Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Jimbo

Gear for Canyon Tuna Trips

I'm going on one of those overnight canyon tuna trips in September. Probably 25 guys. Happens to be out of Pt Pleasant here in NJ. I have my own rod and reel, but I was curious do I need to bring along a lot of gear? It seems the more I read posted by the charter captains, these trips are about 95% fishing with a long flourocarbon leader, and 8-9.0 circle hook and butterfish. Does it make any sense to take more along than a good supply of hooks, a spool of leader, and a handful of barrel sinkers? They say a light setup and sabiki rigs and squid jigs in case they happen on a school, but as for the heavier duty tackle what else does it make sense to have along.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
MakoMike

Lots of extra hooks and leaders. I've never done it off a party boat, but from what I hear there are some horrific tangles, that the mates just have to cut away. An extra spool or two of line would probably also be a good idea, in case you hook into something you just can't stop. It happens.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

ask this in the offshore forum on www.noreast.com
there's a guy merowtiz that lives for this partyboat stuff.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
nautibuoys

Canyon Tuna trips

We've done the tuna trips out of RI in the past and have done well. A couple suggestions over what already suggested: regular, shortshank 'j' hooks; fluoro leaders in different weights (100, 80 and 60 lb), balloons (to float chunks away from boat), 6, 8 & 12 oz bank sinkers, elastic bands (to attach weights but can drop off), squid (they typically chunk butterfish but sometimes a different bait was the key), and a spinning rod (to catch squid or mahi-mahi that pop up). There are some RI fishing websites that also offers suggestions for equipment to bring.
nautibuoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
Me! Take me please!
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote