Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Kierran
Surfcaster

Estimating Fuel Costs for Boston Whaler

The non-profit organization that I work for may be receiving a donation of a Boston Whaler (don't know exact size; most likely 17-ft or under). I am not sure the size of the engine either (sorry). I will hopefully know more next week. But in the mean time, I have been asked to come up with a draft budget of the costs associated with operating a boat (I know they're numerous and high).

One of the costs is obviously fuel. Can any Whaler owners around that size class give me an idea? I appreciate any info and will update this thread when I find out more specifics. This boat would be very useful to our organization, but the powers at be don't want to take on anything we can't handle, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Kierran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Need more info Kierren. I know all too well trying to work fuel into a shoestring research budget! get some details and then I'm sure you'll get some specifics.

Think about what you'll be doing as well where, what and how often. We burn a lot more doing a survey an hour cruise from the dock than we do if we are leaving the dock at 3.5kts and staying at that speed all day!

Factor in oil, filters, general supplies and of course maintenance.

good luck

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Kierran
Surfcaster

Yes - I should have known it was too premature to ask. I'll report back with more info as I get it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
MakoMike

Just found these two gems on the Sportfishing Magazine website:

"Approximate fuel consumption at cruising speed can be estimated as follows:

Diesel - 5.3 gallons per hour per 100 hp
Gasoline - 7.8 gallons per hour per 100 hp"

"To calculate how much it will cost to keep a boat going, figure to pay from 2 percent to 5 percent of the original cost (new) per year in maintenance."

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post

"To calculate how much it will cost to keep a boat going, figure to pay from 2 percent to 5 percent of the original cost (new) per year in maintenance."

I was preparing my taxes and I was looking over the expensses last year... OH MY WORD! I spent way more than I thought I did..My annual CC statement printout looked like it got hung up on DEFENDER, , it seemed to go on for pages. Then add Lic's permits, insurance, fuel, dockage boatyard, marinepartsexpress, etc...then we start talking fishing gear which goes on and on... I wonder how long I can keep this up. As much as I love it it is hard to justify the cost. You simply have to look the to look the way when the bill comes.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 03-20-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I was preparing my taxes and I was looking over the expensses last year... OH MY WORD! I spent way more than I thought I did..My annual CC statement printout looked like it got hung up on DEFENDER, , it seemed to go on for pages. Then add Lic's permits, insurance, fuel, dockage boatyard, marinepartsexpress, etc...then we start talking fishing gear which goes on and on... I wonder how long I can keep this up. As much as I love it it is hard to justify the cost. You simply have to look the to look the way when the bill comes.
I know the feeling!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Kierran
Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post

Thanks, Mike!