View Full Version : Fishing reports

Pages : [1] 2

piemma
06-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Guys have been complaining that "this site is dead". No fishing talk so I'm starting a thread. No specifics but here's #1:

I had a great morning on Narr Bay with several fish in high teens to low 20s. All I can say is find the pogy schools and you will find bass and big blues if you stay on the schools and fish the edges with big plugs and white Storm Shads.

You have to keep moving with the pogies because the fish are doing the same thing. Not all the schools have fish on them but you will know when you find the right school.

Slipknot
06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
I caught some bass recently where the fish had bait(herring and macs) pinned between a rip and the shore and were picking them off.
White magic swimmer was like cheating. I brought a friend and his friend and they had a blast.

began at 2 AM and had to move since nothing doing there mostly because of wind and bait location, but once we moved and it became
daylight, the bite was on.

magic swimmers should be outlawed

Got Stripers
06-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Fished briefly with a friend in Plymouth, but it was more of a boating 101 course so I could bring him up to speed of some does and don't as a new boat owner. We picked up some rats but did mark some nice fish, some right around 28". Ran outside to show what to avoid, how to navigate the channels and ran across an acre size pod of nervous fish on top. Wasn't rigged for snag and drop, either bunker or mackerel.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
06-29-2017, 04:21 PM
Other day
Ten to one drifting eels out my front door,,,, skunk
Then steamed north for an hr and had to wait 3 hrs for the bite, then had to leave early the wife was on the warpath....

How's that for a report Pauly.. :-)

When this wind stops I'm back at it with a vengeance ! ... :-)

hardcore from shore
06-29-2017, 08:02 PM
May a B+. June was a D, but have been picking up some 40 inch bass again. LOST via pulled hook after 15 minutes a very nice bass on white Stick Shad. 3 cranks after she was off a 34 incher hit the lure NOTHING like the dropped bass. Then got a 42 incher, again, Nothing like the dropped bass. Saw another guy drop a bass Sunday morning and last week I dropped a large when fish rolled and jig fell out (my bad) late in fight. Today 4 hours for a short. Location, location location.

JLH
06-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Very slow fishing in my areas through RI and CT. Been averaging a fish every three trips or so and often that's the only hit of the night. Putting in 3-4 hours per trip and covering some ground just not many fish showing up so far this season. Best fish was probabaly around 35 pounds. Few over 30 and the rest mostly 20 pound class fish. Not really seeing any small fish since early spring in the rivers.

piemma
06-30-2017, 02:23 AM
Other day
Ten to one drifting eels out my front door,,,, skunk
Then steamed north for an hr and had to wait 3 hrs for the bite, then had to leave early the wife was on the warpath....

How's that for a report Pauly.. :-)

When this wind stops I'm back at it with a vengeance ! ... :-)

Hysterical Ray!!!!:scream::scream::scream:

wdmso
06-30-2017, 03:51 AM
Sadly i have nothing to report . was out Monday at the Race with everyone else .. long ride for a few keeper size bass .. and with the 4th comming up Sunday Monday look good if you can beat the crowds

Rockfish9
06-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Just got in ..fished the drop last night..the whole incoming and the turn this morning..alot of work for a few 20lb class fish and schoolies. ..been that way all week..no pogies here...Mackerel are hard to come by...plenty of blue backs and sand eels...eels have begun to run strong. .average haul is 18 keepers per set on a 3 hour set...wind/storms have kept me in the river...water is in the low 60's on average...once the weather stabilizes I'll fish outside...time to go to bed.

albythereforyou
06-30-2017, 08:22 AM
The surf fishing in the western sound in CT is like the dead sea. I had a decent may once all the local river fish dumped out into the surrounding waters, but june has been a lot of work for hardly any fish locally. I've been exploring the cape and finding fish just about every place I go, but its a far drive there and back...

My best fish of the season was a low 30lb bass that threw my jointed plug back in my face around the full moon in may. Got a handful of small weakfish on mag darters, and then spent the next month trying for one of the fly with no luck.

The amount of bunker by me is again just ridiculous. inshore, offshore, mid sound.... I can drive to 5 different spots right now 15 minutes away and get a cast net so heavy I won't be able to pull it up. there are only a very small amount of surf spots producing 1-2 bass a night on bunker chunks. I'd rather carve my eyes out with a spoon then fish bunker chunks from shore...

I'll be the cape all summer on weekends and wed/ thurs selling art at some of their flea markets, so hopefully I'll continue to get lucky and find some more bass out there.

Albies ? Are they in yet? :conf:

bloocrab
06-30-2017, 08:33 AM
.........I'd rather carve my eyes out with a spoon then fish bunker chunks from shore.......

:confused:.......Great time to find Zen within yourself while chunking.
Save the spoon for some ice-cream.

DZ
06-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Long gone are the days of "find the bait...find the fish" plenty of bait around the past few years. That said it's been very good if you're in the right location. Loads of juvenile sandlance. Droppers will improve your score IMMENSELY. Bass are shaped like footballs.

Slipknot
06-30-2017, 01:31 PM
I noticed more bass shaped like footballs also DZ

PaulS
06-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Was gonna fish the canal last night into today but changed my mind w/the wind forecast. Went out in eastern CT and saw lots of bunker right in front of me. No fish on them. Very slow so far this year.

puppet
06-30-2017, 01:58 PM
I noticed more bass shaped like footballs also DZ

Ditto.

There is nothing more pleasing that hauling in a healthy bass with a full
gizzard. Especially if you can find them in cold water. They fight twice
as hard and put on a show.

DZ
06-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Football shaped bass remind me of the glory days on Block. Same scenario just smaller bass now. Just how many sand eels could they possibly be stuffed with? Apparently when they're on the feed there is always room for one more.

Guppy
06-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Albies ? Are they in yet? :conf:

Geees, slow down will ya!
That would mark the end coming up,,, we just started didn't we? :-)

Can't wait either.... Soooo much fun,,, :-)

albythereforyou
06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Geees, slow down will ya!
That would mark the end coming up,,, we just started didn't we? :-)

Can't wait either.... Soooo much fun,,, :-)

one kooky year about 20 years ago around the norwalk islands we had some drunken bonita come in around july 4th. they stuck around for about two weeks... totally crazy, they came in with some giant ocean going blue/pink/purple hued bluefish. I think they got lost on their way north and decided the east river was a good travel lane that year...

word spread quick though, and soon it was jeff northrop vs the world. these are my fish! :laughs:

Rockfish9
06-30-2017, 04:36 PM
OK...now that I've had some sleep. ..the rest of the story. ..
This morning ..a large pod of jumbos showed up right at day lbreak...they were not interested in anything. ...eels...plugs...I even ripped clousers and deceivers past them.they just rolled on the surface leaving wash tub sized swirls..tonight I'll intercept them in the dark....10 4 on the pork chop fish....alot of fatties around.. ..larger fish had displaced some of the little guys in the traditional "big fish" spots...full moon will be hot....these are our summer fish...Herring and shad...spent from spawning have begun to drop back to.the ocean. will provide easy forage for large fish.

numbskull
06-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Spent weds trying to get a decent fish along the Elizabeths and saw nothing other than micro bass in WH and Quicks. Did hit one big one, however. Unfortunately it was a rock and now I'm looking at a new lower unit. :1poke:

Clammer
06-30-2017, 06:23 PM
join the club on lower units .........I,ve done 3 that I can remember ><<><

denis
07-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Lucky it"s only#3.

Clammer
07-01-2017, 12:42 PM
what about the look out [mate] ><><

JohnR
07-01-2017, 12:48 PM

Well that doesn't work either.

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"OK we hit"

Guppy
07-01-2017, 03:36 PM
That's a tough one George, see if Mike will fix it for ya, sounds like he has a lot of experience in these matters....

Clammer
07-01-2017, 04:29 PM
INSURANCE ><><><:nailem: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS ...thought about it .confirmed [4] complete units .no clue on how many props ..........

Got Stripers
07-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Operator error, don't blame the mate, you want to fish in tight get a trolling motor; they hit and bend but don't break😎. Or go buy one of those old (like you) vintage bass boats with a nice wooden keel.

Clammer
07-01-2017, 05:51 PM
ya right Bob ,operator error ,,,,,,,,,,But none where from up tight & personal .those are just bent skegs & props :sleeps:.................................. that made me remember when f-18 [fishaholic] were winter fishing holdovers with the tin rig .& the bass were stacked under the ice . we got stuck on the ice until we stayed in reverse & got it to brake away from the wall . :lasso:

then there was the new years night trip that JR & I took ....... &&&&&&&& the boat came off the trailer in the middle of the road .................. :huh:

or the time I was pulling the boat out of the ramp @ Ocean Grove when a guy stopped his rig in the middle to buckle down ,had to swerve to miss him ..........hit the curb & the boat flipped off the trailer & cut his door off at the hinges ........:fury:

no wonder I,m down to one guy to fish with & he even said his rods were away til ^&&&*( and went schoolie fishing :claps::wavey:

numbskull
07-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I bump over rocks all the time. Just tears up the skeg a bit. With this one, unfortunately I was distracted trying to speak Italian to the guy with me (who did not speak English) and conked one I knew about while powering onto a plane. Moderate skeg and prop damage, but also bent the shaft (b/o SS prop). Apparently Yamaha does not recommend rebuilding the lower unit on their offshore 4 strokes so it will be an insurance job and lower unit replacement. An aluminum prop would have prevented this, but when not fishing in the rocks I'm running the boat at speed in the night and chopping up lobster pots doesn't sit well with aluminum. So it goes. At least the fishing has been slow so I don't feel like I'm missing much yet.

MAKAI
07-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Slow ain't the word from shore anyway. May start drinking again....nah, then I'll probably end up getting married again !

ProfessorM
07-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I bump over rocks all the time. Just tears up the skeg a bit. With this one, unfortunately I was distracted trying to speak Italian to the guy with me (who did not speak English) and conked one I knew about while powering onto a plane. Moderate skeg and prop damage, but also bent the shaft (b/o SS prop). Apparently Yamaha does not recommend rebuilding the lower unit on their offshore 4 strokes so it will be an insurance job and lower unit replacement. An aluminum prop would have prevented this, but when not fishing in the rocks I'm running the boat at speed in the night and chopping up lobster pots doesn't sit well with aluminum. So it goes. At least the fishing has been slow so I don't feel like I'm missing much yet.

😭

Slipknot
07-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Spent weds trying to get a decent fish along the Elizabeths and saw nothing other than micro bass in WH and Quicks. Did hit one big one, however. Unfortunately it was a rock and now I'm looking at a new lower unit. :1poke:

OUCH!
that sucks George

Slipknot
07-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Slow ain't the word from shore anyway. May start drinking again....nah, then I'll probably end up getting married again !

:err:
no to both of those Bob

call me, I'll go fish the beach with ya
it's time

niko
07-02-2017, 03:04 PM
fishing been pretty good locally and on the cape trips. theres been a nice mix of sizes and a ton of fish in the 22-25 pound range. in my areas it was a bit of a late start for bass with the bite a week-10 days behind schedule. water temps are still nice and cool so i'm hoping the bite holds up. we got a couple of fluke this morning while doing some local exploring

wdmso
07-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Hit the bay yesterday and once again pogies every place and bigggg schools absent were bass and bluefish

Rockfish9
07-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Things have picked up greatly around PI ( mass)...some big fish have been weighed in to Surfland from boat and beach... pogies have showed along the beachfront and a few have made the river...I had a good week last week for all sizes of fish...small to large when I wasn't outrunning T storms... or gusty winds... all tides seem to be producing with the outgoing still getting the nod from river and beach...as I said earlier in this thread...I think the full moon will be special..water temps are not fluctuating as much from high to low tide ( low 60's to mid to high 60's) and I feel the stability has helped the bite considerably..now if the anchored chunk fisherman at night will just leave their lights on.. fishing would be downright pleasant.

JLH
07-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Not bass but had a nice morning drifting for fluke off of the RI beaches yesterday. Can't believe my first trip on the boat this year was on July 4th... Had my 4 fish limit of fish up to around 24" by around 9am. Checked a few seabass spots but only found one keeper and a few shorts on them along with a bunch of searobins. Finished off the trip digging up a bunch of clams and was back in by around 11 to pick up the family and head to the sandbar.

Edit - almost forgot I did catch a bass around 14" on an spro jig on the way out. Lots of small fish busting in the pond at first light.

RIROCKHOUND
07-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Not bass but had a nice morning drifting for fluke off of the RI beaches yesterday. Can't believe my first trip on the boat this year was on July 4th... Had my 4 fish limit of fish up to around 24" by around 9am. Checked a few seabass spots but only found one keeper and a few shorts on them along with a bunch of searobins. Finished off the trip digging up a bunch of clams and was back in by around 11 to pick up the family and head to the sandbar.

Edit - almost forgot I did catch a bass around 14" on an spro jig on the way out. Lots of small fish busting in the pond at first light.

Had the opposite. Fished near Newport. Easy limit of BSB, no monsters but some nice knotheads. No wind for a drift and only a bunch of short fluke. Hard to fish the structure edges with no wind!

Those dink bass are ubiquitous right now down there....

Vogt
07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Had some decent summer togging on Sunday for opening weekend of the CT summer season. Fished a variety of drops in the kayaks, from 7-18 FOW. Plenty of fish still concentrated shallow. Surface temps were 68-71 degrees. Nothing big but a bunch of keepers for the group. Also had a surprise 36" bass on half a green crab.

Zeal
07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Just spent July 2nd to 4th at sea almost nonstop fishing around Plum Gut, Gardiners Island, Shelter Island, Orient point, and Greenport. Fishing was slow and I'm being generous with that term. Plenty of bait around but the predators just were not interested. Though I caught a 12" baby striper at the dock at night that was one of the many terrorizing a huge school of spearing. Sea bass have been small and the scup even have been lazy.

At least the days were beautiful....

Rockfish9
07-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Merrimack River 7/1 - 7/6....the only night I did not fish was the 4th.Best fish of the week( last night) 27lbs... a lot of 26 -27" fish ( new arrivals covered with lice showed up this week... there are more 10lb class fish around the last few nights than there were earlier... the wind finally subsided so I could effectively fish some new water on the rising tide.. water temp at high tide 64....I still haven't stuck a jumbo but there are a few around... I'm betting on them being outside with the pogie schools... next week will tell the tale.

piemma
07-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Lots of Pogy schools in EG Bay, Narr Bay and up the River. No fish on the except a few shorts. Water 72 degrees.

FishTales
07-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Beavertail last night at high tide & not even a nibble .

Got Stripers
07-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Launched the yak at Gooseberry Point and made the paddle to Hens & Chicken's, which had some large swells busting on it. I had to pick my spots obviously, but caught a bunch of tog, a couple nice keeper sea bass, maybe 15 schoolies to maybe 24" (nothing big) and lost a keeper fluke or I'd have a trifecta of good eaters. If the limit on tog was more than three, I'd have stayed longer, but heading to the ramp late morning. I know if I'd been in my old center console, I'd have been out front throwing into that large wash; not in a 14 foot yak. Still that Hobie PA14 is amazingly stable and rides the large rollers and chop well. A handful of boats working the perimeter, but they weren't chancing coming in where I was working. The hard decision now is do I vacuum seal tog and eat sea bass, or the other way around.

Guppy
07-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Launched the yak at Gooseberry Point and made the paddle to Hens & Chicken's, which had some large swells busting on it. I had to pick my spots obviously, but caught a bunch of tog, a couple nice keeper sea bass, maybe 15 schoolies to maybe 24" (nothing big) and lost a keeper fluke or I'd have a trifecta of good eaters. If the limit on tog was more than three, I'd have stayed longer, but heading to the ramp late morning. I know if I'd been in my old center console, I'd have been out front throwing into that large wash; not in a 14 foot yak. Still that Hobie PA14 is amazingly stable and rides the large rollers and chop well. A handful of boats working the perimeter, but they weren't chancing coming in where I was working. The hard decision now is do I vacuum seal tog and eat sea bass, or the other way around.

Other way around Bob

How about we make that trip in the boat soon?

Got Stripers
07-10-2017, 06:52 AM
you wont have to twist my arm much on that invite. I love finessing tog on small plastic and many might not realize how fing aggressive they are when you put current and white water into the mix. I can catch them without that, but it takes a bit more patience, but they see those conditions as an opportunity to get some easy meals just like stripers do.

When I got tired of casting, I actually caught several more by just drifting in 8-10 ft of water and dropping the jig straight down and just twitching right under the boat as i drifted. The key always with this is never to set the hook, you need to wait until they pull the rod tip down, because sometimes they just don't have it in their mouths all the way.

bassballer
07-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Finally got out for a father son trip with my pops on sunday morning. Havent fished with him in a long time. Had him on a real nice fish second drift. Not sure he was ready for that and it broke him off in the rocks. Next drift he bagged a niceteen size fish. His first one in more than 5 years! He was pretty pumped. He went home with some nice fillets. Solid bite going on. Wish i could just get out more.

piemma
07-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Finally got out for a father son trip with my pops on sunday morning. Havent fished with him in a long time. Had him on a real nice fish second drift. Not sure he was ready for that and it broke him off in the rocks. Next drift he bagged a niceteen size fish. His first one in more than 5 years! He was pretty pumped. He went home with some nice fillets. Solid bite going on. Wish i could just get out more.

Me too Jay. I have only fished once in 3 weeks (on the 7th). Just to much family stuff/work on the property to fish. I'm lucky to get out and golf once a week.

Liv2Fish
07-14-2017, 04:45 PM
On vacation last week. Launched at 4:00 am with my oldest daughter, jigged up some Macs and ran to the Race thinking we were going to kill it but there was nothing bigger than 30". My daughter, who hasn't caught anything under 40" all spring and is now spoiled was pissed. Fishing slowed up at the end of the tide so we ran back to pick up the wife, youngest daughter and wife's brother who was in from CO. He had never been in the ocean before so we decided to take him for a rip down the coast. Halfway to the canal, we came across this school of pogies getting hammered by 30-40lb bass. I'd snag a pogy and as soon as i made it stand out in the school, it was inhaled - less than a minute. Each fish to the boat had several fish trailing it. One even stole the pogy off the hooked fishes head right at the boat. We had this for 2 hours straight before we had to go in. With the amazing spring in upper Buzzards Bay and the amount of pogies and macs in CCB, it's shaping up to be a great year. Hopefully the temps stay down and the bait hangs around.

Here are my 7 and 9 year olds new PBs. Chit, my oldest now has me beat...

Guppy
07-14-2017, 05:05 PM
On vacation last week. Launched at 4:00 am with my oldest daughter, jigged up some Macs and ran to the Race thinking we were going to kill it but there was nothing bigger than 30". My daughter, who hasn't caught anything under 40" all spring and is now spoiled was pissed. Fishing slowed up at the end of the tide so we ran back to pick up the wife, youngest daughter and wife's brother who was in from CO. He had never been in the ocean before so we decided to take him for a rip down the coast. Halfway to the canal, we came across this school of pogies getting hammered by 30-40lb bass. I'd snag a pogy and as soon as i made it stand out in the school, it was inhaled - less than a minute. Each fish to the boat had several fish trailing it. One even stole the pogy off the hooked fishes head right at the boat. We had this for 2 hours straight before we had to go in. With the amazing spring in upper Buzzards Bay and the amount of pogies and macs in CCB, it's shaping up to be a great year. Hopefully the temps stay down and the bait hangs around.

Here are my 7 and 9 year olds new PBs. Chit, my oldest now has me beat...

How sweet is that! :-)

Thanks, great post

Poncho
07-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Great stuff right there. I will be down there with my boat next week hopefully they stick around. love the big smiles in the pictures you are making memories that will last forever. Fishing with my father growing up was all about the Deerfield river and small brooks all across western mass. He never fished salt water until I bought my boat. Now he has my personal best beat by 5 pounds. But the real take away is how important time together with family is.

SAUERKRAUT
07-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Brother Don still in the NJ surf. He informs me that now, and progressively over the past few summer seasons, the rays are so numerous that it is virtually impossible to bottom fish without getting tangled up with one of these.

? Possible with the depletion of the inshore shark populations, that these rays have no just become out of control.

Rockport24
07-18-2017, 02:44 PM
hey guys - haven't been on in a while, but I like this thread!

Been having a pretty damn good season compared to the last say 3-4 years. Consistently catching a lot of fish every trip, but not a lot of size. Had a great trip on the June full moon with a 30 pound-class fish and multiple teen-20lb size, then its been mainly 26-28 inch fish, but a lot of them and full of sea lice the last couple of weeks. Got into some macks this weekend and got one fish about 35 inches, and the rest were all the 26-28 inch range. I'm having a ton of fun catching these days though since I really only get out once a week, my trips have to count and its been good for me anyways. This is all from a kayak on the dawn shift, I've really settled in that schedule and I love it.

niko
07-18-2017, 07:56 PM
yeah my areas thick with 26-30 inch fish - we've been using the albie rods but get surprised by 20 pounders once in awhile

Rockfish9
07-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Quality of the fish has improved this past week in the Merrimac river..still not alot of trophy size fish but enough teen and 20 lb. Fish to make it fun. ..Fished the Saco river(from shore) in Maine last week end and the the bite for 22 to 26" fish was steady and some times hot...I took several low teens sized fish and lost one MUCH larger to a mooring ..I saw pogies in the river at day break Sunday and was able to snag a few...guess what the big fish took.

numbskull
07-20-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm fishing on memories only down here.

piemma
07-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Got my best fish in the boat this AM. Scale bounced between 43 and 45#. She's still swimming. No picture as I was:
1. Alone

2. 4 foot swell

3. Up against some real nasty rocks.

PB on my boat.

ProfessorM
07-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Nice Paul. Congrats. I got schoolies last night.

piemma
07-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Thanks Paul.
2 of my nephews were at the Block Tuesday night and Chris hooked a fish he fought for over an hour and lost when the 50# leader snapped. I'm thinking it was a small Yellow Fin or maybe a School Bluefin. Don't think it was a shark as he would have lost it a lot sooner.

ProfessorM
07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Nice. At least he got to enjoy the tug

numbskull
07-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Made another trip today. How much do golf lessons cost?

Sea Dangles
07-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Got my best fish in the boat this AM. Scale bounced between 43 and 45#. She's still swimming. No picture as I was:
1. Alone

2. 4 foot swell

PB on my boat.

Nice Paul,
F the pics

Guppy
07-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Dark as hell last night, wind kicked up a little, used old machine point to get in tight to rocks (dangerous hey?) , in two different spots,,,
Caught a bunch of what felt like really big rocks, they love eels

Fifth day of fishing in a row,,, R&R tomorrow

Guppy
07-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Here's one
My life long fishing buddy's gran son comes out this way once a year. He's the spitin image of his farther who I watched grow up with a rod in his hand. 11 years old, get up at 3 am, no problem, let's get going, I can't wait....
Well last year was less than a stellar trip and I promised next year I'd get him a monster..
Primed him with macs, heads for the Race, throughs one out there, hands him the rod, Sa mash, fights a 25# for what seemed like forever...
It brought me back 35-40 yrs., I could just see his farther at that age wearing the way too large yellow suit, pouring rain, standing in the 16' tin boat with the exact , exact,wide eyed smile on his face, grunting with every pump of the rod.... God I miss those days

Fishing memories are forever

bassballer
07-22-2017, 05:29 PM
1. Alone

2. 4 foot swell

PB on my boat.

:btu: nice Paul

numbskull
07-23-2017, 07:27 AM

That they are and we are lucky for it.

wdmso
07-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Again the weather has kept me on the trailer was hoping to have a better week but its not looking good

Las t week I was at the Race catching but nothing big most 28in to 32 in fish very Fat and very feisty.. 2 notable thing did happen had 2 humpbacks 20 yards off the stern cruise by .. and happened on a huge school of pogies the biggest i have ever seen basically it was a moving football field i saw it not from splashing pogies but it looked like a rust spot .. but they were completely alone was hoping for a Tuna or 2 to show up they were between the race and the SW corner of Stellwagen

In The Surf
07-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Congrats Paul, nice fish no matter how you caught it.

Guppy
07-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Again the weather has kept me on the trailer was hoping to have a better week but its not looking good

Las t week I was at the Race catching but nothing big most 28in to 32 in fish very Fat and very feisty.. 2 notable thing did happen had 2 humpbacks 20 yards off the stern cruise by .. and happened on a huge school of pogies the biggest i have ever seen basically it was a moving football field i saw it not from splashing pogies but it looked like a rust spot .. but they were completely alone was hoping for a Tuna or 2 to show up they were between the race and the SW corner of Stellwagen

You'll be on the trailer tomorrow for sure,, good seeing ya, went back up there Wednesday ,,, so so, one 20 +

Slipknot
07-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Here's one
My life long fishing buddy's gran son comes out this way once a year. He's the spitin image of his farther who I watched grow up with a rod in his hand. 11 years old, get up at 3 am, no problem, let's get going, I can't wait....
Well last year was less than a stellar trip and I promised next year I'd get him a monster..
Primed him with macs, heads for the Race, throughs one out there, hands him the rod, Sa mash, fights a 25# for what seemed like forever...
It brought me back 35-40 yrs., I could just see his farther at that age wearing the way too large yellow suit, pouring rain, standing in the 16' tin boat with the exact , exact,wide eyed smile on his face, grunting with every pump of the rod.... God I miss those days

That is COOL Ray

fishrick
07-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Have taken 5 of my grandkids fishing this year so far....some are diehards like this, others are "casual"....still tons of fun. One grandson and I hit the rail on the Frances fleet for an all day trip and he never gave up...every minute, and a slow day. We did get two good fluke.

piemma
07-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Headed out tomorrow AM with my nephews Father-in -law and his little (10 YO) nephew from Sacramento CA. Hope to get them into some decent fish. We'll see. I'm hoping it lays down as there are Small Craft Warnings up right now.

Rockfish9
07-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Headed out tomorrow AM with my nephews Father-in -law and his little (10 YO) nephew from Sacramento CA. Hope to get them into some decent fish. We'll see. I'm hoping it lays down as there are Small Craft Warnings up right now.

pretty ugly here too right now...mouth of the river is wild...it'll be a few days before it calms down out front... good time to catch up on some "honey do " chores... and trap some eels.

piemma
07-25-2017, 07:38 AM
I cancelled the trip. No place for a couple of "flat landers" from interior CA. We'll try tomorrow.

Steve K
08-18-2017, 11:07 AM
I like this thread and I would like to keep it going:

It was only my second time out fishing this season because I have been too busy selling and buying a house. I was on BI the last week of July and there were pogies on Crescent Beach during the day. I had never seen that before. On Sunday night during the new moon and right before the nor’easter and I had teen size stripers on every cast for two hours. They were aggressively feeding on large pogies. I stopped counting at 15 fish and lost around 10. I was exhausted and secretly hoping it would end but there was no way I could leave until it stopped. The seas were really big which kept the fish in close for the first three hours of the outgoing. I could tell the fishing were moving to deeper water because toward the end the fish were hitting the plug as soon as it hit the water. I was completely alone and it was pitch black out which made fixing my broken headlamp an impossibility. My headlamp strap malfunctioned causing the light to cover my face but I could not stop to fix it while fighting fish. When I did stop it was too dark for me to figure out what was wrong with. I spend the night with the strap whipping my head and the light slowly slipping down in front of my eyes. My boot became untied and filled up with sand but I did not notice until it was really bad. I live for nights like this which are a total blast. Glad to see so many teen size bass around.

SAUERKRAUT
08-19-2017, 07:53 AM
It doesn't happen often having good fishing alone. It almost never happens in the Canal environment. It almost never happens along the NJ beaches.

I took a 23-0 this AM all alone on a riggie. All Alone because the weather was delightfully #^&#^&#^&#^&ty so the softie boaters were docked.

ProfessorM
08-19-2017, 11:37 AM
I sweated thru my rain gear last night as the rain permeated thru my gear in the opposite direction. Soggy is an understatement. Oh yeah and I didn't catch a thing. Lots of other nit wits out there with me too.

Got Stripers
08-20-2017, 02:07 PM
GB and I fished off Westport today, schoolies everywhere, but mostly small; although Greg managed two just over 28".

Rmarsh
08-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Took the boat out on Monday to look for Bonito. I had caught a couple of them last week so I thought I might find them again. No such luck this time. What we did find was pretty good though.

Pulled up to a rocky area where the dropping tide was creating a pretty good rip. My guest and I began by both hooking up immediatly with keeper size stripers. We went on catching on every cast like that for a good two hours. We had to take a break after a while to hydrate then went right back to the frenzy.

On the way back in I saw a fin sticking up out of the water, so I slowed down and turned the boat in that direction. It took me a minute to figure out that it was an ocean sunfish, basking on the surface. My buddy and i started laughing and joking about it being a baby whale or a tuna. "Jay, what is that f'ing thing.....call the aquarium"

scottw
08-23-2017, 06:41 AM
love this time of year for the opportunity to catch so many different species...August is when I usually find squeteague, bones are here and albies coming...last year blue runners were in the mix....with the bait and favorable weather you never know what you might find

Zeal
09-06-2017, 01:42 PM
About a week or 2 ago I saw a ton of bunker (seriously, I think it would have weighed that much) with some brown sharks, hammerhead, and a nice humpback whale. But the fluking has been awful along with tuna around these parts. I haven't tried for stripers yet but even the commercial guys are pretty down lately too.

I did catch my first mackerel which was a short fight since it was small but it was fun nonetheless.

Rmarsh
09-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Missed opportunity last night......something large grabbed my eel and headed due south............zzzz...zzzz......zzzzz...snap.
Brand new line on my reel and I don't think my drag was set too tight. Definately never hooked into anything that pulled that hard before. Tied on a new rig and eel, then caught a few teen sized stripers that were just plain disapointing.
Tossed and turned in my sleep and my first thought when waking this morning.....how and why did that happen? Maybe a seal I dunno:confused:

Guppy
09-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Missed opportunity last night......something large grabbed my eel and headed due south............zzzz...zzzz......zzzzz...snap.
Brand new line on my reel and I don't think my drag was set too tight. Definately never hooked into anything that pulled that hard before. Tied on a new rig and eel, then caught a few teen sized stripers that were just plain disapointing.
Tossed and turned in my sleep and my first thought when waking this morning.....how and why did that happen? Maybe a seal I dunno:confused:

Wow Bob!
That'll drive ya nuts , hey?
Do Albies like eels? :-)

Guppy
09-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Albie bite up this way is off the wall....

Rmarsh
09-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Albie bite up this way is off the wall....
Hope to find them down this way.
Taking the boat out tomorrow to try my luck.

CTSurfrat
09-10-2017, 01:43 PM

I say you go with a seal. It will help you sleep better!

