View Full Version : Trailer Breaks/bearings

angler management
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Getting the boat ready for the year and decided to check the trailer breaks/bearings.

I could not get the breaks off. Had to cut them out.
Tried 2 kinds of penatrating oil and even heat.

After getting them off, I tried to pound out the studs. After about 2 hours I got 1 out.
Gave up and purchased new breaks.

fish4striper
03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
I hear nothing but issues with tie downs, I went with kodiaks based on reviews I saw

angler management
03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
They came stock on the Load Rite trailer.

On the good side. Bearing buddies have them looking like new.
Only bearing that was starting to pit was one the rear seal rusted out.
Noticed the grease on the back of the wheel.

Also,

LOVE my new Garage to have a working space. Started the breaks and found I needed new parts. Left everything laying on the floor until the order came in. Now I just need heat. (500 watt flood lights work up close)

Van
04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Use lots of Neva-seize when you reassemble.
I only use the nuclear grade. Its online only though.

Mr. Sandman
04-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I hate trailer breaks, there has to be a better way.
Your garage is awesome, I would love to have my boat indoors with a workshop along side.

macojoe
04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Ditto!! I have the work shop but no garage, i have disconected my breals for years!!

Sea Dangles
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I disconnected mine and they were still locking up.They are now removed.

Rip Runner
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I removed mine too and no more one wheel burn-outs leaving my driveway. I pull a 23 inboard with a half ton 4x4 GMC and stops it fine. I wet slip the boat so it's only a local tow 2 twice a year.

PRBuzz
04-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Brakes gone, too.

fishaholic18
04-01-2011, 04:05 PM
They came stock on the Load Rite trailer.

On the good side. Bearing buddies have them looking like new.
Only bearing that was starting to pit was one the rear seal rusted out.
Noticed the grease on the back of the wheel.

Also,

LOVE my new Garage to have a working space. Started the breaks and found I needed new parts. Left everything laying on the floor until the order came in. Now I just need heat. (500 watt flood lights work up close)
Bearing buddies are bad news. When you pump grease in, the pressure rolls the inner seal and lets water in. There should be no reason to need to add grease if you use good seals, caps, and pack bearings properly. My bearings never pitted. I would repack and replace seals end of every season.

Clammer
04-01-2011, 06:14 PM
SURE . WTF DOES THAT DO ME IN FLORIDA ..LOL:love:

Mr. Sandman
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
...no more one wheel burn-outs .

Classic...I bet we all have stories of wheels locked up dragging the trailer across the yard plowing a trench along the way or leaving rubber on the pavement and if the boat is not on the trailer the trailer jumps violently as the wheel is stubborn to move. In the end you have a flat spot on the tire and a bad smell. But you don't care because the bite is hot and heavy and you need to move the boat now godamnit!:jump1: