View Full Version : Cr-Apple

RIJIMMY
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I hate Apple, always have.
I think they're a marketing engine that tries to sell you on whats cool. There are some cool innivations they've come up with but others have done it better. Its like a cult of crap
So I get an iPad for Christmas. Way too much $$ but the wife was excited to get it for me.
I fall in love with the Garage Band app - in order to plug in guitar, you need a$100 digital interface. Fine, go to the Apple store get the Apogee Jam. All over the package - for Ipad2.
I get it home, doenst work. go online- all kinds of noise that interface has issues with apple (even though thats what its made for). spend an hour with tech support, no luck. Then, my Ipad speakers dont work, volume thinks it has headphones plugged in. Back online - all kinds of noise with people having this issue. WTF? I call apple support. The guy tells me there must be dirt in the headphone jack. I tell him this is 3 weeks old, never left my house, and in a protective case. I have a droid phone I beat the crap out of, carry in my pocket and yet the headphones and speaker work perfectly, but an apple product is so fragile it gets "dirty" and wont work from home use? I then go off on a tangent on how I've had pcs for years, all kinds of music recording software and NEVER had a single problem. we spend another hour on the phone - log into itunes on my other computer, running around teh house - f-that. He says I can go to the apple store and I actually, I need to drive the 40mins to go there anyway to return the Apogee. I had enough and called Best Buy (where wife bought it) I tell them the quality is crap, what can I do to return it. they said I can get all $$$ back as long as I return in a week or so. So im going to apple and it no luck, Im returing this. If I buy something and it causes me more grief than good then its not worth it.

The Dad Fisherman
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
http://blog.otterbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/steve_koolaid2.jpg

JohnnyD
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Apple is one of the most effective marketing machines there is. Don't get me wrong, the iPod (which turned things around for Apple) was ground-breaking. But, the company has effectively convinced their fanboys that when something is with their Apple product, the user is suppose to think "hmm... I must have done something wrong."

It's an electronic device, not a Bentley.

I'll stick with my PCs where I can build one that has twice the power as a Mac for half the price. Oh and when I want to upgrade my components, I can pick and choose what I want to replace. Also, there are ways of running MacOS on a non-Apple machine so the "stability" argument doesn't hold any weight to me.

spence
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Haters.

-spence

PaulS
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I have an ipod touch where the battery dies in about 1 week - even when I haven't used it.

zacs
01-18-2012, 04:02 PM
RIJ,
I agree with you completely. I can't stand anything apple.

PRBuzz
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know anything about Apple stuff: never owned a single anything made by Apple.

I actually dread having to go to the Apple website and download QuickTime for some web pages....:smash:

piemma
01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I work for a company that makes mobile apps for banks so we are "Apple" centric. When I joined them I had nothing Apple and never had. Now I have a Mac AirBook, an iPhone and an iPad2. I had a little bit of a learning curve but once I learned all the nuances of the platform I love it. My AirBook never fails, boots in 3 seconds, powers down in the same amount of time and I run all the regular MS stuff like Word, Excel, PP.

Raven
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm still gonna buy an apple computer someday
but not an I pod
@ restaurants they'll have a similar device
(just announced)
at your table to not only order the meal
but to pay for it too
so essentially it's going to be copied

spence
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I work for a company that makes mobile apps for banks so we are "Apple" centric. When I joined them I had nothing Apple and never had. Now I have a Mac AirBook, an iPhone and an iPad2. I had a little bit of a learning curve but once I learned all the nuances of the platform I love it. My AirBook never fails, boots in 3 seconds, powers down in the same amount of time and I run all the regular MS stuff like Word, Excel, PP.
Yea, everybody in our house has an Apple product except for the infant but he'll have an iPod before you know it.

People who think that Apple is all marketing don't get the details. Mac products are designed to be intuitive, so the user can focus on the experience and not the headache. The effort that goes into industrial design is incredible. It's why that Apple product looks better sitting on the table and feels better in your hands...it's part art part machine. The unibody on the Macbook allows them to make it lighter and smaller than most PC's. They actually machine the frame from a single piece of aluminum. Nobody else does this...And they're cool. Whipping out your new 4G iPhone is cool. Whipping out your Blackberry is not cool, unless you're 12.

