Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
NIB

Mono

I have been a fireline user for 10 yrs at least.Its great stuff I will always use it.
Been toying with the Idea of going back to mono on a coupla spools.For some time now.One reason is I like to use Bombers an the braid just will not keep the fish on the hook.Either it pulls or the hooks straightens em out or even breaks em..Now I don't need a lesson in fishing or hooks or any other equipment.This is just about line.Another reason is Fishing with needle fish Braid can be a real PITA also.I just read SWS in a article where The Iron man uses Yo-Zuri.Hybrid.Because of abaision resistence.I thought that was interesting as I heard some Horror stories bout the Hybrid.Plus I have no issues with the firelin in that respect.
Back to the accountability thread?I remember Dennis Z saying a while back he also went back to mono.
When I use mono Ande an Big Game get the call.Hard to beat big Game.It has proven very worthy in my books.I change fireline like alot of guys change Mono.I think for my own piece of mind only the largest of spools an basically changes in line every few days would be suffice.I also know the eelguy likes the Backcountry Ande.as do alot of others here.I would be going spinning.an I am leaning towards big Game 20#.Whats Ur Take??

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I will be doing the same thing this year......I love braid for Poppers....but I think I am going with #20 Big game on a couple of spools.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
smac

Funny..

I have always used BG from 15-30#. I thought about swtiching to Fire Line due to the rocky areas I want to take andvatage of.

What I plan on doing is keeping a spool of both. I will swap out spools accordng to what I am fishing(Lures/bait)or where. I just cant take the plunge and switch to braid all together.

Just an idea. Good Luck.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
BigBo

Take a look at Sufix Tritanium. I like it. Low stretch and excellent abrasion resistance qualities.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac
What I plan on doing is keeping a spool of both. I will swap out spools accordng to what I am fishing(Lures/bait)or where. I just cant take the plunge and switch to braid all together.

Just an idea. Good Luck.

Well thats basically what i would be doing.I might just have differnt set ups all together.with extra spools of each also..I will never forgo using fireline all together.I has alot of good qualities.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo
Take a look at Sufix Tritanium. I like it. Low stretch and excellent abrasion resistance qualities.

One of the reasons for considering mono is, braid is low stretch.I want the stretch of mono.I want the line to give some so's the hooks don't pull or bend.When I first went to braid I had to make a few adjustments just to keep fish on the line.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Tony;
I'm trying Backcountry to start the season on my 250...
I'm a line-change whore... I have tried a ton in the past few years...
Ande Pink 20... still my fav
Yozuri Hybrid; hated it
Hi seas- loved it on my squidder too stiff for spinning
Surffix Seige was pretty good
big-game is good as well...

Basically they have good and bad....
Hell I threw straight 50lb dacron on a squidder for a while...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
fcap60
Frank Capone

I think both Mono and Braid have their specific applications (too many resons to go into here) and at times I prefer one over the other-so like you suggested, I usually carry a spool of each when I head out.
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
spence

My initial reaction was that it was simply user error

But I made the switch to Back Country last season and I love it for both spinning and conventional. Even had a rod wrapped in silver and blue to match

I like fireline but just have too many issues.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
NIB

Why did u dislike the hybrid..
Dacron thats funny.
I have tried that also on a 155.
Saw a guy usin a white braid an i thought thats what he was usin.
u should have seen those casts.
where was the internet then.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
TSPS

Red face

NIB you read my mind ,
I have been thinking of doing the same for the same reasons . I read the same articals but have been alittle concerned about the difference in casting distance . What I have ended up doing is puting Yo-Zuri 12lbs on my Abu 6500c3 and Yo-Zuri 15lbs on my Abu 6500CL Big Game . I like you just feel that haveing alittle strech in the line is a good thing .
Still alittle worried about the distance thing some say they get more distance with Mono others say the opposit.
TSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
BigBo

The Sufix I mentioned isn't No-Stretch like braid. Just lower stretch than many other brands. Seems to be a good compromise to me.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
NIB

12 or 15 lb is not really an option.niether is distance. for me anyways.Needles will go plenty far an where i use the bomebers u don't really have to cast em that far.But i would be petrified to fish with anything under 17 an feel 20 would be at my comfort level

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Distance wasnt an issue at that spot... why pay the $$ for braid...

Hybrid seemed stiff to me, but that was when it first came out maybe I should me the change back and try it if the ironman says so

everything above for mono was 20...

My fav for distance and sand was 30lb AN-40.... sucked in the rocks though!

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND

My fav for distance and sand was 30lb AN-40.... sucked in the rocks though!
Maybe spence can can be the interpeter for this part.???

