Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Need some help..with a purchase

Ok,

here's the problem, My wife is getting me a pair of waders for my birthday, the only problem is I don't know anything about them, I fish mostly sandy beaches and not a ton of cobble, rocky areas.

So I am thinking of a breatheable, bootfoot. style, but what about sizing?.. Is it your normal shoe size, or 1 size larger for a pair of heavy socks?

Brand,? Something from cabelas ok?

the final question anyone, wanna go fishing with me when I get them? I have never done the whole night fishing thing yet, but would like to try and raise one for team sb.

thanks.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
basswipe

I prefer bootfoot especially in the sand.Go by your usual foot size.Depending on how much she's willing to spend you could go for the high end Simms for $400+.

Best bang for the buck imo is Cabelas Gold Medal waders.I've had mine for over 5yrs,but I'm also not a hardcore rock hopper either(bad knees).
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ders&noImage=0

The Premiums are ok but I would imagine they might not last as long.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0011367830208a

Last edited by basswipe; 08-10-2008 at 12:28 PM..
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
RNC
stuck in a desert :(

Try L.L.Bean also. I think the bootfoot were $99 but they are very good with any issues you might have with them.
RNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Joe

Go for the ones with the best return policy.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not a big fan of the Boot foot....they chafe your legs and don't offer any ankle support.

I guess the big question is where are you going to use them? if your are on the rocks all the time i would go with the stocking foot and good boots for the support.

if you are just going to be walking the beach go with the Bootfoot to keep the sand out.......but make sure you wear long pants or high socks to keep them from rubbing your legs.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I have the Cabela's Lace Up Bootfoot and love the support they give. Very comfortable also. I think they are called the GuideTech II.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
woodghost
rippen lips

Wetsuit and the new korkers! safer and no worries about depth when wading to the outer sand bars or rocks out of reach with waders.
woodghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Frankiesurf

I have had a pair of Cabela's bootfoot neoprene waders for at least 10 years. No problems at all except for the heat. I only use them in Spring, fall and winter.

I recently got myself a pair of Cabela's Three Forks Bootfoots. They are great so far, especially at the nice price of $65 with shipping. They are comfortable and you won't really sweat in them.

These are sold in whole shoe sizes. If you are a 10 then buy a 10. Try them on with a few pairs of socks or just heavy socks just to make sure you don't get caught out in the cold. The return policy is really good so if they don't fit just send them back.

Frankiesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodghost View Post
Wetsuit and the new korkers! safer and no worries about depth when wading to the outer sand bars or rocks out of reach with waders.
it doesnt sound like he needs a wetsuit or korkers where he fishes.

I would go with the LL Bean bootfoots. If anything, and I mean anything goes wrong with them you can exchange no questions asked. The best return policy IMHO.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
gone fishin

LL Bean breathables - under a hundred buks and get a good pair of boots. You will want the ankle support if you fish in cobble areas.
Best return policy of all. You can simply walk in to their store and do the return. No mail and wait. They have a store in Burlington MA right off 128.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Adam_777

Sad truth is to get to the rocks you cross the beach most of the time.I have stocking foot waders and they get heavy on the walk to the rocks over the beach.Thinking about going bootfoot .Also the boots with the felt soles and korkers cinched down on them are big already probably same as bootfoot.Can't be much difference in my case just no sand intrusion jamming my toes all up and weighing me down.Thats my experience with stockingfoot waders.Not so fun.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan19 View Post
I have the Cabela's Lace Up Bootfoot and love the support they give. Very comfortable also. I think they are called the GuideTech II.
second for these, they are the best, if you are a normal sized person they should fit you fine, the ones in my shoe size didn't quite conincide well with my inseam, which is odd b/c I'm kinda short, so I exhanged them for stocking foot, but these are the best waders going, I wish they made them in different sizes with the integrated boot foot.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I have the Orvis Silver Label Bootfoot model, going on five years. They were retired after last Cuttyhunk trip. Felt boots are now shot, but they have been great. Backups have been the LL Beans with the Lug soles. Orvis has more room, LL Bean has heavier material.
I would look at these though...

http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...ubcat_id=11027

these most resemble what I just retired...
http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...subcat_id=7310

Last edited by nightfighter; 08-11-2008 at 05:21 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Thanks guys, this is what I just ordered today
L.L. Bean Breathable Emerger Boot-Foot Waders, I really like the return policy they have in place, and there customer service is second to none.

now, who wants to go fishing !

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote