Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Circlehook
$$

ACL Surgery

Well I am 2 days post op for my left ACL/MCL reconstruction. Same surgery, same injury as Welker/Brady. Tore it up during a charity football game, trying to make a cutback run.

Looks like my Rockhoping is shot for this year, gonna probably just be freshwater fishing.

Anyone else here had this surgery? How are you now?

The pain is 10 times worse than I anticipated.

Jon

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Circlehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

My brother had it done cuz he still thinks he is 18 when he rides his dirt bike,,,, It was a couple years ago.

You will be back in action soon,,,, couple days after surgery was always the worst for me,,, besides the wanting to puke from all the crap they give you during surgery...
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
BigBo

You'll start feeling better in a few weeks. Give it a month or so and you'll be getting around quite well.
I'm about three months post op on a full replacement.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

had it done twice. Not a big deal. You will be normal in a month to 6 weeks. Just DO the rehab the way they tell you.
It is a walk in the park compared to open heart surgery, Now THERE's some pain for 6 weeks straight.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Chesapeake Bill

Wes said that it wasn't until june of this year before his knee really started to feel right again. I can tell you that he wore his brace and did his exercises religiously. That's the key to success of the operation. Don't overdue it and start taxing the knee before it is healed but do the rehab and you'll be alright.
Chesapeake Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
dredey

Thumbs up

I had full reconstuctive knee surgery 18 years ago. This was well before all this new technology they have today. Back then it was about 6 weeks before I was able to have full motion of my knee. Still longer with rehab. It was about a year before I was confident enough to be active again. Now almost twenty years later my knee is great.
dredey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Girl in my gym blew her knee up bad ,, a soccer player .. She had a piece of cadaver put in there .. After a year she's great . don't limp .. does a boot camp training program now .. amazing .. just look at Brady and Welker .. hope all goes well ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Padawan

Had my acl,mcl,pcl,miniscus. All the good stuff. Let me tell you what nothing is a walk in the park. Surgery is easy, but rehab is tough. Like they say you either laugh or cry. Just be positive and worm hard and you will be fine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Get well soon. I'm going under the knife on the 15th. Just meniscus for me though. You sound like you have a much tougher road ahead of you. I wish you the best.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
agsurfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
had it done twice. Not a big deal. You will be normal in a month to 6 weeks. Just DO the rehab the way they tell you.
It is a walk in the park compared to open heart surgery, Now THERE's some pain for 6 weeks straight.
Absolutely right. You wanna be drinkin' the PT Koolaid! The rehab is hugely important to the success of the procedure.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
DEMOTIVATORS®
agsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

do the rehab and then some. took me 18 months to get all the scar tissue from the injury worked out of the knee, the actual surgery was easy. I almost passed out several times as Bridgette the Domantrix stretched my leg and popped my tendons.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

piece of cake

Had two at the same time about 3years ago.
Make sure you finish rehab and STRECHING
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
Well I am 2 days post op for my left ACL/MCL reconstruction. Same surgery, same injury as Welker/Brady. Tore it up during a charity football game, trying to make a cutback run.

Looks like my Rockhoping is shot for this year, gonna probably just be freshwater fishing.

Anyone else here had this surgery? How are you now?

The pain is 10 times worse than I anticipated.

Jon
Not exactly - just removed (with most of the cartilage). Need to get the other knee tweaked shortly...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
RickBomba

Yeah,
MCL, PCL, ACL, Meniscus for me. The meniscus came out during the PCL. Thinking that they are going to do something to that knee next year...maybe replacement?

just saw Mom Bomba today and she is two weeks out of replacement. She is walking way better than me after the patellar tendon graft and MCL and meniscus fix.

I think that you should be fine.

The reason that I am a member since April of 2001 (I had to kill my original user that I built in November of 2000) was because I was stuck in my house for two months during PCL surgery.

I bet John R wishes that I never blew out the knee.

As Hulk Hogan sings "Positive thoughts and positive deeds, these are the things that will make you succeed!"

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Circlehook
$$

Thanks everyone. I did three months of "pre-hab" before the surgery with an excellent PT, and start back up monday. Luckily doc said there was no meniscus damage, i know that adds alot to the rehab process. Hopefully ill be up and runnin for the fall run.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Circlehook
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
do the rehab and then some. took me 18 months to get all the scar tissue from the injury worked out of the knee, the actual surgery was easy. I almost passed out several times as Bridgette the Domantrix stretched my leg and popped my tendons.
Bridgette at Houghtons? They are great there.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Bridgette at Houghtons? They are great there.
No marathon pt in norton. Pre surgery I had another pt that would stand on the table an try and touch my forehead with my toe. I only screamed once, then they gagged me
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
big jay

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I did three months of "pre-hab" before the surgery with an excellent PT, and start back up monday. Luckily doc said there was no meniscus damage, i know that adds alot to the rehab process. Hopefully ill be up and runnin for the fall run.
[size=1]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size

Good call on the pre-hab. I blew me acl playing lacrosse a few years ago. Rehabbed all summer, and then had surgery when fishing season was over. My recovery was much faster than if I'd had surgery immediately. It was still a full year before I felt totally "normal", but you'll be up and running in no time.

And take the meds - you don't get any medals for being a tough guy.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote