View Full Version : Estimating Fuel Costs for Boston Whaler

Kierran
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
The non-profit organization that I work for may be receiving a donation of a Boston Whaler (don't know exact size; most likely 17-ft or under). I am not sure the size of the engine either (sorry). I will hopefully know more next week. But in the mean time, I have been asked to come up with a draft budget of the costs associated with operating a boat (I know they're numerous and high).

One of the costs is obviously fuel. Can any Whaler owners around that size class give me an idea? I appreciate any info and will update this thread when I find out more specifics. This boat would be very useful to our organization, but the powers at be don't want to take on anything we can't handle, etc.

Thanks in advance.

RIROCKHOUND
03-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Need more info Kierren. I know all too well trying to work fuel into a shoestring research budget! get some details and then I'm sure you'll get some specifics.

Think about what you'll be doing as well where, what and how often. We burn a lot more doing a survey an hour cruise from the dock than we do if we are leaving the dock at 3.5kts and staying at that speed all day!

Factor in oil, filters, general supplies and of course maintenance.

good luck

Kierran
03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes - I should have known it was too premature to ask. I'll report back with more info as I get it. Thanks for the reply.

MakoMike
03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Just found these two gems on the Sportfishing Magazine website:

"Approximate fuel consumption at cruising speed can be estimated as follows:

Diesel - 5.3 gallons per hour per 100 hp
Gasoline - 7.8 gallons per hour per 100 hp"

"To calculate how much it will cost to keep a boat going, figure to pay from 2 percent to 5 percent of the original cost (new) per year in maintenance."

Mr. Sandman
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

"To calculate how much it will cost to keep a boat going, figure to pay from 2 percent to 5 percent of the original cost (new) per year in maintenance."

I was preparing my taxes and I was looking over the expensses last year...:shocked: OH MY WORD! I spent way more than I thought I did..My annual CC statement printout looked like it got hung up on DEFENDER, , it seemed to go on for pages. Then add Lic's permits, insurance, fuel, dockage boatyard, marinepartsexpress, etc...then we start talking fishing gear which goes on and on... I wonder how long I can keep this up. As much as I love it it is hard to justify the cost. You simply have to look the to look the way when the bill comes.

MakoMike
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I was preparing my taxes and I was looking over the expensses last year...:shocked: OH MY WORD! I spent way more than I thought I did..My annual CC statement printout looked like it got hung up on DEFENDER, , it seemed to go on for pages. Then add Lic's permits, insurance, fuel, dockage boatyard, marinepartsexpress, etc...then we start talking fishing gear which goes on and on... I wonder how long I can keep this up. As much as I love it it is hard to justify the cost. You simply have to look the to look the way when the bill comes.

I know the feeling!

Kierran
03-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks, Mike!