Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Rattle Can mystery....

Ok, so up until now, I've been using spray paint cans and not having too many issues. But it seems lately, that none of the cans are working. I know that almost all of them are at least half if not 3/4 full. I store them on their sides in a rack that fits about 20 or so cans. To me, it just seems like i get one or 2 sprays with them, and when I come back the next day, or a few days later, they no longer work. I have tried unclogging nozzles, taking off the nozzles and soaking them in paint thinner to remove any paint, and I can feel the weight of the cans, so I know there's lots in there. Just confusing to me. Is there some step or tip to using spray paint that I'm just not that smart enough to know about? What am I missing here?

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Nebe

every time you use them, turn them upside down and spray until it stops shooting paint. That will keep the nozzle from getting clogged
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

You can also buy extra nozzles in all sorts of spray patterns from art sites.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
every time you use them, turn them upside down and spray until it stops shooting paint. That will keep the nozzle from getting clogged
This.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Eric Roach
Big E

I have this problem with Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy, and the only way I can resolve it is to remove the nozzle and blast pressurized air from the compressor through it immediately after use. That paint is very thick.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Raven

usually you can peel the coating off of
a regular twisto to have just the internal wire
left to use as a cleaner outter...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

If you know the tip isn't completely junk you can get them to work again.

Put a good tip on it and turn it upside down now lean down close to the floor and tap the can over and over and over ON The TIP by slamming it into the floor. making sure the tip is being pressed in fully each time. Like a machine gun tap tap tap tap tap tap little 1" lifts and slams into the floor
You have to use enough force to 1-depress the tip each time and 2-unclogg and dislodge the blockage inside the can. It will start to spray again then keep it clean as mentioned above

Quarter century in the automotive refinish industry I've saved many a spray bomb
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote