Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thru Hull fitting

I am racing to get my other boat ready, late as usual, and I noticed the thru hull rule pump for the raw water wash down is busted off at the fitting that attaches to the hose. Good thing the gas tank comes out and it was so that I noticed or it would have probably sank. I gave up on the raw water wash down years ago as I prefer using just a bucket and will just plug the hole left by the pump. The thing is I had a bitch of a time getting the thing out. It seemed it was just put in with a flexible sealant but I had to hack saw the threaded part out as I busted the pump off and the threaded part was left in the transom. Thing was really in there. I got it out and will make a stainless thru hull at work tomorrow with a pipe thread thru it and use it for an additional drain. I will put a 3 hole bolt pattern in it and screw it to the transom. What I am interested in is what do I bed it in with to seal it from water intrusion. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
3M 5200

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

will that make it impossible to remove if I ever wanted to, although i probably will never do that? and is there a solvent I should use to clean off the hole with before I use the stuff? Thanks

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I'd use the 5200 and forget it, but they make another sealant (5400 maybe) that cures less hard and can be removed. West marine (the pirates) has it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
will that make it impossible to remove if I ever wanted to, although i probably will never do that? and is there a solvent I should use to clean off the hole with before I use the stuff? Thanks

Paul.
Prep the hole by sanding, wipe clean then wash with acetone. Do the same with the thru hull fitting.
Home Depot carries 5200 in the paint dept, 1/2 the price you will pay @ West Marine. You can get a small can of acetone there also.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
fishaholic18
Finally

5200 FOR SURE..and you can remove it...you just have to work at it a little harder....Ive done it.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
MakoMike

You could use 4200, which is slightly less permanent, but I would go with the 5200 preceded by an acetone wash.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
5200 for permanent, 4200 for removal another time.

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

thanks guys. All cleaned and sanded and will get some 5200 tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Paul
Your 1st post you say the old thru hull busted off, You saying it was plastic ?
If so do your self a favor and pick up a bronze thru hull , use the 5200 and you will never have to worry about it again.
Plastic should NEVER be used below the water line !

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ronnie, he is making a SS thru hull at work...... not an option for the rest of us....

Paul, if you have any other delran/plastic thru hulls, replace them too You should be able to snap them off easily by jamming a large screwdriver from the outside and working it from side to side pretty aggressively. Scary how easily they will break off..... I use a y-valve on my pump to switch from baitwell to washdown. Works well.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Replacing 2 while I am at it. Yes making them out of stainless, actually done with them. They are just going to be plugs. My drain is bronze and all I need, no need for the other 2.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device