Tunabreath
09-10-2017, 02:26 PM
I'm gonna look for Albies this week too, hopefully a decent weather window

PaulS
09-10-2017, 06:39 PM
I saw a guy cast his back up outfit into the canal today. Luckily it stayed attached and he was able to reel it in. Right below the pier so people got a good laugh at that. Saw a guy who had no idea what he was doing catch about a 47-inch fish then catch a smaller one later and threw it next to the larger fish. I told him you can only keep one he said no I can keep 4 bc I have three friends with me. The fish ended up down near the bubble weed and I heard him talking on the phone saying to one of his friends it's not the size we want. I told him I was going to call the police on them. His friend later showed up and then left with three fish because they had two little kids with him.

Guppy
09-10-2017, 07:00 PM
I saw a guy cast his back up outfit into the canal today. Luckily it stayed attached and he was able to reel it in. Right below the pier so people got a good laugh at that. Saw a guy who had no idea what he was doing catch about a 47-inch fish then catch a smaller one later and threw it next to the larger fish. I told him you can only keep one he said no I can keep 4 bc I have three friends with me. The fish ended up down near the bubble weed and I heard him talking on the phone saying to one of his friends it's not the size we want. I told him I was going to call the police on them. His friend later showed up and then left with three fish because they had two little kids with him.

For those of us not too sharp :-)

"Back up outfit" ?

That's how to teach those kids, hey?

PaulS
09-10-2017, 07:14 PM
He had 2 rods. Was riding my bike by and heard the second Rod being launched into the water. Must have been behind him and he caught it on his back cast

nightfighter
09-10-2017, 07:34 PM
I offered a guy to take a picture with his multiple fish about four years ago. He obliged. I took pic with my phone and told him I would get his plate on the way out to send to EPO, if he didn't release that extra fish....

nightfighter
09-10-2017, 07:37 PM
I got into the tiny fish from shore today that are gorging on peanut bunker. All probably smaller than the albies you guys are getting

Guppy
09-11-2017, 05:28 AM
He had 2 rods. Was riding my bike by and heard the second Rod being launched into the water. Must have been behind him and he caught it on his back cast

That's funny and sounds like something I'd do... :-)

saltyric
09-11-2017, 06:21 AM
I got into the tiny fish from shore today that are gorging on peanut bunker. All probably smaller than the albies you guys are getting

holy micro bass! must have got 50 bass, not one over 18" yesterday along the whole coast down to nahant

Got Stripers
09-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Hoping to get out tomorrow, not sure where, but I'm leaning towards Sakonet so I have a shot at some sea bass. I'd love to luck out and see some albies in the am and maybe pick a tog or two off the lighthouse.

Rockfish9
09-11-2017, 08:57 AM
fished both weekend nights in the river... Went out at midnight Friday( Saturday morning) fishing the top half of the incoming and an hour of the drop..playing a hand that has been good to me for many years... it came up jokers.. I quit at 3 AM ... fish 1 Joe 0... decided to give maximum effort Saturday night still believing that the river would produce... left the dock @ sunset. I drowned/beat to death about a dozen large eels. as the first grey streaks of the new day turned to dawn I saw birds gathering on the outging tide rips...sadly nothing in those rips could eat an 18" eel.. or get a 6" Danny in it's mouth..no matter how many times they hit it... cold... stiff and very tired I headed back to the dock... fish 2... Joe 0...hard to believe that with all that bait dropping down and water temps in the high 50's there wasn't a decent fish anywhere in the river... I even fished way up river in spots I used to fish in the mid 80's when I "needed" a fish and none were to be had "anywhere".. I never even got a tap ... I haven't seen that kind of fishing ( or lack of big fish) since I was very young...not even even during the moratorium... I might just be on a cold streak...it happens.. but even a blind bass gets a pogie once in awhile...on the other hand. I never saw another boat either night... the day break crew headed straight for the mouth of the river.. never even pausing to see what the bird activity was all about...I guess everyone else is smarter than me..

I'll fish the river one more time tomorrow night.. down to the bottom of the tide and then the swing... if I don't see any action it'll mean I covered the entire tide range .. at that time I'll accept there is nothing there ( yet) ..I'll focus on the beach front the rest of the week...after all....it only takes ONE to make it all worth while.

wdmso
09-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Left Swansea boat ramp went to sakonnet point birds all over but only managed a few small schoolies hit the beaches nothing in front of newport nothing North wind was kicking had some chop then decided to run South 1\2 way I see small macks or cigar minnows getting chased I throw white Albie snax and I am tight few minutes later another .. 15 mins looking cant find them decide to move south

OMG what a call.. it was lights out for 3 hrs of non stop albies and I left fish were still busting And I was Alone for most of it .. Insane PM me if you want location they were all 6-8 lbs with a few 10s in the mix I was alone on the boat I caught 15 fish no BS and then had dolphin escort back to Newport

Rob Rockcrawler
09-11-2017, 04:03 PM
There are fish on block. Noting large yet but my group of 4 got about 20 small keepers last night. Fluke are biting from shore, albies are giving me the finger as they fly by.

fish4striper
09-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Left Swansea boat ramp went to sakonnet point birds all over but only managed a few small schoolies hit the beaches nothing in front of newport nothing North wind was kicking had some chop then decided to run South 1\2 way I see small macks or cigar minnows getting chased I throw white Albie snax and I am tight few minutes later another .. 15 mins looking cant find them decide to move south

OMG what a call.. it was lights out for 3 hrs of non stop albies and I left fish were still busting And I was Alone for most of it .. Insane PM me if you want location they were all 6-8 lbs with a few 10s in the mix I was alone on the boat I caught 15 fish no BS and then had dolphin escort back to Newport

We caught 50 today, 2 guys. One big green bonito too.

Rmarsh
09-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Albie fishing was good today. I got three pretty good ones to the boat and there were a few that got off. Snapped a rod trying to lift one big one into the boat.

Sea Dangles
09-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Great reports guys. Bones and albies seem plentiful this year.

Clammer
09-11-2017, 08:27 PM
I burned a lot of gas & counted 2700000000000000 peanut bunker today >>>>>>>>>>>> But it was a nice day OTW ><>:angel:

fishgolf
09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
that's a funny post clammer

Got Stripers
09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
I knew it was going to be a good day, when the ice machine wouldn't take a dollar and I pressed the button anyway and out came a free 10lb bag of ice. After a dozen schoolies, the albies went crazy and after a dozen casts with a small epoxy jig to try to match the peanut bunker spraying every which why, I decided to go bigger. Put a smallmouth colored 4" split tail that used to be a killer, amber with tails dipped in orange die, well let's just say I'm toast. I've never caught that many allies in an outing and one monster took me almost ten minutes to land and it was freeky getting the kayak pulled around at about 1 knot.

I wish I didn't have to leave at 11am, because they were still busting, but my shoulders were beat by then anyway. Those fish are so fing fun to catch, to bad they are good eaters too.

Rmarsh
09-13-2017, 05:53 AM
I knew it was going to be a good day, when the ice machine wouldn't take a dollar and I pressed the button anyway and out came a free 10lb bag of ice. After a dozen schoolies, the albies went crazy and after a dozen casts with a small epoxy jig to try to match the peanut bunker spraying every which why, I decided to go bigger. Put a smallmouth colored 4" split tail that used to be a killer, amber with tails dipped in orange die, well let's just say I'm toast. I've never caught that many allies in an outing and one monster took me almost ten minutes to land and it was freeky getting the kayak pulled around at about 1 knot.

I wish I didn't have to leave at 11am, because they were still busting, but my shoulders were beat by then anyway. Those fish are so fing fun to catch, to bad they are good eaters too.

It must be a rush hooking into albies from the kayak, such powerful swimmers. Do you set your drag on the lighter side? Havent fished from my kayak for a few years now, had some great times, and caught some decent fish that way. Too much pain in my shoulders and hands from arthritis now to enjoy the challenge.

I think I have seen your yak when I fish that area, thought about approaching to say hello, but didn't want to intrude.

Hope those albies stay around a little longer, can't get enough of that adrenaline release.

Rockfish9
09-13-2017, 06:38 AM
last night was as nice as weather gets in mid September...warm... light enough wind to keep the bugs away but not interfere with the plan...

last nights plan was to fish from sunset until low tide in the river... the area I was fishing is an old side channel that boarders the flats..it was the original channel for the river before the Army Corps re routed the river to make it straighter ( long before my time) and a sand bar isolates it from the main channel until you near the basin ( original river exit)
there's plenty of fish up on the flats...if .. you like playing in the day care.. because it was a week night ( work at 6 the next day) I have to "stick and stay and make it pay"..I'm also dealing with a hyper extended patella tendon in my right knee..so I spent the night trolling eels listening to the sox game sitting on my keister...
an hour before the bottom of the tide... just as the Sox were putting the final touch on the A's.. I could hear big splashes out near the channel... the whole length of the run... at first I thought it might be seals... but there were a lot of them.. and none of the usual grunting... ocassionally you could hear a student pop the herring drops out near the channel....My heart started pounding .. those HAD to be big fish smashing bait. at the end of the run I quietly motored up to make another run ..this time on the main channel side of the bar...I could still hear the occasional explosions...I started the electric motor and I peered intently into the shadows of the lights near the mooring field looking for the cause of all the disturbance...imagine my surprise when a 5' sturgeon jumped clear of the water banging off my boat...Its not uncommon to see sturgeon in the river... I see them often.. but NEVER this many... for two hours they jumped and played all around me..I've never seen so many... I thought for sure I was into the mother load of large hungry bass...it was pretty exciting and I caught enough fish{Bass} ( biggest was about 10lbs)to make me realize how special some nights can be...catching a trophy is just a bonus.

MAKAI
09-13-2017, 06:44 AM
Now that's cool.

Sea Dangles
09-13-2017, 07:14 AM
How can you hook those Joe?

Rockfish9
09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
How can you hook those Joe?

short nose sturgeon are protected... IF you hook one it must be released without taking them from the water... I didn't catch any (which I am grateful for).. they just jumped all around the boat... including the one that hit the boat...... occasionally people hook them on cut bait... most times they get snagged/foul hooked...My biggest fear as I headed in was one landing IN the boat...many,many years ago I while returning home across the flats in a tin boat I ran through a pod of small bass on the flats... they exploded out of the water and one of them hit me in the chest.. knocking the wind out of me...if a 5' 200lb sturgeon did that I wouldn't be typing on line tight now...

ProfessorM
09-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Neat Joe.

Albie city in my home waters.

Rockfish9
09-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Neat Joe.

Albie city in my home waters.

if that place wasn't such a zoo I'd trailer the boat down... dust off my fly rod... and have some fun... I just cant deal with people..I'm spoiled.. I haven't seen a boat in the last 5 trips.. I like it that way..

ProfessorM
09-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Yeah I hear you but it has not
Been that bad, yet

MikeD
09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
last night was as nice as weather gets in mid September...warm... light enough wind to keep the bugs away but not interfere with the plan...

last nights plan was to fish from sunset until low tide in the river... the area I was fishing is an old side channel that boarders the flats..it was the original channel for the river before the Army Corps re routed the river to make it straighter ( long before my time) and a sand bar isolates it from the main channel until you near the basin ( original river exit)
there's plenty of fish up on the flats...if .. you like playing in the day care.. because it was a week night ( work at 6 the next day) I have to "stick and stay and make it pay"..I'm also dealing with a hyper extended patella tendon in my right knee..so I spent the night trolling eels listening to the sox game sitting on my keister...
an hour before the bottom of the tide... just as the Sox were putting the final touch on the A's.. I could hear big splashes out near the channel... the whole length of the run... at first I thought it might be seals... but there were a lot of them.. and none of the usual grunting... ocassionally you could hear a student pop the herring drops out near the channel....My heart started pounding .. those HAD to be big fish smashing bait. at the end of the run I quietly motored up to make another run ..this time on the main channel side of the bar...I could still hear the occasional explosions...I started the electric motor and I peered intently into the shadows of the lights near the mooring field looking for the cause of all the disturbance...imagine my surprise when a 5' sturgeon jumped clear of the water banging off my boat...Its not uncommon to see sturgeon in the river... I see them often.. but NEVER this many... for two hours they jumped and played all around me..I've never seen so many... I thought for sure I was into the mother load of large hungry bass...it was pretty exciting and I caught enough fish{Bass} ( biggest was about 10lbs)to make me realize how special some nights can be...catching a trophy is just a bonus.

Thats why I keep coming to this site. Fantastic couple of recaps. Very cool seeing those sturgeon.

Sea Dangles
09-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Yeah I hear you but it has not
Been that bad, yet

I caught my largest ever a couple days ago. Baby whale....

ProfessorM
09-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Yeah Chris they have been real good size this year. No horseing them in

Guppy
09-13-2017, 05:08 PM
I caught my largest ever a couple days ago. Baby whale....

Checked out the Onslow today,,, she's still looking good.. :kewl:

Sea Dangles
09-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Hope you made out well Ray,I will be out in the morn. Did you go far?

Guppy
09-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Hope you made out well Ray,I will be out in the morn. Did you go far?

Oops missed this in time

All small tog and large BSB (closed) at Ribbon,,,,

No sign of bones late morning all the way to and up into the Sakonnet

Guys looking at the marina breakwater Sakonnet

bobber
09-14-2017, 11:32 AM
had them at the Hill yesterday too.... lots to go around. seems they have invaded the entire area- got reports from MTK to Niantic yesterday

Got Stripers
09-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Big Fish and I hit it today hoping to repeat what I had Tuesday, foggy, choppy, fishy, but I guess the fish didn't get the memo.

rphud
09-14-2017, 12:20 PM
anything close to the beach near the Hill or all boat fish?

Billybob
09-14-2017, 01:20 PM
had them at the Hill yesterday too.... lots to go around. seems they have invaded the entire area- got reports from MTK to Niantic yesterday

Yup - I'm going out tomorrow.

bobber
09-14-2017, 08:20 PM
anything close to the beach near the Hill or all boat fish?

at times- the guys on the rocks didn't seem interested in throwing at them.... but if you were properly equipped, they were in range periodically.

NOTE- a friend was there today and had none.......

rphud
09-15-2017, 06:55 AM
situation normal, thanks for the info

Rockfish9
09-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Much better... I left the dock at 6:30 as the incoming tide made it's last push.. water temp was 65 at the top of the tide... storms to the north and south made me decide to stay close to home...I turned out to be a good choice..
I fished a section of the river I call the swirl.. this stretch of river runs tight to the marsh... numerous creeks and back waters feed into the river here... this time of year large ( and small ) bass will gather in the mouth of the creeks as they enter the main river thus creating numerous eddies or "swirls" they pick off passing herring and shad drops as the tumble bye... I notices the dinner plate sized swirls indication there were at least little guy's in attendance. Picking off "rain bait" as it drifted bye.. not wanting to play in the kiddie pool I wrangled on of the largest eels in the bucket... this thing was half as fat and equally as long as my arm...it landed with a loud splash when it hit the water... 2 turns of the handle and it got thumped... I set the hook and finally.. a fish that could pull some drag... the scenario played out 9 times until the tide was half way down... all the fish were in the 18 - 22 lb range not giants but at least respectable... these fish were rust brown with yellow bellies and quite chubby... obviously living up river somewhere where there was plenty of food...

bobber
09-15-2017, 01:08 PM
nice- I love the "thump" ya get when fishing eels.... and you just know theres a fish on the end of your line!