They have great marketing but Apple is one of the largest companies in the world because of their innovative products...period.

Disclaimer: Apple uses my companies software for product design.

-spence

Piscator
01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
ask RIM what they think of Apple, wait who is RIM?

Raven
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
let me know when you can plug
a transducer in the 4g phone
and lower it over the side
of a boat...:rotf2:

JohnR
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll stick with my PCs where I can build one that has twice the power as a Mac for half the price. Oh and when I want to upgrade my components, I can pick and choose what I want to replace. Also, there are ways of running MacOS on a non-Apple machine so the "stability" argument doesn't hold any weight to me.

Agreeing with you from my W7 $500 in upgrade parts which will beat a $3500 8Core MAC Pro in most cases and the $5000 12 Core in many.

i5 2500K, 16GB ram, 1.5GB Radeon and I haven't even O'Clocked...

Sea Dangles
01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Yea, everybody in our house has an Apple product except for the infant but he'll have an iPod before you know it.

People who think that Apple is all marketing don't get the details. Mac products are designed to be intuitive, so the user can focus on the experience and not the headache. The effort that goes into industrial design is incredible. It's why that Apple product looks better sitting on the table and feels better in your hands...it's part art part machine. The unibody on the Macbook allows them to make it lighter and smaller than most PC's. They actually machine the frame from a single piece of aluminum. Nobody else does this...And they're cool. Whipping out your new 4G iPhone is cool. Whipping out your Blackberry is not cool, unless you're 12.

They have great marketing but Apple is one of the largest companies in the world because of their innovative products...period.

Disclaimer: Apple uses my companies software for product design.

-spence

Thank You for introducing a new low for shallow.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Ipads and Iphones are a waste unless you hack them. Once you have Cydia it makes sense to own one.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Agreeing with you from my W7 $500 in upgrade parts which will beat a $3500 8Core MAC Pro in most cases and the $5000 12 Core in many.

What a nerd:rotf2:

spence
01-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Thank You for introducing a new low for shallow.

Please explain.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
This still makes me laugh......

MadTV - Steve Jobs Parody - i-phone - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jB2hxOCFw)

RIJIMMY
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=spence;915458]People who think that Apple is all marketing don't get the details. Mac products are designed to be intuitive, so the user can focus on the experience and not the headache. The effort that goes into industrial design is incredible. It's why that Apple product looks better sitting on the table and feels better in your hands...it's part art part machine. The unibody on the Macbook allows them to make it lighter and smaller than most PC's. They actually machine the frame from a single piece of aluminum. Nobody else does this...And they're cool. Whipping out your new 4G iPhone is cool. Whipping out your Blackberry is not cool, unless you're 12.
.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

wow - Am i Suprised?
Typical apple superiority crap. Spence - why is there ALWAYS a line at the apple store in the customer support line? Why when I called apple support, before asking me what my problem was, the phone rep tried to sell me $79 support plan? For something that is supposed to be intuitivie, they sure put a lot into support and apparently people need it.
Spence, you can spout your nonsense but the reality is that Saturday, I have to drive 30 miles to Dedham to return the $100 item that is for ipad that doesnt work, I then have to have an apple geek look at my BRAND NEW ipad and tell me what I already know, then drive back to Mansfield to Best Buy to return it. I guess spending my day off to have a slick item is considered cool, but I'm ripped. We have a Wii, 2 DSs, 2 laptops pcs, 2 desktop pcs, and andriod phones. Tons of software and never, not once have I had to call support. I've spent 3+ hrs on the ipad an will spend another 3-4 this weekend. F-that. I dont need to look cool to 16yr olds.

The Dad Fisherman
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I LOVE THIS THREAD :hihi:

RIJIMMY
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I should have my kid take a video of my discussion when I go to the apple store on Sunday. I'll be a youtube sensation.

GregW
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I should have my kid take a video of my discussion when I go to the apple store on Sunday. I'll be a youtube sensation.

I had the complete opposite experience with Apple. I broke my iphone, when it fell out of my pocket while unloading my canal bike.
Screen had a crack on it, still uisable , but I couldn't live with it.
I made an appt at the Apple store for an hour later. Drove up and told the guy , hey I dropped it I want to know my best option for replacing it. The guy went out back and got me a new one, said it was free of charge because the iphones had a recption issue. They then asked me if they wanted me to have them sync my contacts. I said sure and 5 minutes later I am out the door with a brand new phone free of charge. Went home plugged it in and it added everything from my voicemail to texts off my last backup.
I'm suprised youa re having a hard time.

Raven
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
i just ate some apple PIE

JohnnyD
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Spence - why is there ALWAYS a line at the apple store in the customer support line? Why when I called apple support, before asking me what my problem was, the phone rep tried to sell me $79 support plan? For something that is supposed to be intuitivie, they sure put a lot into support and apparently people need it.

The Apple Marketing and PR force has trained Apple product users to always assume "well it must be something I did wrong. Can't be my Apple product."

If Apple is so great and meticulous with design, how exactly did something so simple like the whole antenna issue occur with the iPhone 4. Then, Apple tried telling people "well you're holding it wrong," just another way of reinforcing the "we are perfect, users are stupid" brand.

Like I said before, the iPod and iPhone were groundbreaking. There is a lot to be commended for being first-to-market with those types of products. However, let's also keep in mind that it's not really the products that are the source of Apple's success, but the way in which they made purchasing music easier and then pigeon-holed users into using iTunes for all their Apple products. The iPod may have just been another mp3 player if it wasn't for iTunes.

spence
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
wow - Am i Suprised?
Typical apple superiority crap. Spence - why is there ALWAYS a line at the apple store in the customer support line? Why when I called apple support, before asking me what my problem was, the phone rep tried to sell me $79 support plan? For something that is supposed to be intuitivie, they sure put a lot into support and apparently people need it. Spence, you can spout your nonsense but the reality is that Saturday, I have to drive 30 miles to Dedham to return the $100 item that is for ipad that doesnt work, I then have to have an apple geek look at my BRAND NEW ipad and tell me what I already know, then drive back to Mansfield to Best Buy to return it. I guess spending my day off to have a slick item is considered cool, but I'm ripped. We have a Wii, 2 DSs, 2 laptops pcs, 2 desktop pcs, and andriod phones. Tons of software and never, not once have I had to call support. I've spent 3+ hrs on the ipad an will spend another 3-4 this weekend. F-that. I dont need to look cool to 16yr olds.

So you're defining your impression of one of the most successful companies in the history of the world off of your ONE bad experience?

I've been to an Apple store for a problem once. My son shattered the LCD on my wife's MacBook. Yes, it wouldn't have happened if I had a Dell, but that's the price/performance tradeoff. I thought the Apple store was silly having to make an appt, deal with the Apple genius etc...but in the end they fixed it at a reasonable price and within a few days. Very happy with the service.

I have no Apple superiority complex. I do think they put a lot more investment in the whole user experience than do PC makers. Some people don't care, fine, do what you want...

And BTW, nobody hooks a guitar up to an iPad, that's just silly :smash:

-spence

Raven
01-19-2012, 10:54 AM
it's just all funny stuff Kev http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/dude-2.png

RIJIMMY
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
So you're defining your impression of one of the most successful companies in the history of the world off of your ONE bad experience?

no - google ipad2 speaker/headphone, go to youtube and search. its all over the place. Tons of people are having the issue. Drop $700 on something, yeah, I guess I expect it to work after a few weeks. I also failed to mention the ipod issues I had and had to have a tech come to my house but thats another story

I've been to an Apple store for a problem once. My son shattered the LCD on my wife's MacBook. Yes, it wouldn't have happened if I had a Dell, but that's the price/performance tradeoff. I thought the Apple store was silly having to make an appt, deal with the Apple genius etc...but in the end they fixed it at a reasonable price and within a few days. Very happy with the service.

you failed to explain why there is ALWAYS a line at the counter. Its because "ease of use" aint to easy. Its like dating a hot chick that is a moron, you dont want to put her down because you want to appear cool but take away her looks your left with a dimwit. Most apple uses put up with the BS so they can remain cool

I have no Apple superiority complex. I do think they put a lot more investment in the whole user experience than do PC makers. Some people don't care, fine, do what you want...

