I only use spinning and have never had a problem with it. right now I have fire line power pro and triline big game on my reels. I change the mono once a week during a season. I just filled my VS 200with 50 pound PP and it was 22 bucks, I can spool 5 reels once a week with mono for 5 months for that money.

Pete_G
04-28-2006, 08:25 PM

He's definitely not getting any endorsement deal as I buy his bulk Yozuri spools of line for him. Other then a few test reels he has which are technically Van Staal property (but I doubt they'll ever get them back :devil2:) he's also ordered most of his reels through the shop.

Personally I found the stuff kind of cranky when I tried to use it. Yet for all the time I spend standing next to Mike I can't seem to remember a bird's nest falling off his VS, so who knows. I have used it as leader material and it is without question tough. I have seen a weird behavior (usually after encountering something that pulls REALLY hard for an extended period of time such as a tuna) where the outer layer of the Hybrid literally starts peeling. Probably that's just an indicator I need to change my leader.

As for mono, the only thing I notice being behind the wheel of the line winder is how many monos are out there and how many different favorites people have. Suffix, BG, Yozuri, Ande, Silver Thread, it's all over the map. This season's hotness is definitely the Ande BackCountry. But like anything pushed by the "pros" it of course will sell well.

I love my braid but mono clearly gets the job done for many people who have caught a lot of quality fish. I too will be spooling up a few spools with mono this year. The people who still use it and the fish they have caught using it is too much to ignore for me.

NIB
04-28-2006, 08:37 PM
So Pete which mono will u use.It's funny u say that about mono as we had a similar train of thought about Pure fishing braids.geeze there has to be 15 different braids to choose from.I remember when choices where extra loopy XL or extra twisty XT.:D
I guess different lines are a tackle shop owners nightmare.Them filler spools eat up alot of space an 7 lb spools can be expensive when u have to consider all the different colors an Pound test's.

Mike P
04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Couple of things. One, I can't ever imagine using mono to jig the Ditch with, ever again. Braid is superior in every way. I used to run 30# or sometimes even 40# mono for jigging. Try breaking that off when you hang a jig---and you do hang much more often with mono due to not feeling the jig in trouble soon enough to rescue it. 65# braid, 40# mono leader, and I rarely have to climb more than 10' up the bank to snap the leader. With heavy mono, it'd be up to the service road, walk a couple of hundred feet, and even then, you couldn't thumb down on the spool tight enough to get 30# to break. I know more than one person who broke their fingers by slipping them between the spool and the reel frame to break off. Using braid lets me use a lighter jig, and reduces hang-ups even more as a result. It also lets me get down and actually feel the bottom during those 25-30 kt SW crosswinds. Mono for jigging the Canal? Never again. I'd go back to nylon squidding line first :humpty:

For plugs and eels, it really depends on where I'm fishing and the type of plug. It really helps to use a softer rod, like an Arra 1204 (the "new" 1203), or a GSB 120 1L, or even better, S-glass. It also helps if you don't try to horse a fish, or fight it by"hi-sticking". If I'm fishing places where I have to really lay on the lumber, I use mono. 20# Big Game has always been my "go-to" line for spinning reels. I've never had a problem with it. I bump it up to 25# for conventionals. And I always use mono for throwing surface poppers--in the Canal or anywhere else. You get too much loose line with braid and that spells trouble.

Pete, I also have never had a wind knot or birds' nest using any kind of line on either on my Van Staal reels. Whether it was mono, Fireline, or even Whiplash when they made it. Don't know whether its the reel, or just the fact that guys named Mike have the horseshoe when it comes to avoiding tangles :D

Pete_G
04-28-2006, 08:45 PM
So Pete which mono will u use.It's funny u say that about mono as we had a similar train of thought about Pure fishing braids.geeze there has to be 15 different braids to choose from.I remember when choices where extra loopy XL or extra twisty XT.:D
I guess different lines are a tackle shop owners nightmare.Them filler spools eat up alot of space an 7 lb spools can be expensive when u have to consider all the different colors an Pound test's.

Haha, trust me, I can't win when it comes to mono. No matter what is on the wall someone will come in looking for something else. I'm just carrying the popular surf monos for the moment; BG, Yozuri, and Ande in several flavors, especially BackCountry. Then some of the popular offshore monos.

Most common question lately is always in regards to the BackCountry and is it all it is being pushed as being. I don't have an answer since I haven't used it. I'll probably start the season with that stuff so I'll have an opinion on it when I get that question.

Goose
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I only use BG on convench top water, braid for everything else.

NIB
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Couple of things. One, I can't ever imagine using mono to jig the Ditch with, ever again. Braid is superior in every way. I used to run 30# or sometimes even 40# mono for jigging. Try breaking that off when you hang a jig---and you do hang much more often with mono due to not feeling the jig in trouble soon enough to rescue it. 65# braid, 40# mono leader, and I rarely have to climb more than 10' up the bank to snap the leader. With heavy mono, it'd be up to the service road, walk a couple of hundred feet, and even then, you couldn't thumb down on the spool tight enough to get 30# to break. I know more than one person who broke their fingers by slipping them between the spool and the reel frame to break off. Using braid lets me use a lighter jig, and reduces hang-ups even more as a result. It also lets me get down and actually feel the bottom during those 25-30 kt SW crosswinds. Mono for jigging the Canal? Never again. I'd go back to nylon squidding line first :humpty:

For plugs and eels, it really depends on where I'm fishing and the type of plug. It really helps to use a softer rod, like an Arra 1204 (the "new" 1203), or a GSB 120 1L, or even better, S-glass. It also helps if you don't try to horse a fish, or fight it by"hi-sticking". If I'm fishing places where I have to really lay on the lumber, I use mono. 20# Big Game has always been my "go-to" line for spinning reels. I've never had a problem with it. I bump it up to 25# for conventionals. And I always use mono for throwing surface poppers--in the Canal or anywhere else. You get too much loose line with braid and that spells trouble.

