View Full Version : Thru Hull fitting

ProfessorM
07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I am racing to get my other boat ready, late as usual, and I noticed the thru hull rule pump for the raw water wash down is busted off at the fitting that attaches to the hose. Good thing the gas tank comes out and it was so that I noticed or it would have probably sank. I gave up on the raw water wash down years ago as I prefer using just a bucket and will just plug the hole left by the pump. The thing is I had a bitch of a time getting the thing out. It seemed it was just put in with a flexible sealant but I had to hack saw the threaded part out as I busted the pump off and the threaded part was left in the transom. Thing was really in there. I got it out and will make a stainless thru hull at work tomorrow with a pipe thread thru it and use it for an additional drain. I will put a 3 hole bolt pattern in it and screw it to the transom. What I am interested in is what do I bed it in with to seal it from water intrusion. Paul

Raider Ronnie
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
3M 5200

ProfessorM
07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
will that make it impossible to remove if I ever wanted to, although i probably will never do that? and is there a solvent I should use to clean off the hole with before I use the stuff? Thanks

numbskull
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd use the 5200 and forget it, but they make another sealant (5400 maybe) that cures less hard and can be removed. West marine (the pirates) has it.

Raider Ronnie
07-09-2012, 08:31 PM
will that make it impossible to remove if I ever wanted to, although i probably will never do that? and is there a solvent I should use to clean off the hole with before I use the stuff? Thanks

Paul.
Prep the hole by sanding, wipe clean then wash with acetone. Do the same with the thru hull fitting.
Home Depot carries 5200 in the paint dept, 1/2 the price you will pay @ West Marine. You can get a small can of acetone there also.

fishaholic18
07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
5200 FOR SURE..and you can remove it...you just have to work at it a little harder....Ive done it.

MakoMike
07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
You could use 4200, which is slightly less permanent, but I would go with the 5200 preceded by an acetone wash.

macojoe
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
5200 for permanent, 4200 for removal another time.

ProfessorM
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
thanks guys. All cleaned and sanded and will get some 5200 tomorrow.

Raider Ronnie
07-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Paul
Your 1st post you say the old thru hull busted off, You saying it was plastic ?
If so do your self a favor and pick up a bronze thru hull , use the 5200 and you will never have to worry about it again.
Plastic should NEVER be used below the water line !

nightfighter
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Ronnie, he is making a SS thru hull at work...... not an option for the rest of us....

Paul, if you have any other delran/plastic thru hulls, replace them too You should be able to snap them off easily by jamming a large screwdriver from the outside and working it from side to side pretty aggressively. Scary how easily they will break off..... I use a y-valve on my pump to switch from baitwell to washdown. Works well.

ProfessorM
07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Replacing 2 while I am at it. Yes making them out of stainless, actually done with them. They are just going to be plugs. My drain is bronze and all I need, no need for the other 2.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device