View Full Version : Gear for Canyon Tuna Trips

Jimbo
05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm going on one of those overnight canyon tuna trips in September. Probably 25 guys. Happens to be out of Pt Pleasant here in NJ. I have my own rod and reel, but I was curious do I need to bring along a lot of gear? It seems the more I read posted by the charter captains, these trips are about 95% fishing with a long flourocarbon leader, and 8-9.0 circle hook and butterfish. Does it make any sense to take more along than a good supply of hooks, a spool of leader, and a handful of barrel sinkers? They say a light setup and sabiki rigs and squid jigs in case they happen on a school, but as for the heavier duty tackle what else does it make sense to have along.

MakoMike
05-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Lots of extra hooks and leaders. I've never done it off a party boat, but from what I hear there are some horrific tangles, that the mates just have to cut away. An extra spool or two of line would probably also be a good idea, in case you hook into something you just can't stop. It happens.

thefishingfreak
05-17-2006, 09:44 PM
ask this in the offshore forum on www.noreast.com
there's a guy merowtiz that lives for this partyboat stuff.:point:

nautibuoys
05-18-2006, 11:22 AM
We've done the tuna trips out of RI in the past and have done well. A couple suggestions over what already suggested: regular, shortshank 'j' hooks; fluoro leaders in different weights (100, 80 and 60 lb), balloons (to float chunks away from boat), 6, 8 & 12 oz bank sinkers, elastic bands (to attach weights but can drop off), squid (they typically chunk butterfish but sometimes a different bait was the key), and a spinning rod (to catch squid or mahi-mahi that pop up). There are some RI fishing websites that also offers suggestions for equipment to bring.

Fish On
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Me! Take me please!