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
He's either saying:

A) Bryan likes to go the distance in the sand, but only sucks in the rocks

Or...

B) That he finds Silver Thread AN40 fishing line in 30 pound test good for castability but low on abrasion resistance.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
power pro on spinning
power pro or yozuri hybrid on convench

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
NIB

Right ST AN 40 used to be good line they changed it.
Thanks..

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
Friggin NJ-ite
You coming up this spring?

The old AN-40 with the grey label was what I had... bought 3000yd spool in the late 90's lasted till 04... ~2 300yard changes/year....
wasnt tough line but it was castable and I liked it....

Bryan

Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND
Friggin NJ-ite
You coming up this spring?

The old AN-40 with the grey label was what I had... bought 3000yd spool in the late 90's lasted till 04... ~2 300yard changes/year....
wasnt tough line but it was castable and I liked it....

Spring is my time.I already got a 30 on ice for monday's weigh in for the OTW cup.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #21
Krispy

I cant imagine having to go back to using mono at this point and losing the distance, sensitivity and hookset power of braid. For 99% of the types of fishing I do, theres nothing that could be gained from mono, that couldnt be compensated for when using braid

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I have a few spooled up with Big Game (blue) 20#...first year trying it so we shall see..
But I usually go braid so who knows how much time those spools will see..

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #23
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy
I cant imagine having to go back to using mono at this point and losing the distance, sensitivity and hookset power of braid. For 99% of the types of fishing I do, theres nothing that could be gained from mono, that couldnt be compensated for when using braid
The Iron man says he likes the abrasion resistance of the Hybrid.Do u think he has alterior motives like a endorsment deal.I think perhaps he does And good for him.how can i get some.but in the areas he fishes. I think in some cases mono is a better bet.U need stretch when u cannot afford to pay out any line.I rarely have windknot problems but when i thro needles an work em slo the line just lays on too soft.when u lay into a cast with a 2 once or better needle the line digs in a poof.Un doing the mess is Not really how I wanted to spend my night fishing.i know there are ways around this like holding the line an the rod in ur hand i have done it.not really comfortable fishing like that.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

I did a spool of 20# yozuri to try this year but don't know nothing yet. I just remember using mono after braid felt really funny, sort of like fishing with a rubber band.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #25
BigBo

That whole SWS article read like a product endorsement advertisment.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #26
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
The Iron man says he likes the abrasion resistance of the Hybrid.Do u think he has alterior motives like a endorsment deal.I think perhaps he does And good for him.how can i get some.but in the areas he fishes.
Knowing Mike a bit he's a pretty straight shooter in my opinion. I highly doubt he has alteriors motives. I've spoken to him about this and he said he has lost too many fish on braid in the rocks. I'd take him for his word...
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #27
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Before I went to PP, I used Yozuri Hybrid exclusively. I am going to have some reels for the kayak spooled up with it as I scored approximately 3/4 of a 25# spool at MSBA show from CMS for just $15.00!!! Wasoriginally a 7000yd spool! Got enough for a lifetime! I still love PP for casting from the beach though.

Last edited by nightfighter; 04-28-2006 at 04:45 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #28
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

switched to pp last year. would only consider using big game 17-20 lb for the rocks. can't resist the extra distance and sensitivity. i just ease up on the drag
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #29
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Knowing Mike a bit he's a pretty straight shooter in my opinion. I highly doubt he has alteriors motives. I've spoken to him about this and he said he has lost too many fish on braid in the rocks. I'd take him for his word...
U know i never met him. I would like to.I have been in swe 4 or 5 times an amazingly he was not there.As I understand he spends a little time there.The guys who work there, who are top notch in my book speak the world of him.They say he is nothing but a straight shooter.I can't help but to think like he was endorsing something though.Yo Zuri hybrid line kinda caught me off guard to be honest..the article did sound like a who endorses what thing but i guess thats what happens when u ask pros what they use, they tell ya.Alberto just said anything with high capacity spool when asked about his reel.I would guess that means he is not endorsed at the moment.

FORE!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

I was thinking the same thing. Big Game has been my mono of choice but it has let me down several times have been considering trying Yozuri Hybid for over a year now. Given the fact that there was a lot of positive feedback last year on Ande Back Country I think I will try them both and form my own opnion as to which of the three will be my mono of choice. Based on my limited research on Back Country last year what I found out was it was made for fishing shallow water with fairly heavy cover or structure. They say it has good abrasion resistance but what I also learned was it was said it is because it is a very bouyant line so it floats above the nasty stuff making it easier to fish these conditions but I'll definately be trying it to form my own conclusion.
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote