View Full Version : Rattle Can mystery....

N.ShoreFisher
04-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Ok, so up until now, I've been using spray paint cans and not having too many issues. But it seems lately, that none of the cans are working. I know that almost all of them are at least half if not 3/4 full. I store them on their sides in a rack that fits about 20 or so cans. To me, it just seems like i get one or 2 sprays with them, and when I come back the next day, or a few days later, they no longer work. I have tried unclogging nozzles, taking off the nozzles and soaking them in paint thinner to remove any paint, and I can feel the weight of the cans, so I know there's lots in there. Just confusing to me. Is there some step or tip to using spray paint that I'm just not that smart enough to know about? What am I missing here?

Nebe
04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
every time you use them, turn them upside down and spray until it stops shooting paint. That will keep the nozzle from getting clogged

numbskull
04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
You can also buy extra nozzles in all sorts of spray patterns from art sites.

nightfighter
04-20-2014, 06:55 PM
every time you use them, turn them upside down and spray until it stops shooting paint. That will keep the nozzle from getting clogged

This.

Eric Roach
04-20-2014, 06:57 PM
I have this problem with Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy, and the only way I can resolve it is to remove the nozzle and blast pressurized air from the compressor through it immediately after use. That paint is very thick.

Raven
04-20-2014, 07:17 PM
usually you can peel the coating off of
a regular twisto to have just the internal wire
left to use as a cleaner outter...

thefishingfreak
04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
If you know the tip isn't completely junk you can get them to work again.

Put a good tip on it and turn it upside down now lean down close to the floor and tap the can over and over and over ON The TIP by slamming it into the floor. making sure the tip is being pressed in fully each time. Like a machine gun tap tap tap tap tap tap little 1" lifts and slams into the floor
You have to use enough force to 1-depress the tip each time and 2-unclogg and dislodge the blockage inside the can. It will start to spray again then keep it clean as mentioned above

Quarter century in the automotive refinish industry I've saved many a spray bomb
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device