View Full Version : Need some help..with a purchase

johnny ducketts
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Ok,

here's the problem, My wife is getting me a pair of waders for my birthday, the only problem is I don't know anything about them, I fish mostly sandy beaches and not a ton of cobble, rocky areas.

So I am thinking of a breatheable, bootfoot. style, but what about sizing?.. Is it your normal shoe size, or 1 size larger for a pair of heavy socks?

Brand,? Something from cabelas ok?

the final question anyone, wanna go fishing with me when I get them? I have never done the whole night fishing thing yet, but would like to try and raise one for team sb.

thanks.:wave:

basswipe
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I prefer bootfoot especially in the sand.Go by your usual foot size.Depending on how much she's willing to spend you could go for the high end Simms for $400+.

Best bang for the buck imo is Cabelas Gold Medal waders.I've had mine for over 5yrs,but I'm also not a hardcore rock hopper either(bad knees).
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0052606830982a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=+gold+medal+waders&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=+gold+medal+waders&noImage=0

The Premiums are ok but I would imagine they might not last as long.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_830982&id=0011367830208a

RNC
08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Try L.L.Bean also. I think the bootfoot were $99 but they are very good with any issues you might have with them.

Joe
08-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Go for the ones with the best return policy.

The Dad Fisherman
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Not a big fan of the Boot foot....they chafe your legs and don't offer any ankle support.

I guess the big question is where are you going to use them? if your are on the rocks all the time i would go with the stocking foot and good boots for the support.

if you are just going to be walking the beach go with the Bootfoot to keep the sand out.......but make sure you wear long pants or high socks to keep them from rubbing your legs.

tynan19
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I have the Cabela's Lace Up Bootfoot and love the support they give. Very comfortable also. I think they are called the GuideTech II.

woodghost
08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Wetsuit and the new korkers! safer and no worries about depth when wading to the outer sand bars or rocks out of reach with waders.

Frankiesurf
08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I have had a pair of Cabela's bootfoot neoprene waders for at least 10 years. No problems at all except for the heat. I only use them in Spring, fall and winter.

I recently got myself a pair of Cabela's Three Forks Bootfoots. They are great so far, especially at the nice price of $65 with shipping. They are comfortable and you won't really sweat in them.

These are sold in whole shoe sizes. If you are a 10 then buy a 10. Try them on with a few pairs of socks or just heavy socks just to make sure you don't get caught out in the cold. The return policy is really good so if they don't fit just send them back.

bassballer
08-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Wetsuit and the new korkers! safer and no worries about depth when wading to the outer sand bars or rocks out of reach with waders.

it doesnt sound like he needs a wetsuit or korkers where he fishes.

I would go with the LL Bean bootfoots. If anything, and I mean anything goes wrong with them you can exchange no questions asked. The best return policy IMHO.

gone fishin
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
LL Bean breathables - under a hundred buks and get a good pair of boots. You will want the ankle support if you fish in cobble areas.
Best return policy of all. You can simply walk in to their store and do the return. No mail and wait. They have a store in Burlington MA right off 128.

Adam_777
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Sad truth is to get to the rocks you cross the beach most of the time.I have stocking foot waders and they get heavy on the walk to the rocks over the beach.Thinking about going bootfoot .Also the boots with the felt soles and korkers cinched down on them are big already probably same as bootfoot.Can't be much difference in my case just no sand intrusion jamming my toes all up and weighing me down.Thats my experience with stockingfoot waders.Not so fun.

Rockport24
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I have the Cabela's Lace Up Bootfoot and love the support they give. Very comfortable also. I think they are called the GuideTech II.

second for these, they are the best, if you are a normal sized person they should fit you fine, the ones in my shoe size didn't quite conincide well with my inseam, which is odd b/c I'm kinda short, so I exhanged them for stocking foot, but these are the best waders going, I wish they made them in different sizes with the integrated boot foot.

nightfighter
08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I have the Orvis Silver Label Bootfoot model, going on five years. They were retired after last Cuttyhunk trip. Felt boots are now shot, but they have been great. Backups have been the LL Beans with the Lug soles. Orvis has more room, LL Bean has heavier material.
I would look at these though...

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=58T9&dir_id=758&group_id=777&cat_id=5594&subcat_id=11027

these most resemble what I just retired...
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=42EC&dir_id=758&Group_ID=777&cat_id=5593&subcat_id=7310

johnny ducketts
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys, this is what I just ordered today
L.L. Bean Breathable Emerger Boot-Foot Waders, I really like the return policy they have in place, and there customer service is second to none.

now, who wants to go fishing !