I think they invest a lot in marketing for people like you that think your phone or pc make you hip and creative. Again, I had NO problems with many electronic gadgets over the years, none,

one of the biggest apps for ipad and mac is "garage band". Its one of the hip and creative tools apple sells. I have a few expensive recording programs and garage band is very cool, I give apple credit for it. In order to record, you need to plug into it. Your comment demonstrates the real apple population - hip and creative people, that are not hip and creative! 99% of ipad lovers are playing angry birds and browsing the web, try to use it as a tool for actually doing some-----boing, dont work! I guess apple users like you are still amazed you can write a note with your finger, wow, cool.I

-spence

We'll see how Saturday works out. Spence - want to speculate?

zacs
01-19-2012, 11:11 AM

-spence

if it was a PC you could have fixed it yourself & cheaper.

Our 4 PCs are all laptops, and they are all bulletproof stable, start in seconds load in seconds, were 25% the cost of apples, and run any software, use any parts, and in general, kick ass.

My phones are droids. I want to load in my music... no itunes, I just hook it up to my PC and it appears as a new "drive" and i copy the folders over. If I then want to put that music on another copmuter. hook up the phone to that PC, and the drive appears and I put it over.
The phone recognizes you have music on the phone and it is arranged and access very intuitively.

Same with pictures. No itunes, no BS. just hook up the phone and copy over the pics. to whatever PC you want.

all the same apps.

I have used Iphones and Macs. never a IPad. but the droid tablets are pretty sweet too.... And you've got a bunch of companies competing to make droid devices, so they keep getting better faster. COMPETITION MAKES TECHNOLOGY GREAT. Apple has done everything they can to squash any competition. They suck!

spence
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Like I said before, the iPod and iPhone were groundbreaking. There is a lot to be commended for being first-to-market with those types of products. However, let's also keep in mind that it's not really the products that are the source of Apple's success, but the way in which they made purchasing music easier and then pigeon-holed users into using iTunes for all their Apple products. The iPod may have just been another mp3 player if it wasn't for iTunes.
Like I said, they Apple is focused on the entire user experience.

What you see as being "pigeon-holed" they see as industry transformation. It's funny, people complain about how constraining Apple products are and they end up using them anyway :devil2:

-spence

RIJIMMY
01-19-2012, 12:43 PM

What you see as being "pigeon-holed" they see as industry transformation. It's funny, people complain about how constraining Apple products are and they end up using them anyway :devil2:

-spence

itunes was just stolen from napster

striperman36
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
To me what is an issue is the walled garden Apple has made the product. Why can't you get,third party hardware to extend it? or for that mattr why cant i print on my windows network? It that area android will have IOS beat eventually, we'll be seeing a lot more android this year many forms.

The Dad Fisherman
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
To me what is an issue is the walled garden Apple has made the product.

Thats the same mentality that screwed them over in the PC market.

When Apple II hit the streets about the same time as the IBM PC...it was a far superior product....even when you had the Mac II it was still far superior.

But they decided not to share their technology where IBM did......and...well the rest is history. The Market was flooded with IBM Clones. By the time they decided to release it, it was to late.

I remember those 1st Apple clones....what an absolute POS they were

Sea Dangles
01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Please explain.

Spence, do you really think your phone is making you cool?How old are you?Who is impressing people with phones?I feel bad pointing it out but ....please don't respond.

bassballer
01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
A droid just doesnt complete the outfit like an Iphone does.

striperman36
01-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Spence is a sales guy, he needs the cool

BigBo
01-19-2012, 04:20 PM
:drevil:

Apple Macintosh Think Different 1984 Super Bowl Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3jjKuTAPHA)

spence
01-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Spence, do you really think your phone is making you cool?How old are you?Who is impressing people with phones?I feel bad pointing it out but ....please don't respond.

I don't have an iPhone, I have a Blackberry.

JohnnyD
01-19-2012, 06:02 PM

-spence

Weird, I thought you said (emphasis mine):

The effort that goes into industrial design is incredible. It's why that Apple product looks better sitting on the table and feels better in your hands...it's part art part machine.
At least with all "the effort that goes into industrial design," the iPhone 4 feels good in my hand before the faulty antennas drop my calls. Definitely some impressive industrial design there.

