View Full Version : Advice on rod/reel

JoeBass
02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my saltwater set up. Currently have a lesser grade Orvis 8 wt rod and reel. I'm going to hand that down to my son.

I'd appreciate advice on what rod and or reel you would look at. I fish 75% in tidal rivers with the average catch around 25 inches. 25% is in the surf and off the rocks, fish up to mid 30", hopefully bigger. I usually throw pretty heavy clauser style flies.

Would you move up to a 9 weight? I'm hoping to get a deal and get a rod and reel for under $1,000....is that reasonable to expect? What would you recommend? I really appreciate the advice.

JackK
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Take a look at the TFO BVK 8wt. I like mine. Has enough oomph to cast in pretty windy conditions with a shooting head. I'm going to get the TH conversion kit this year for use in the surf- I like the idea of bombing casts out there without double hauling. Great warranty too. The 9's and 10's are MUCH bigger... I like the 8.

For a reel? I would keep checking eBay for bargains, you have time. I prefer Tibor, but that's $$$... My Nautilus CCF hasn't failed me yet, even after being dunked in sub freezing weather steelheading. Ross CLA's are bombproof and have a great drag. And I've heard good things about the Galvan Torques, but haven't used one.

Linesider82
02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
My next upgrade fly rod will be one of these
Surf Rod Series | Beulah Fly Rods (http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/surf-rod-series/)

I got to cast one last year and it casts 2x as far as my 8wt Sage on single haul. Didn't even want to pick my rod up afterwards...

rigd_EEL
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey Matt check ebay, I just got the 7/8wt Beulah Surf for a steal. Hopefully I will have it for the weekend to try on some pike. BTW who's rod did you try last year...anybody I know :)

Doug

Linesider82
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Hey Matt check ebay, I just got the 7/8wt Beulah Surf for a steal. Hopefully I will have it for the weekend to try on some pike. BTW who's rod did you try last year...anybody I know :)

Doug

HAHA, I actually didn't try yours... got to test cast one at a show after I saw your rocket launcher. What line did you have?

Saltheart
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Another Orvis with a 25 year warrantee seems pretty inviting to me. I would go 9 or 10 weight for stripers but 8's are very popular.

A hydros reel with a shooting tip line is less than $400. Even their Bar Stock Reels would do for Stripers I think.

I think your $1000 budget should cover a "nice" set up. Not the most expensive but certainly good performing.

JoeBass
02-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. If anyone has other thoughts please post them. I'll research the stuff you guys mentioned. Thank you!

bonefishdick
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I would look at the Orvis Access combo in the 8 wt for $585, Rod, reel and line and with your budget you could also get a spare spool and and Int. line or sinking and still have some change left. The 8 wt would be good for what you described for the fish you get.

I have the Access in a 9 wt with the Mirage reel and both have been great for what it's worth.