Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
pbadad

Plug spinner help

Now that I'm trying system 3 clear coat, consensus says to spin not flip. I did daisy chain years back but for awhile I 've e tex and flip with plug wired. Always came out nicely but hoping for a different finish. I haven't experimented w/ system 3 yet but I have a few to try. Eventually a spinner dryer will happen. I question my fellow wood bait makers how do you coat and spin. Do you coat first then carefully put onto spinner via springs and hooks or do you epoxy while the spinner is turning or stopped. I only think to mount plugs first prior to coating only to stop spinner and coat and turn plug to coat other side???? I'm thinking coat then put on spinner but other than metal lips to grasp, others would be a nightmare. Tips, suggestions?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Coat first then put on the spinner. You can always stop it, hit the plug with brush, sponge, of heat gun after mounting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

to hold it and then coat it, then mount it, you can use vise grip to hold it if it does not have a metal lip keep it simple

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
pbadad

Vise grips what I 've been using for non metal lips. Figure hooking eye to hook on 1 end then spring to other then releasing vise grip. Any thoughts on vertical flipping spinner? Seems more practical when installing on spinner and flipping by hand worked well. I have a 4 rpm gear drive motor to use also.

Billy D.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I coat mine in the spinner...my spinner holds 18 medium sized plugs..... on 3 separate "rotisseries"... I start at the top go left to right..nose to tail mixing enough to coat 6 plugs or one "rotisserie"..... mine is heated and lighted with a pair of 60 watt bulbs...one at the top one on the bottom.. this eliminates shadows as each plug comes around on it's cycle...it's pretty easy to brush each plug as it goes by on it's revolution

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
pbadad

So Joe your saying your plug is spinning not stationary and rotating .

Billy D.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I coat mine in the spinner...my spinner holds 18 medium sized plugs..... on 3 separate "rotisseries"... I start at the top go left to right..nose to tail mixing enough to coat 6 plugs or one "rotisserie"..... mine is heated and lighted with a pair of 60 watt bulbs...one at the top one on the bottom.. this eliminates shadows as each plug comes around on it's cycle...it's pretty easy to brush each plug as it goes by on it's revolution
pretty much how i do it. Apply while spinning. not end over end, spinning 360

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
pbadad

I may be confused Paul. Mounted in a spinner the plug is stationary and the cradle rotates, no? Then the side that isn't exposed is not accessible unless you turn it. When spinning plugs as like a hot dog spinner applying epoxy is no problem. Attaching plugs by hooks and springs they don't independently spin. I only see applying the epoxy first then putting on spinner with a cradle. Sorry to be such a PITA. I sure miss Plugfest.!!!

Billy D.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Billy, have you seen Joe's spinner?

it spins them like a ferris wheel, 3 separate rotisseries connected by gears or something

Last edited by Slipknot; 05-12-2016 at 08:44 AM..

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...hlight=spinner

Joe's

this is the ferris wheel kind

Last edited by Slipknot; 05-12-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

here is an inline one by redneck24
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redneckspinner2rs.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	62845  

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
Rockfish9

thanks for posting that Bruce....I didn't have any picture on my computer....I didn't realize it was that long ago I built it... it's done well...works as good as day 1

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
pbadad

Thanks Bruce. I see they're small wheels so the reverse side is accessible. I'm think of a larger wheel which would make coating the opposite side rough. Thanks for all your help everyone. Once I finish I'll post some pictures. Too all have a safe and successful season.

Billy D.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

In line is what i meant
Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Diggin Jiggin

I can't epoxy on my spinner as its in a storage container and only have access to 1 side.

I have a little crate with the front cut away that I use to hold the plugs while i epoxy them, uses mini bunji cords so I can rotate it to get all sides. I put a little hook made of scrap wire up front. When done with the epoxy I can hold that while I unhook it, and use that to carry over to the spinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	62852  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yeah that is the down side of wiring before epoxy. I stack 4 or five on each wire and easy to apply as it spins. If i was to handle them after epoxy and have to mount them on spinner i would be f ing up all the time.