Pete, I also have never had a wind knot or birds' nest using any kind of line on either on my Van Staal reels. Whether it was mono, Fireline, or even Whiplash when they made it. Don't know whether its the reel, or just the fact that guys named Mike have the horseshoe when it comes to avoiding tangles :D

I can't imagine havin to use mono in the canal.what did u use for jigs 6 oz.??I rarely get the windknots with the braid.just with needles.
So in this thread Nylon squidding an linen line have been mentioned. How bout King Neptune line anyone remember that. It was a nylon fishing line the precursor to monofiliment.Used to get it at a place called Two Guys.

Mike P
04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Depending on the location and the tide--5 to 6 most places. Or 3-1/2 or 4 and throw way the eff upcurrent. You'd finally feel it touch in front of you and you'd lose the bottom at 10 or 2 o'clock.

Skitterpop
04-28-2006, 08:57 PM

Bass Pro has some but not big spools

Backbeach Jake
04-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I fished an awful long time using 20# Ande. Mostly 'cos it was cheap and worked. When Braids showed up I put 30# Fireline on the squidder (Bait setup) and fell in love. The spinners that didn't twist it got the same treatment. There were adjustment to make; No more Hercules hooksets, didn't need them to overcome stretch and drag settings became way more important. Without the stretch of mono, the fish have something to work against that is almost solid unlike the rubber band mono. But! I have found that the stretch is sometimes very desireable when plugging. I get a much better "Walk the Dog" with mono than with braid. The mono's stretch does much of the work when you get in the rhythm. It also gives a hop/leap action to lead jigs on the bottom and Bombers' swimming. They both have their places and that's probably why I have so much gear.

basswipe
04-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I've always hated everything about braid.I hate the way it feels,how it comes off and goes on the spool.I've used them all and I just don't like it.I don't fish conventional gear or fish the canal or jig for cod where from my understanding its outstanding.

Where I live(Aquidneck Island) I've never needed the extra casting distance that I might get from braid.From the eel grass on the north end to the rocks on the south mono has always been my choice.

I always used Biggame then went to Hybrid for years.After reading #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s and Piemma's posts about BackCountry I decided to give it a try last year and was so pleased with it I went with it full-time this year.Its the only line I'll now use its that good IMO.

spence
04-28-2006, 09:41 PM
There was a rumor last year that Back Country was going to be killed, but that was bunk...

It's certainly not the same as Big Game, even I can tell you that. It's great on small conventionals and even spinners...although I don't like it for lighter spinning stuff, say less than 2 ounces. It is very durable.

Iron Mike is a character...met him about 4 times at SWE.

-spence

piemma
04-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I spoke to Ande last Fall and, no, they are not discontinuing Back Country.
I have used everything in the last 30 years and the Ande Back Country is by far the best mono I have used. I have it in a VS250 and Shimano Calcutta 400. Great resistance to abrasion, stays limp in cold weather and very little memory.
I have been using a new braid this year. It's Cortland Master Braid and it super on conventionals. Very smooth and it seem like I am getting 20+ yards more distance. It's a bit pricy. I paid $44.00 for 300 yard spool. It's modeled after the old Spectron that Cortland came out with in the early 90s but much improved.

Sea Dangles
04-29-2006, 10:50 AM
NIB:

There are guys here who know Mike better then me (PeteG...) but all I can say from my conversations with him is that he always has a smile on his face.

Joe
That's cuz he is drunk.

tlapinski
04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
That's cuz he is drunk.
I was thinking the same thing... :cheers:

Anyway, I really like Yo Hybrid. Started using it a few years ago in 30# on my conventionals. Super durable and cast pretty well. Lots of guys think it is too stiff, but I'll deal with that to not loose a good fish in the rocks. The only reason I started to look for a replacement for it is that it is hard to score locally. I spooled up some 20# back country to try on my smaller conventionals this year. It seems good so far, but I have only used it to test cast some plugs and a new rod I wrapped.

I use braid on my spinners and mono on all but my jigging conventionals. Just how I like to fish. They each have there place in certain situations.

LeCounts1099
04-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I fish the Rocks! I live at & for Montauk & like places! I hate any & all braid-- never touch the stuff! And I don't lack for casting distance, believe me! (Though I feel I need distance only 10% of nights/ situations anyway!). Big Game 20 lb., and 25 lb. on my VS300 for the craggiest spots: never lets me down! (But I'm obsessive about cutting- back & re- spooling-- way more than most! You should be too! :hihi:

Of course though if I fished the Canal often... or deep- jigged Inlets often, then I'd use braid for that! But I don't-- I'm primarily a plugger... then an Eeler! Mono for me in the surf! Just carry that bulk spool of 20 in the vehicle & use it often! (Hopefully VERY often! :smokin:

JoeP
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
That's cuz he is drunk.\

:biglaugh:

tattoobob
04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
That's cuz he is drunk.

Well at least the last 3 times I saw him, nothing wrong with that :spin: :hf1: