Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Torium Spool Bearing Removal?

While fishing my Torium 14 this weekend, mid session it started making some ungodly noises while casting and retreiving jigs. It started just on the casts but eventually migrated to the retreive as well. Tried doing some on the spot repair, but wasn't comfortable with a complete breakdown in the middle of the night on a tailgate done by the light of a flash light. Anyway, I took it apart last ngiht and found the bearing attached to the spool was all crusty. Strange because it was clean last week when I broke the reel down for oil & greasing, but I will leave that mystery to the fishing gods. I searched around online for a way to remove this bearing from the spool shaft, but couldn't find it anywhere. Every breakdown and service description left this bearing in place. So, anyone ever remove it or have some thoughts on how it is done?

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

This is the bearing I am referring to. It looks better now as I flushed it with oil to clean it for service until I get a repalcement, but I don't want to leave it in there and risk it getting worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torium14 002 (Medium).jpg (64.5 KB, 28 views)

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

If you search under calcutta supertune I think there is a thread where a guy shows how to make a tool to push that pin out, or I suppose you could just drill a hole in a block and use a small drift pin to tap it out while the block supports the shaft.

Nah that is not it. But here is the link on supertuning that may interest some. http://super-tuning.home.mindspring....ex%20page.html

Last edited by numbskull; 06-27-2011 at 12:47 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Cool web site. I wasn't sure if there was some of trick to removing the bearing as the shaft pin is in the way.

- a wise man.