View Full Version : Plug spinner help

pbadad
05-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Now that I'm trying system 3 clear coat, consensus says to spin not flip. I did daisy chain years back but for awhile I 've e tex and flip with plug wired. Always came out nicely but hoping for a different finish. I haven't experimented w/ system 3 yet but I have a few to try. Eventually a spinner dryer will happen. I question my fellow wood bait makers how do you coat and spin. Do you coat first then carefully put onto spinner via springs and hooks or do you epoxy while the spinner is turning or stopped. I only think to mount plugs first prior to coating only to stop spinner and coat and turn plug to coat other side???? I'm thinking coat then put on spinner but other than metal lips to grasp, others would be a nightmare. Tips, suggestions?

Swimmer
05-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Coat first then put on the spinner. You can always stop it, hit the plug with brush, sponge, of heat gun after mounting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slipknot
05-10-2016, 09:21 PM
to hold it and then coat it, then mount it, you can use vise grip to hold it if it does not have a metal lip keep it simple

pbadad
05-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Vise grips what I 've been using for non metal lips. Figure hooking eye to hook on 1 end then spring to other then releasing vise grip. Any thoughts on vertical flipping spinner? Seems more practical when installing on spinner and flipping by hand worked well. I have a 4 rpm gear drive motor to use also.

Rockfish9
05-11-2016, 08:33 AM
I coat mine in the spinner...my spinner holds 18 medium sized plugs..... on 3 separate "rotisseries"... I start at the top go left to right..nose to tail mixing enough to coat 6 plugs or one "rotisserie"..... mine is heated and lighted with a pair of 60 watt bulbs...one at the top one on the bottom.. this eliminates shadows as each plug comes around on it's cycle...it's pretty easy to brush each plug as it goes by on it's revolution

pbadad
05-11-2016, 06:54 PM
So Joe your saying your plug is spinning not stationary and rotating .

ProfessorM
05-11-2016, 07:10 PM
I coat mine in the spinner...my spinner holds 18 medium sized plugs..... on 3 separate "rotisseries"... I start at the top go left to right..nose to tail mixing enough to coat 6 plugs or one "rotisserie"..... mine is heated and lighted with a pair of 60 watt bulbs...one at the top one on the bottom.. this eliminates shadows as each plug comes around on it's cycle...it's pretty easy to brush each plug as it goes by on it's revolution

pretty much how i do it. Apply while spinning. not end over end, spinning 360

pbadad
05-12-2016, 05:59 AM
I may be confused Paul. Mounted in a spinner the plug is stationary and the cradle rotates, no? Then the side that isn't exposed is not accessible unless you turn it. When spinning plugs as like a hot dog spinner applying epoxy is no problem. Attaching plugs by hooks and springs they don't independently spin. I only see applying the epoxy first then putting on spinner with a cradle. Sorry to be such a PITA. I sure miss Plugfest.!!!

Slipknot
05-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Billy, have you seen Joe's spinner?

it spins them like a ferris wheel, 3 separate rotisseries connected by gears or something

Slipknot
05-12-2016, 08:34 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=47747&highlight=spinner

Joe's

this is the ferris wheel kind

Slipknot
05-12-2016, 09:03 AM
here is an inline one by redneck24

Rockfish9
05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
thanks for posting that Bruce....I didn't have any picture on my computer....I didn't realize it was that long ago I built it... it's done well...works as good as day 1

pbadad
05-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks Bruce. I see they're small wheels so the reverse side is accessible. I'm think of a larger wheel which would make coating the opposite side rough. Thanks for all your help everyone. Once I finish I'll post some pictures. Too all have a safe and successful season.

ProfessorM
05-12-2016, 01:37 PM
In line is what i meant

Diggin Jiggin
05-13-2016, 10:17 AM
I can't epoxy on my spinner as its in a storage container and only have access to 1 side.

I have a little crate with the front cut away that I use to hold the plugs while i epoxy them, uses mini bunji cords so I can rotate it to get all sides. I put a little hook made of scrap wire up front. When done with the epoxy I can hold that while I unhook it, and use that to carry over to the spinner.

ProfessorM
05-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Yeah that is the down side of wiring before epoxy. I stack 4 or five on each wire and easy to apply as it spins. If i was to handle them after epoxy and have to mount them on spinner i would be f ing up all the time.