Rockfish9
09-15-2017, 02:25 PM
nice- I love the "thump" ya get when fishing eels.... and you just know theres a fish on the end of your line!

absolutely...and when the water is only 4' deep...there's no where to go but up!

bobber
09-15-2017, 05:17 PM
albie reports from the last 2 days are chaotic at best...... here for an hour then gone, only to pop up at some other spot they weren't before. looks like you find 'em where ya find 'em

nightfighter
09-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Incredible amounts of bait around, both macks and pogies. Bass, not so much.... the few I found were small and took the macks. Pogies were released after swimming unmolested. Fog lifted around the shoreline for a , but was 1/4 mile vis. for most of the morning. Ran the gauntlet around some boulders at lower end of tide to try to find larger fish but it got too skinny and I had to get out of there.... Outside of hrbor there were several boats casting flys and plugs into schools of pogies:hs: Trying to appreciate smaller fish but really wonder where the larger fish are....... I knew I should have blown off work and gone south for albies last week....:fishslap:

MAKAI
09-16-2017, 04:57 PM
" I knew I should have blown off work and gone south for albies last week...."

Me too, arrgghh !!
Working really cramps my style.

redlite
09-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Well after a 6 yr layover( f'n kids) was convinced to finally make a return to my island aka cutty last nite
And it was no bueno.
Biggest water i ever attempted to fish. Hawaii pipeline giant. Miracle we didnt get seriously hurt. Sounded like a freight train speedin by and a 747 goin over head at the same time. Rattled your soul. Not the triumphant return i was anticipating but still nice to kiss my old magic stone and catch some flip flops and not gettin eatin by a shark

niko
09-16-2017, 08:33 PM
been beating on albies pretty good for the last 2 weeks. the fog today made it a little challenging and the "hot spot" had 38 kayaks plus the regular weekend boat crowd. its been pretty fun though - I've had a chance to put a bunch of guys on their first albies. one day we ended up with 60+, it was pretty wild

Got Stripers
09-17-2017, 07:24 AM
been beating on albies pretty good for the last 2 weeks. the fog today made it a little challenging and the "hot spot" had 38 kayaks plus the regular weekend boat crowd. its been pretty fun though - I've had a chance to put a bunch of guys on their first albies. one day we ended up with 60+, it was pretty wild

I hated crowds when I had a boat, can't imagine sitting in my yak with that many others, can see tangled lines and short tempers.

niko
09-17-2017, 09:02 AM
can see tangled lines and short tempers.

the albie crowd is pretty well mannered compared to the bass crowd, I only saw 1 guy acting like a #^&#^&#^&#^& in the last 2 weeks

wdmso
09-17-2017, 09:44 AM
At PJ. Now haven't seen an albie or marked any bait fog still thick 6 ft rollers hope thing change with the tide

piemma
09-17-2017, 09:49 AM
At PJ. Now haven't seen an albie or marked any bait fog still thick 6 ft rollers hope thing change with the tide

Wayne, you are a wild man. Fog was just too think for these old bones to run.

Rmarsh
09-17-2017, 10:59 AM
" I knew I should have blown off work and gone south for albies last week...."
k
Me too, arrgghh !!
Working really cramps my style.

ProfessorM
09-17-2017, 11:25 AM
the albie crowd is pretty well mannered compared to the bass crowd, I only saw 1 guy acting like a #^&#^&#^&#^& in the last 2 weeks

Was it me.
Very well behaved I must say. God were they tough to fool this morning. I got one and felt lucky.

Rockfish9
09-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Wayne, you are a wild man. Fog was just too think for these old bones to run.

Fog made me turn around Before I went 200 yards last night
..maybe I'll change my screen name to puss in boots. ..try again tonight.

Rockfish9
09-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Incredible amounts of bait around, both macks and pogies. Bass, not so much.... the few I found were small and took the macks. Pogies were released after swimming unmolested. Fog lifted around the shoreline for a , but was 1/4 mile vis. for most of the morning. Ran the gauntlet around some boulders at lower end of tide to try to find larger fish but it got too skinny and I had to get out of there.... Outside of hrbor there were several boats casting flys and plugs into schools of pogies:hs: Trying to appreciate smaller fish but really wonder where the larger fish are....... I knew I should have blown off work and gone south for albies last week....:fishslap:

Been a tough year for big fish up our way. ..I haven't broken 30lb yet this season. ..if I don't. .. it will be the first time since 1976 that I don't get at least 1...

Guppy
09-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Was it me.
Very well behaved I must say. God were they tough to fool this morning. I got one and felt lucky.

Made a quick run out at 11,,,, dead and not much bait,,, I hope it isn't over :-(

wdmso
09-17-2017, 03:33 PM

Left PJ at Noon with no change in the fog a bigger incoming Swell (low tide ) back to Newport total skunk.. Was expecting fish to put on a feed bag with the coming Low pressure i was wrong :confused:

ronfish
09-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Left PJ at Noon with no change in the fog a bigger incoming Swell (low tide ) back to Newport total skunk.. Was expecting fish to put on a feed bag with the coming Low pressure i was wrong :confused: wdmso- I ran down to the Sakonnet river looking for some blues this morning. The fog wasn't good but I made it and found some blues but once it began to clear the albies showed up in the river above Fogland. They were really fussy keying in on the pnutz and there is a lot of bait around for them to chose from.
Ron

niko
09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Was it me.

you're on the non #^&#^&#^&#^& list. its a short list

ProfessorM
09-17-2017, 06:28 PM
you're on the non #^&#^&#^&#^& list. its a short list

Only Paul's allowed on that list.

tysdad115
09-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Only Paul's allowed on that list.

Says who?

niko
09-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Says me, the prof and piemma. The rest of you, especially skippy, are on the other list

DZ
09-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Went out for an hour at dusk - big water - scary water. Managed a half dozen on bucktails. Plenty in the white water just tough to find a perch where I wouldn't get killed. Back home watching more football. Stay safe or stay inside the bays.

wdmso
09-18-2017, 05:58 AM
wdmso- I ran down to the Sakonnet river looking for some blues this morning. The fog wasn't good but I made it and found some blues but once it began to clear the albies showed up in the river above Fogland. They were really fussy keying in on the pnutz and there is a lot of bait around for them to chose from.
Ron

that was my 1st choice Newport was my 2nd .. all ways go with your 1st choice

tysdad115
09-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Been a tough year for big fish up our way. ..I haven't broken 30lb yet this season. ..if I don't. .. it will be the first time since 1976 that I don't get at least 1...

That's pretty interesting Joe. What do you attribute that to? Are water temps in line with previous years? Bait seems to be in many places but not fish. Do you think it's just a lack of fish? Or are conditions different keeping them out?

Rockfish9
09-18-2017, 08:51 AM
That's pretty interesting Joe. What do you attribute that to? Are water temps in line with previous years? Bait seems to be in many places but not fish. Do you think it's just a lack of fish? Or are conditions different keeping them out?

everything is in line to be "average" Water temps have been good.. certainly no lack of bait... there have been a few exceptional fish around.. those that have been caught have been caught by those that fish every day or camp on the beach for an entire week fishing around the clock..I applaud their dedication... but there are no big pods of them...I have not fished as hard as I have in the past... partly due to the lack of fish...partly due to local weather conditions versus the tides timing .. maybe mostly because I'm just plain getting old and need more sleep than I used to and my bones hurt.. 5 years ago I'd hammer 4 nights in a row regardless of the outcome...and still be to work on time in the morning. Sometimes straight out of the boat. That being said...each season for the last few years there's been less and less quality fish in spots that have historically held them...that area I fished in my last report ALWAYS had at least one jumbo hiding somewhere if you stick it out when the tidal conditions are "right"... I've taken 6 of my 18 fish over 50 from that location. This season it just hasn't been the case.. I can't find them in them in the marshes ...on the flats or out on the beach of even in the rocks. There just are not a lot of them around my area. There are large schools of pogies out on the beach...unmolested.. nothing that I can see has changed except for the lack of fish.... striped bass are cyclical in the numbers migrating to certain areas...so it may just be part of that cycle.. one that has lasted for me anyway... for 40 years...last night that place I fished last week was devoid of life, the school of fish I ran into a few nights ago is gone...if the wind and fog doesn't get me tonight( it made my life miserable last night) ..I'll be back hoping that a tide change will bring in some fish...if my years on the water have taught me nothing else.. every thing can turn on one tide..

so I guess the short answer is.. a combination of lack of quality fish ( there are all the micro to 26" bass you want catch) and lack of effort on my part = a down season.

wdmso
09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
wdmso- I ran down to the Sakonnet river looking for some blues this morning. The fog wasn't good but I made it and found some blues but once it began to clear the albies showed up in the river above Fogland. They were really fussy keying in on the pnutz and there is a lot of bait around for them to chose from.
Ron

Ron they were at that spot today and Farther North by the Island and tight lipped for sure took 3hr and all my tackle .. total match the hatch
luckly found 2 of the smallest Storm shads I didn't know I had.. 1st cast fish on unusable for a 2nd cast used the last one same outcome .. then back to trying everything .. left happy but frustrated

basswipe
09-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Big bluefish in the river,lots of smaller keeper bass underneath.Really hoping for an albie as its the only location I've ever caught one.Loving the jobsite I'm on...great access and no one else.