The same thing is happening to Apple right now with the Android platform that happened to them 20 years ago with Windows. The way Apple stifles a user's options will cause them to fall back, once again, into obscurity. Their stranglehold on how users are able to utilize products like the iPhone and iPad will result in people moving towards a more open platform that provides more flexibility.

Android already holds more smart phone market-share than the iPhone and that's with the somewhat recent release of the 4S. Unless Apple hurries up with a 4G compatible version, the disparity will only grow.

GregW
01-19-2012, 07:12 PM
will cause them to fall back, once again, into obscurity.

I like some Apple products and don't like others.
But , I hope you don't actually believe that.:biglaugh:

Raven
01-20-2012, 05:53 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/bossman.png

BigBo
01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
It all began with an iPhone...

March was when my son celebrated his 15th birthday,
and I got him an iPhone.
He just loved it. Who wouldn't?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/apple-iphone-3g.jpg

I celebrated my birthday in June,
and my wife made me very happy when she bought me an iPad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/ipad.jpg

My daughter's birthday was in August so I got her an iPod Touch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/iPod-touch.jpg

My wife celebrated her birthday in September so I got her an iRon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/iRon.jpg
It was around then that the fight started......

What my wife failed to recognize is that the iRon can be integrated

into the home network with the iWash, iCook and iClean.

This inevitably activates the iNag reminder service.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/iRon-result.jpg

I should be out of the hospital by Thursday!! :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

spence
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
To me what is an issue is the walled garden Apple has made the product. Why can't you get,third party hardware to extend it? or for that mattr why cant i print on my windows network? It that area android will have IOS beat eventually, we'll be seeing a lot more android this year many forms.

Well, being walled gives them more control over how people use the platform. That's one of the problems with Windows, you can do just about anything so people 'eff it all up.

As for printing, I assume you mean from the iPad or iPod? Printing from a Macbook to a PC based printer works just fine.

-spence

striperman36
01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes the friggin IPAD!!! I want my command line too.

Raven
01-20-2012, 05:33 PM
who ya gonna ping

striperman36
01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
mount -t cifs 192.168.1.102/fishporn fishporn -u user=me,password=bigfish

RIJIMMY
01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
here is the result
I went to the apple store in the snow on Saturday. Took close to an hour but I guess thats not apples fault.
Walked in an went up to the first associate, nice kid. Told him I need to return the interface and the problem with the ipad. He said he will take a look and said he will re-boot the ipad and if its a software issue, it should fix it. Takes 2 minutes, and now it works fine. I had to ask how I have their best selling product and in order to fix a major issue, I have to crash it to get it to work. He said thats just the way it is and he showed my how to do it. Oh well, seems lame to me but it works now.

spence
01-24-2012, 12:27 PM
You mean you didn't reboot the iPad before you drove into the store?

-spence

striperman36
01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Do it on Microsoft all the time. You never turn it off?
Apps on the iPad crash all the time, droid also. I reboot my devices quite a bit

RIJIMMY
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
You mean you didn't reboot the iPad before you drove into the store?

-spence

Hmm re-boot? Silly me.
I first checked the instructions, oops they're are none!
Then I went to apple support online, oops it didnt tell me how to do that.
Then I googled my issue, many had same issue with no resolution
Then I spent an hour on Apple support, they never suggested doing that and went dwon 5 different paths to resolve the issue. The last path led me to the Apple store.
It must be one of those ease of use things that I should have figured out on my own? I guess everyone knows you hold down the power button and the menu key(whatever its called) and it will crash the ipad?
Im just not high tech. :smash:

spence
01-24-2012, 01:23 PM
A lot of these mobile devices like a reboot now and then. They don't always do a good job of shutting everything off.

I thought all you had to do to reboot the iPad was hold to power switch?

-spence

RIJIMMY
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
A lot of these mobile devices like a reboot now and then. They don't always do a good job of shutting everything off.

I thought all you had to do to reboot the iPad was hold to power switch?

-spence

that turns it off.
He held the power switch and the button on the front for about 10 seconds. The screen goes blank and you get the apple logo.

The Dad Fisherman
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
See, even when you drink the Kool-aid they don't tell you the hidden secrets.