View Full Version : Hawaii's Big Wave compititon

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/us/08surf.html

I heard some 40-50' waves are hitting the beach an hour ago. That's insane man.

GattaFish
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Thats some big stuff,,,,,

MAKAI
12-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I've been at the pipeline at watching 30+. Makes your neck hairs twitch. Can't comprehend 50

BigFish
12-09-2009, 08:18 PM
In grape smugglers?:no2:

MAKAI
12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Larry,
No, that was a clothing optional day:eek:
Hey, are there any plugfest or whatever they are called this year ?
and can you buy plugs at them ?

BigFish
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Not this year! But next! February...not sure if the 13th or the 20th? No selling though. Swapping, Ho'ing, gifting......no selling!:no2:

MAKAI
12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Can tourist come and ogle ?

BigFish
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
:topic: Its all Bob's fault!:rotf2:

MAKAI
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
You started it with the grape smugglers comment.:jester:

BigFish
12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
It is after all surf wear!:huh:

joe the plumber
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
That swell was due to hit Half Moon Bay today.The 24 competitors voted to not hold the contest.Seems the waves didnt hold up.So we wait for Mavericks.......

Crafty Angler
12-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Laird Hamilton, arguably the world's best big wave rider at Peahi (Jaws) off Maui on Monday the 7th

When asked how he was able to do it, his father, legendary surfer Billy Hamilton, said "He was born with three testicles"....:laughs:

No doubt

YouTube - Jaws Surfing December 07, 2009 - Laird Hamilton killing it at Peahi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9axiYNYBo)

BigFish
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
So today was...."Big Wednesday"!:uhuh:

Crafty Angler
12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
So today was...."Big Wednesday"!:uhuh:

Haven't seen any footage from today's swell yet Larry - but here's more from Monday and some of Tuesday's swell too

Jaws was definitely rockin'...:eek5:

YouTube - Jaws, Peahi, Maui December 7, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htctEdlcNC0&feature=related)

YouTube - Surfing Jaws (Peahi) Maui December 8, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYTXdVI3Kis&NR=1)

ProfessorM
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
that was my backyard when I was a toddler as I was born on Oahu and lived on the north shore in late 50's. Unfortunately we moved back to Mass when I was 3 or so. Other than pics of me frolicking in the sand i don't remember a darn thing. Been lucky enough to have been back several times but have never seen waves that big. I have also been to the windsurfing mecca of the world, Ho`okipa beach in Maui, to see nuts ride waves almost like those on windsurfer boards, friggin nuts. Those people have a death wish and real fun to watch, from a distance. No wonder Brass Kahunas is a Hawaiian word.:uhuh: Hawaii is the most beautiful spot on earth.

MakoMike
12-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I watched most of the Eddie Akau memorial from Waimea the other day. Surf wasn't too big, maybe 20 feet on the sets.

RIJIMMY
12-11-2009, 01:00 PM
my sister is out there, works 2 weeks from Hawaii every 6 weeks, she was watching the competition.

MAKAI
12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I watched most of the Eddie Akau memorial from Waimea the other day. Surf wasn't too big, maybe 20 feet on the sets.

Eddie would go !

vineyardblues
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Hawaii is the most beautiful spot on earth.

After you left :rotf2:

agsurfr
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Laird's ride at Teahupo a few years back was pretty spectacular--heavy wave--fearless

Crafty Angler
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I've seen Riding Giants probably 2 or 3 dozen times - that one wave is still the most incredible display of Nature's force I've ever seen - on top of the fact that he actually dropped in on it...:eek5:

I still like Greg Noll's comment best - if there's one guy that oughta know, it's him

Laird at Teahupo, Tahiti:

YouTube - Laird Hamilton takes on Teahupoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQQtxb8wv0)

joe the plumber
12-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Crafty,
I've said it before here and I'll say it again. "Riding Giants" is one of the few movies I wll actually cancell plans to stay home and watch.

Those kids who went to Hawaii,pretty much turned thier backs on society,and started discovering big wave surfing......Well,lets put it this way.I envy people like that who have such passion.Thats what I call living!!!

ProfessorM
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM

YouTube - Laird Hamilton takes on Teahupoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQQtxb8wv0)

that is awesome and insane all at once

MakoMike
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Tom Carrol was robbed at Waimea!

OLD GOAT
12-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Sweetie and I went and watched ten years ago(with about50ers) the day after the competition and man o man it is humbling.

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree, that guy Laird must have a a bag of spare testicles. I can't imagine how he is still alive. Some of the waves he has ridden were friggin huge. That one that everyone talks about is a bizarre spot. It is more like a hydraulic jump then an ocean wave . Incredibly thick and heavy with a ton of energy. You fall inside that and your dead.

Heck when it gets 5-7 I think it's rough! 30-50 wtf?

agsurfr
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I've seen Riding Giants probably 2 or 3 dozen times - that one wave is still the most incredible display of Nature's force I've ever seen - on top of the fact that he actually dropped in on it...:eek5:

I still like Greg Noll's comment best - if there's one guy that oughta know, it's him

Crafty--

You hit the nail on the head--a force of nature--that's what I find so intriguing about surfing--jump on this mass, this swell of energy and smile.

You surf??

I just got a 9'2" Stewart Hydrohull, really liking it.

ab

Crafty Angler
12-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Crafty--

You surf??

ab

Yeah - it'll be 47 years next summer if I'm still ambulatory by then...:doh:

Mostly on a Morey Boogie twin fin these days because
of serious back problems - but I did break out my 8'2" Nectar noserider for a swell this fall with no ill effects - Gary shaped it for me himself shortly before his stint at the Crowbar Hotel

I really enjoyed Riding Giants because of the perspective of the veterans like Greg Noll, Lopez, Billy Hamilton and the others on what's happening today - it's come a long way in terms of performance

Hell, the first board I rode was a 9'8" Greg Noll with triple redwood stringers and an inlaid glassed wooden skeg

Yeah, that was a while ago...:hs:

agsurfr
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Crafty--

You've got me beat by, well--let's say a wide margin. I didn't start surfing until I was in my 40's. Something about sitting on the board, looking out at the swells, feeling the rise and fall. I discovered it to be harder than it looks and more fun than it looks.

With respect to the old timers, Noll and some of the others were every bit as fearless as these big wave guys are now. Imagine paddling into some of those beasts with a heavy wood monster, no jet skiis to sling you or rescue you when the bad thing happens, no life vests--yeesh. I cannot imagine it then or now. Never seen huge surf in person and I've only surfed NE. My philosophy is when it's over my head I'm in over my head. Enjoyed some good storm surf this summer on MV. Love to see Mavericks, from the cliff! I guess now is about the time. Just the sound of that surf sends chills down my spine.

Don't suppose you still have that Noll board??

ab