View Full Version : Torium Spool Bearing Removal?

tlapinski
06-27-2011, 06:44 AM
While fishing my Torium 14 this weekend, mid session it started making some ungodly noises while casting and retreiving jigs. It started just on the casts but eventually migrated to the retreive as well. Tried doing some on the spot repair, but wasn't comfortable with a complete breakdown in the middle of the night on a tailgate done by the light of a flash light. Anyway, I took it apart last ngiht and found the bearing attached to the spool was all crusty. Strange because it was clean last week when I broke the reel down for oil & greasing, but I will leave that mystery to the fishing gods. I searched around online for a way to remove this bearing from the spool shaft, but couldn't find it anywhere. Every breakdown and service description left this bearing in place. So, anyone ever remove it or have some thoughts on how it is done?

tlapinski
06-27-2011, 06:52 AM
This is the bearing I am referring to. It looks better now as I flushed it with oil to clean it for service until I get a repalcement, but I don't want to leave it in there and risk it getting worse.

numbskull
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
If you search under calcutta supertune I think there is a thread where a guy shows how to make a tool to push that pin out, or I suppose you could just drill a hole in a block and use a small drift pin to tap it out while the block supports the shaft.

Nah that is not it. But here is the link on supertuning that may interest some. http://super-tuning.home.mindspring.com/index%20page.html

tlapinski
06-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Cool web site. I wasn't sure if there was some of trick to removing the bearing as the shaft pin is in the way.