Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
JoeBass

Advice on rod/reel

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my saltwater set up. Currently have a lesser grade Orvis 8 wt rod and reel. I'm going to hand that down to my son.

I'd appreciate advice on what rod and or reel you would look at. I fish 75% in tidal rivers with the average catch around 25 inches. 25% is in the surf and off the rocks, fish up to mid 30", hopefully bigger. I usually throw pretty heavy clauser style flies.

Would you move up to a 9 weight? I'm hoping to get a deal and get a rod and reel for under $1,000....is that reasonable to expect? What would you recommend? I really appreciate the advice.
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
JackK
Not Jack

Take a look at the TFO BVK 8wt. I like mine. Has enough oomph to cast in pretty windy conditions with a shooting head. I'm going to get the TH conversion kit this year for use in the surf- I like the idea of bombing casts out there without double hauling. Great warranty too. The 9's and 10's are MUCH bigger... I like the 8.

For a reel? I would keep checking eBay for bargains, you have time. I prefer Tibor, but that's $$$... My Nautilus CCF hasn't failed me yet, even after being dunked in sub freezing weather steelheading. Ross CLA's are bombproof and have a great drag. And I've heard good things about the Galvan Torques, but haven't used one.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Linesider82

My next upgrade fly rod will be one of these
Surf Rod Series | Beulah Fly Rods

I got to cast one last year and it casts 2x as far as my 8wt Sage on single haul. Didn't even want to pick my rod up afterwards...
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
rigd_EEL

Hey Matt check ebay, I just got the 7/8wt Beulah Surf for a steal. Hopefully I will have it for the weekend to try on some pike. BTW who's rod did you try last year...anybody I know

Doug
rigd_EEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigd_EEL View Post
Hey Matt check ebay, I just got the 7/8wt Beulah Surf for a steal. Hopefully I will have it for the weekend to try on some pike. BTW who's rod did you try last year...anybody I know

Doug
HAHA, I actually didn't try yours... got to test cast one at a show after I saw your rocket launcher. What line did you have?
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Saltheart

Another Orvis with a 25 year warrantee seems pretty inviting to me. I would go 9 or 10 weight for stripers but 8's are very popular.

A hydros reel with a shooting tip line is less than $400. Even their Bar Stock Reels would do for Stripers I think.

I think your $1000 budget should cover a "nice" set up. Not the most expensive but certainly good performing.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
JoeBass

Thank you for the suggestions. If anyone has other thoughts please post them. I'll research the stuff you guys mentioned. Thank you!
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
bonefishdick

I would look at the Orvis Access combo in the 8 wt for $585, Rod, reel and line and with your budget you could also get a spare spool and and Int. line or sinking and still have some change left. The 8 wt would be good for what you described for the fish you get.

I have the Access in a 9 wt with the Mirage reel and both have been great for what it's worth.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times - " I'M ON - I'M OFF "
bonefishdick is offline   Reply With Quote