View Full Version : ACL Surgery

Circlehook
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Well I am 2 days post op for my left ACL/MCL reconstruction. Same surgery, same injury as Welker/Brady. Tore it up during a charity football game, trying to make a cutback run.

Looks like my Rockhoping is shot for this year, gonna probably just be freshwater fishing.

Anyone else here had this surgery? How are you now?

The pain is 10 times worse than I anticipated.

Jon

GattaFish
02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
My brother had it done cuz he still thinks he is 18 when he rides his dirt bike,,,, It was a couple years ago.

You will be back in action soon,,,, couple days after surgery was always the worst for me,,, besides the wanting to puke from all the crap they give you during surgery...

BigBo
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
You'll start feeling better in a few weeks. Give it a month or so and you'll be getting around quite well.
I'm about three months post op on a full replacement.

piemma
02-04-2012, 03:10 AM
had it done twice. Not a big deal. You will be normal in a month to 6 weeks. Just DO the rehab the way they tell you.
It is a walk in the park compared to open heart surgery, Now THERE's some pain for 6 weeks straight.

Chesapeake Bill
02-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Wes said that it wasn't until june of this year before his knee really started to feel right again. I can tell you that he wore his brace and did his exercises religiously. That's the key to success of the operation. Don't overdue it and start taxing the knee before it is healed but do the rehab and you'll be alright.

dredey
02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I had full reconstuctive knee surgery 18 years ago. This was well before all this new technology they have today. Back then it was about 6 weeks before I was able to have full motion of my knee. Still longer with rehab. It was about a year before I was confident enough to be active again. Now almost twenty years later my knee is great.

Tagger
02-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Girl in my gym blew her knee up bad ,, a soccer player .. She had a piece of cadaver put in there .. After a year she's great . don't limp .. does a boot camp training program now .. amazing .. just look at Brady and Welker .. hope all goes well ..

Padawan
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Had my acl,mcl,pcl,miniscus. All the good stuff. Let me tell you what nothing is a walk in the park. Surgery is easy, but rehab is tough. Like they say you either laugh or cry. Just be positive and worm hard and you will be fine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rappin Mikey
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Get well soon. I'm going under the knife on the 15th. Just meniscus for me though. You sound like you have a much tougher road ahead of you. I wish you the best.

agsurfr
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
had it done twice. Not a big deal. You will be normal in a month to 6 weeks. Just DO the rehab the way they tell you.
It is a walk in the park compared to open heart surgery, Now THERE's some pain for 6 weeks straight.

Absolutely right. You wanna be drinkin' the PT Koolaid! The rehab is hugely important to the success of the procedure.

striperman36
02-04-2012, 03:09 PM
do the rehab and then some. took me 18 months to get all the scar tissue from the injury worked out of the knee, the actual surgery was easy. I almost passed out several times as Bridgette the Domantrix stretched my leg and popped my tendons.

OLD GOAT
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Had two at the same time about 3years ago.
Make sure you finish rehab and STRECHING

JohnR
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Well I am 2 days post op for my left ACL/MCL reconstruction. Same surgery, same injury as Welker/Brady. Tore it up during a charity football game, trying to make a cutback run.

Looks like my Rockhoping is shot for this year, gonna probably just be freshwater fishing.

Anyone else here had this surgery? How are you now?

The pain is 10 times worse than I anticipated.

Jon

Not exactly - just removed (with most of the cartilage). Need to get the other knee tweaked shortly...

RickBomba
02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah,
MCL, PCL, ACL, Meniscus for me. The meniscus came out during the PCL. Thinking that they are going to do something to that knee next year...maybe replacement?

just saw Mom Bomba today and she is two weeks out of replacement. She is walking way better than me after the patellar tendon graft and MCL and meniscus fix.

I think that you should be fine.

The reason that I am a member since April of 2001 (I had to kill my original user that I built in November of 2000) was because I was stuck in my house for two months during PCL surgery.

I bet John R wishes that I never blew out the knee.

As Hulk Hogan sings "Positive thoughts and positive deeds, these are the things that will make you succeed!"

Circlehook
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I did three months of "pre-hab" before the surgery with an excellent PT, and start back up monday. Luckily doc said there was no meniscus damage, i know that adds alot to the rehab process. Hopefully ill be up and runnin for the fall run.

Circlehook
02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
do the rehab and then some. took me 18 months to get all the scar tissue from the injury worked out of the knee, the actual surgery was easy. I almost passed out several times as Bridgette the Domantrix stretched my leg and popped my tendons.
Bridgette at Houghtons? They are great there.

striperman36
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Bridgette at Houghtons? They are great there.

No marathon pt in norton. Pre surgery I had another pt that would stand on the table an try and touch my forehead with my toe. I only screamed once, then they gagged me

big jay
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I did three months of "pre-hab" before the surgery with an excellent PT, and start back up monday. Luckily doc said there was no meniscus damage, i know that adds alot to the rehab process. Hopefully ill be up and runnin for the fall run.
[size=1]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size

Good call on the pre-hab. I blew me acl playing lacrosse a few years ago. Rehabbed all summer, and then had surgery when fishing season was over. My recovery was much faster than if I'd had surgery immediately. It was still a full year before I felt totally "normal", but you'll be up and running in no time.

And take the meds - you don't get any medals for being a tough guy.