View Full Version : Are you holding out?

Goose
05-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm not referring to spots but anything and everything else. This site is loaded with awsome info as we all know and share but is there something that you do, have rigged ect. ect. that you will not spill:sick:? A simple yes or no will do.

I know there's a handfull of guys that will go to their graves with what they consider "the anglers edge".... and i also know that theres a handfull who think we're @holes.

Clammer
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
YEP -but I,ve been trying to decide if I,m gonna give it up -------I can,t pass it along to my son ========== he never got this addiction :faga:

Slipknot
05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
no

and i also know that theres a handfull who think we're @holes.

"we're"? :huh: that means you are one of the holdouts? if you are that is not such a bad thing and I don't blame you. But I would think that before one goes off to that great cuttyhunk in the sky, they'd try to pass on some of those secrets since I bet alot was passed on to them also thru the years.
or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
I just like the way when I speak to a guy like Stan Kuzia, that he will tell you lots in a conversation, he's not holding back I don't think. I respect that.

Squid kids Dad
05-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Slip.My thoughts exactly...

bluzjamer
05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Gas prices are killing the old scoutem out routine. I've caught lots of schoolies through the years but I can count the keepers on one hand. Only 1 30# fish. I would love to bag one for the grill. Just haven't been to lucky or fish too much with the fly stick. I still haven't hit my first schoolie yet for this year. I gone out about 6-8 times. My tried and true spots aren't working and gas is keeping me from exploring. I think it's going to be a tough year.:wall:

Clammer
05-02-2006, 12:38 AM
B/J sounds like ya watching the tube ===tooooooooo Much :eyes:

fishaholic18
05-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Nope, I don't hold out, I always put out...:bshake:

Hi Tony..:wavey:

GBOUTDOORS
05-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Tony I have told you everything I know and still you know nothing:smash: The only thing I know is if you fish they will come:uhuh:

seabass
05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I tell you my secret, my son can speak morone saxatallis!:heybaby:

JFigliuolo
05-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Put me in the second group... To people I have fished with on more than one occasion, I am an open book. The downside of that, is I am more like a leaflet, than a book per say.

lurch
05-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I tell you my secret, my son can speak morone saxatallis!:heybaby:

Just like harry potter speaking parsel tounge.

It is amazing how much a person knows about fishing but may not realize that they know it.

Nebe
05-02-2006, 08:24 AM
YEP -but I,ve been trying to decide if I,m gonna give it up -------I can,t pass it along to my son ========== he never got this addiction :faga:

im open ears papa :angel:

Goose
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Doesn't anyone take off their producing lure as they walking the surf or is that just in books? You take car racing for example: they'll keep a tiny secret secret because it took year$ for them to drop one second or even 1/2 a second, fishing isn't any different. I say 99.9 of everything I know but if I'm asked to stay hush then I'm only as good as my word.

tattoobob
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I am sorry I don't like to brag or tell tails, I have also been known to lose fish because I dropped my rod when another beach buggy drives by. I don't like crowds and lose lips sinks ships. if I come to fish a spot and there are alot of others fishing I go find another.

Clammer
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
This [[IS]] a F #$%^&*(0 disease ::;;

TONY // ya got me thinkin =no worries it won,t last long ><>><><

Years ago there were a select few of us that targeted a certain species of fish ----- commercially -- ATT I was the youngest /// we didn,t [really] fish with each other ==but we all fished 95% of the same places =============&& sold to the same market ...

Well one night we did a all nighter & into the mid morning ==================== when we stopped at a tackle shop we found out that one of the guys was hit in the head with a hammer walking home that night & died

First F #$%^&*( thing that came to my head WAS ================ one less guy to F #%^7 with & as he goes so does his knowledge =======

there I,ve said what many have thought at one time or another ========= ya I know f #$%^&*( sick :yak4:

ThrowingTimber
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM

I take notes everytime bud :wavey:

Clammer
05-03-2006, 03:26 PM
t/t BuT YA ONLY CAN RIGHT DOWN WHAT YA SEE OR HEAR :uhoh:

piemma
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I give up everything. You can all follow me around. Red International Scout RI plate number RT 590.

JohnR
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know - I think it is balance. Some things given to you in confidence should stay in confidence, some info you have earned through doing don't necessarily spill all the beans but give out a drible and a dabble. Paraphrasing a little here but some say that the journey to gain the knowledge can often BE the knowledge. If someone shows / tells me something it doesn't mean that I know it. I still need to learn it...

So from another angle, if you KNOW something and it is really good, what's better? To give the knowledge in one fell swoop? Or to give bits and pieces and guide someone until they LEARN it? I have found that the few things that have penetrated my skull are clearer and sharper when I have learned on my own or someone guided my thinking rather than someone saying go here and cast there... This knowledge might shorten the learning curve a bit but it does not elimiate the learning curve. It still must be learned...

hulkyj61
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I can't say I would post a spot online for all to see, but if I get talking to someone who knows the area I may spill a little. Also there are very few "secret" spots left these days, but there are a few, and some are obvious fishing spots (breakwaters, river outflows, rocky coves) that people are automatically always going to go to.

stiff tip
05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
yes some things u keep to your self......but the older you get the lips get looser ...then 1 day u realize wtf what good does it in the grave..thats when u pass it along to your -buds-

EricM
02-28-2007, 06:33 AM
I am happy to share what little knowledge I have gained through my own personal time on the water.

