View Full Version : RHODE ISLAND STAKEHOLDER RIVER HERRING WORKSHOP - Tuesday 6pm

JohnR
01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
RHODE ISLAND STAKEHOLDER RIVER HERRING WORKSHOP

TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2007

6:00 PM

URI Narragansett Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium
South Ferry Road, Narragansett, RI

AGENDA
1. Review of River Herring stock status
2. Discussion about further actions taking place (other states, ASMFC, NMFS)
3. Audience questions for DEM

The meeting is open to the public.

I'm going to go prior to the Gansett Surf meeting...

RIROCKHOUND
01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
John:
Depends on my meeting in providence this afternoon.
If I get done early enough I'll be there as well...

Fish_Eye
01-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I attended last nights meeting and I wish I could say it was encouraging.

The stats are in from last years runs and there has been no significant improvement over the near collapse in 2005. The biologists are busy gathering data, attempting to restore runs, but they have no idea as to why the collapse happened.

Zach Harvey from The Fisherman brought up the correlation between the new industrial pair trawling fleet and the demise of the river herring. The response was that they know that there is some “co-mingling” of alewives and blueback herring with the targeted Atlantic herring; however, they have no idea of what percentage.

I brought up the fact that a promise was made that there would be more observer coverage. I was told that a significant increase in observer coverage occurred during last year, perhaps double the previous coverage – at a cost of over 4 million dollars…and this years budget only allows for $100,000. Even with all the new observers on board, they have neglected to get any real hard data on the percentage of river herring by-catch or should I say by-kill. The likelihood that we will get more useful data is bleak.

IMHO there might be issues with increased predation from holdover stripers, cormorants, seals, there may be water quality concerns, but none of these factors happened overnight…pair trawling did. We need to get more data, we need to study the migratory patterns of bluebacks and alewives with a tagging and monitoring program, and we need more observer coverage to identify where and when these fish are being intercepted at sea. Don’t look forward to live-lining any herring in the near future…or maybe in your lifetime.

Fishpart
01-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Mike, Thank you for the analysis and for attending.

What if anything can we do to effect any changes in eliminating the pair trawlers?? Even without hard data (which is practically unobtainable by the stakeholders that it effects the most) we know that the Atlantic herring fishery is also effecting the river herring...

flatts1
01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Fisheye,

A recent peer-reviewed study done for Oceana concluded that there needs to be at least 20% observer coverage in a fishery in order to adequately monitor it. This percentage is needed in order to prevent what is called the "Observer Effect" (participants only playing by the rules while having an observer onboard).

That said observer coverage in the herring fishery peaked at about 13 percent a couple years ago. With the current funding there will only be about 2 to 3 percent coverage - no where near what is needed. :doh:

Best
Mike F.