Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

RHODE ISLAND STAKEHOLDER RIVER HERRING WORKSHOP - Tuesday 6pm

Quote:
RHODE ISLAND STAKEHOLDER RIVER HERRING WORKSHOP

TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2007

6:00 PM

URI Narragansett Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium
South Ferry Road, Narragansett, RI

AGENDA
1. Review of River Herring stock status
2. Discussion about further actions taking place (other states, ASMFC, NMFS)
3. Audience questions for DEM

The meeting is open to the public.
I'm going to go prior to the Gansett Surf meeting...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

John:
Depends on my meeting in providence this afternoon.
If I get done early enough I'll be there as well...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Fish_Eye

Not looking good.

I attended last nights meeting and I wish I could say it was encouraging.

The stats are in from last years runs and there has been no significant improvement over the near collapse in 2005. The biologists are busy gathering data, attempting to restore runs, but they have no idea as to why the collapse happened.

Zach Harvey from The Fisherman brought up the correlation between the new industrial pair trawling fleet and the demise of the river herring. The response was that they know that there is some “co-mingling” of alewives and blueback herring with the targeted Atlantic herring; however, they have no idea of what percentage.

I brought up the fact that a promise was made that there would be more observer coverage. I was told that a significant increase in observer coverage occurred during last year, perhaps double the previous coverage – at a cost of over 4 million dollars…and this years budget only allows for $100,000. Even with all the new observers on board, they have neglected to get any real hard data on the percentage of river herring by-catch or should I say by-kill. The likelihood that we will get more useful data is bleak.

IMHO there might be issues with increased predation from holdover stripers, cormorants, seals, there may be water quality concerns, but none of these factors happened overnight…pair trawling did. We need to get more data, we need to study the migratory patterns of bluebacks and alewives with a tagging and monitoring program, and we need more observer coverage to identify where and when these fish are being intercepted at sea. Don’t look forward to live-lining any herring in the near future…or maybe in your lifetime.

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Mike, Thank you for the analysis and for attending.

What if anything can we do to effect any changes in eliminating the pair trawlers?? Even without hard data (which is practically unobtainable by the stakeholders that it effects the most) we know that the Atlantic herring fishery is also effecting the river herring...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
flatts1

Observer coverage

Fisheye,

A recent peer-reviewed study done for Oceana concluded that there needs to be at least 20% observer coverage in a fishery in order to adequately monitor it. This percentage is needed in order to prevent what is called the "Observer Effect" (participants only playing by the rules while having an observer onboard).

That said observer coverage in the herring fishery peaked at about 13 percent a couple years ago. With the current funding there will only be about 2 to 3 percent coverage - no where near what is needed.

Best
Mike F.

"Successful management of striped bass,
and all fish for that matter, is 90 percent
commonsense guesswork."
-- Ted Williams
flatts1 is offline   Reply With Quote