What I have learned from personal discussions with others regarding what THEY learned from time on the water, however, I keep to myself, as it is their "lessons learned" and not mine. It is the result of their work, time, and experimentation, and therefore it is their choice what to do with it.

eelman
02-28-2007, 06:37 AM
yes, definatly.. Just cannot trust people been let down far to many times..Its why I dont fish with many people..Most of the time I like to be alone.But I will share info freely with a couple people, they know who they are.I may let out 99% of what I do with an eel...but there is that 1% I keep all to myself and always will.....

NIB
02-28-2007, 07:32 AM
I have seen it happen when Old Salts I know who wouldn't give ya the time of day yrs.ago All of the sudden have a change of heart an are willing to spew to whoever will have their ear..
When it comes down to it.It's still just common sense.
It's all the little nuances u can read about em in some books or magazines,or have someone tell ya.
Till u experience them for urself though it won't click in.
Time on the water is the real secret..
That said i share some an keep the real jewels to myself..

fcap60
02-28-2007, 07:34 AM
yes

BW from AZ
02-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Put me in the second group... To people I have fished with on more than one occasion, I am an open book. The downside of that, is I am more like a leaflet, than a book per say.

same here except i"m more like a sticky post it. i"m still learning

Raven
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
full of secrets... :D

the area 51 of striped bass fishing....

heh heh heh.....

numbskull
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I got a lot of secrets.....but I can't remember where I put 'em. :hs:

Tagger
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM
When people fished for a living or survival ,from shore it was all about secrets . Cup the lure your using in your hand so no one can see and stop fishing and leave .. I like most rec guys share ,,, If I had to survive by my fishing things would be different .

pal156
03-01-2007, 06:30 AM
i pass on most of my info must keep a few tactics in the attic:wiggle:

Ake G
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, I'm holding out.

jim sylvester
03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
yup

any fisherman always keeps a little something to himself

LeCounts1099
03-01-2007, 10:53 AM
There's something I like to do every 10- 15 minutes or so when plug- casting... that I won't do if fishing daylight within eye- shot of anyone! (until I see no eyes are on me! :heybaby:

My plugs get so many upgrades/ customizations that I do everything in my power to be the "untangler" when crossed lines inevitably happen in crowded spots... guys think I'm just being helpful & courteous! :bc:

And rule # 1 is that nothing is ever visible on my rod/ snap when coming or going. If anyone's around I take off my plug & put it away before I even start back to shore-- night or day! Catching or even not! :angel:

I have to REALLY like-- & trust!-- you... to part with my "secrets"/ explain my prefs. & why! $100. at a Seminar or for an article not nearly high enough an incentive! :rotf3:

fishsmith
03-01-2007, 12:04 PM
You have to hold out. I'm very lucky to fish with good, great and phenomenal fisherman. To give up some of the sublte tricks you learn is like Barry Bonds breaking the homer record, it's cheating. Giving up spots you know are a secret (at least to the one who showed you they are) online is Treason.

Swimmer
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes!

Raven
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Giving up spots you know are a secret
is Treason.

yeah i had to twist her arm behind her back
to get this pirate chick give up her secret spot....
but then...........
i took her fishin cuz she's got a built in Gaff. :jester:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/spot-pirate.jpg

ThrowingTimber
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
yes on holding out.

Flaptail
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
There's something I like to do every 10- 15 minutes or so when plug- casting... that I won't do if fishing daylight within eye- shot of anyone! (until I see no eyes are on me! :heybaby:

My plugs get so many upgrades/ customizations that I do everything in my power to be the "untangler" when crossed lines inevitably happen in crowded spots... guys think I'm just being helpful & courteous! :bc:

And rule # 1 is that nothing is ever visible on my rod/ snap when coming or going. If anyone's around I take off my plug & put it away before I even start back to shore-- night or day! Catching or even not! :angel:

I have to REALLY like-- & trust!-- you... to part with my "secrets"/ explain my prefs. & why! $100. at a Seminar or for an article not nearly high enough an incentive! :rotf3:

I used to be like that but after experiencing fishing with a lot of "sharpies" etc over the years I found that even when they have seen what I was fishing with most had no idea on how to really use the plug properly which was, in some cases, a little deflating seeing as some of these people I held in an almost awe inspiring view. But, it's not the lure so much as what you know how to do with it and when and more times than not there are several ways to skin a cat with the same plug. And very often knowing that is what makes the difference.

I don't worry about it at all anymore. Just because you can see it and say to yourself "aha, so thats what he's using doesn't translate into success if you happen to have the same thing in your bag as the guy who is catching beside you. No way.

Besides, when you make most of your own stuff, they can't get one anyhow. And lastly, most of the stuff you see on my rods in the rack probably won't be what eventually unlocks the door.

Let em' see it. No biggie.

jim sylvester
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
one of the few times I came walking back to my truck with a plug still clipped on, leaving a great night to say the least...some guy gearing up in broad daylight says to me, and i quote "what do you think you're going to catch with that easter egg looking plug"......laughed to myself as i got in the car..it was a wonderbread...thing just landed me 6 fish ,20 lb range

rockhopin2
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
There is penty of things that can be show without giving it all up I give enough info to get someone started then let them run with it. I know I had to fill in plenty of blanks and still have a long way to go. But then that why I love not sleeping 6 months out of the year :spin:

and why I'm sitting in Class reading post and day dreamin