BMEUPSCOTTY
09-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Well after a 6 yr layover( f'n kids) was convinced to finally make a return to my island aka cutty last nite
And it was no bueno.
Biggest water i ever attempted to fish. Hawaii pipeline giant. Miracle we didnt get seriously hurt. Sounded like a freight train speedin by and a 747 goin over head at the same time. Rattled your soul. Not the triumphant return i was anticipating but still nice to kiss my old magic stone and catch some flip flops and not gettin eatin by a shark

Always cool to get back to a favorite spot you haven't been able to get to for awhile... Sounds like it was crazy but you had fun...
BTW, how are the waves locally, pretty sure I saw you headed that way today 330ish?
I'm not going fishing, just curious.
Probably going to head down for a look tomorrow..

BMEUPSCOTTY
09-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Either that or you were going to get eels...

nightfighter
09-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Was able to get on some larger fish than the schoolies that have been around all season. I think the fall has begun in earnest.....

Rmarsh
09-25-2017, 06:01 AM
Went out yesterday morning in the boat to look for albies. No trouble finding them. Problem was getting them to bite... threw almost everything I had at them. Had a few hits but landed none.....several other boats around and didn't see anyone catching.

Headed back to the ramp to get home in time to watch the Patriots. After the game went out to fish from shore for stripers, with much better results. Went home tired but very happy.
I love fall fishing and will try to get out there as many nights as I can.

scottw
09-25-2017, 10:16 AM
from what I've seen the last few days the fishing is better than before the storm, the water remained clear and the bait is still thick....hope it stays like this for a bit...

spinncognito
09-27-2017, 04:23 AM
Was able to get on some larger fish than the schoolies that have been around all season. I think the fall has begun in earnest.....

Agreed, peanuts popping up in all areas of Cape Ann and fish of all sizes on them. Even saw some mackerel flying out of the water and gannets dive-bombing, sure signs that the run is on. Hope it is a long one....

Rockfish9
09-27-2017, 06:06 AM
Saturday nothing in the river but rats on the incoming. ..Monday night..less rats than Saturday. ..last nights...crickets. ..other than the ocasional sturgeon jump...the only sound was the surf crashing on the beach a mile away. ..

numbskull
09-27-2017, 08:31 AM
For more than a week the surf has wrecked both beach and boat stuff along the lower Elizabeths. Sparse pickings elsewhere. Gobs of peanuts everywhere but few fish on them.

ProfessorM
09-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Took a few small fish on darters on an absolutely beautiful night last night. Had the whole shoreline to myself with a spectacular sun set. Doesn't get any better than that.

t.orlando
09-27-2017, 06:14 PM
It's over:hidin:

Rockfish9
09-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Last night. ..less than crickets...just some knuckle head and his spot light...blinded me several times. ..justice was served when grounded out on the mussel shoal...as he burned my retinas for the last time I said with a big ole grin buck up little camper...the tide will rise enough in about 4 hours"..to set you afloat.....on a positive note...I think I should be able to get out on the beach this weekend. ..I hope the weed subsides with the waves.

piemma
09-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Chased 2 schools this AM on Ohio Ledge. I don't think they were Blues. I think they were Albies. I couldn't catch my ass with both hands.

MAKAI
09-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Blew off work today and went to the river we love to hate last night into mid morning. 🐀s
All is back to normal.

wdmso
09-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Chased 2 schools this AM on Ohio Ledge. I don't think they were Blues. I think they were Albies. I couldn't catch my ass with both hands.

They seem to be the Farthest north I have ever seen them ... still tons of Bait going out Sun \Mon for albies any suggestion where to start encouraged :kewl:

Guppy
09-29-2017, 06:57 PM
They seem to be the Farthest north I have ever seen them ... still tons of Bait going out Sun \Mon for albies any suggestion where to start encouraged :kewl:

With me Sunday , tog also, maybe fairhaven ,,, I'll txt ya

Sea Dangles
09-29-2017, 08:36 PM
I have moved my ride to Scituate to close out the year chasing bluefin. So far it is great👍🏿

numbskull
09-30-2017, 05:41 AM
Smart man, Chris. How far you running to find them?

scottw
09-30-2017, 05:45 AM

I've seen them just below the bridge on the Sakonnet and below the Mt Hope yesterday...seem to be everywhere

Sea Dangles
09-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Smart man, Chris. How far you running to find them?

Scituate harbor is 15 miles from SWC. I usually get bait there and fish SEC. there is a great spin bite out another 15 miles.

nightfighter
09-30-2017, 08:19 AM
I have moved my ride to Scituate to close out the year chasing bluefin. So far it is great👍🏿

Hmm And I was going to text about albies and tog. Good luck with Charlie. Long range weather window looks pretty good.

ProfessorM
09-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Drive the whole length and fished sandy
Neck last night for 1 small fish. Snuck inside B Harbor for the last 2 hours of the tide for a few small fish. Slow is my take right now. Albie wise tons of bait at Dowses and along Craigville but did not see many shore or boat fishermen yesterday afternoon or this morning. I am sure there are some around but I would not drive miles to fish there as of today. Must be better hunting grounds elsewhere I would imagine. Tomorrow who knows.

Guppy
09-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Walked a north side beach myself last evening also Paul,,, weedy at spots and tons of bait in the wash... Narda. :-(

numbskull
09-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Caught a 30" fish walking the dog this am. Felt as full of myself as if I'd landed a 40 lb'er. Best fish I've caught in two weeks, and that includes burning about $100 worth of fuel looking for 'em. Sucks being stupid.

Rockfish9
10-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Caught a 30" fish walking the dog this am. Felt as full of myself as if I'd landed a 40 lb'er. Best fish I've caught in two weeks, and that includes burning about $100 worth of fuel looking for 'em. Sucks being stupid.

welcome to my world.. been that way the entire summer with exception of a few nights...2 weeks and the boat has to be off the dock... I wont shed a tear this year.:lossinit:

fishpoopoo
10-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Took some friends and family for a low impact trip to state beach in W-ly on Saturday night.

High slack was about 6 pm ish.

We were lobbing some herring chunks. Buddy landed his first surf striper ever - 32 inches. He said "it made my arms burn." :jump1:

Fish was promptly released.

A slow night but man after the rain died down around 5:30 ish - it was just gorgeous out. Was happy to be there soaking up the scenery.

fishpoopoo
10-02-2017, 08:44 AM
forgot to mention the fish's belly was covered with red sores. don't know what to make of that other than it might have been a sick fish.

hq2
10-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Yakked off of Marblehead. Beautiful trip, a few other boats out, some yakkers, one of whom saw a small blitz. Caught one 24" striper on a sluggo; no other action. Too bad they were out of worms; I think T & W might have worked better.

niko
10-02-2017, 04:43 PM
All the schoolies you could want in Boston. Fished south coast yesterday with decent numbers of Albies. Small bass and blues were abundant

bassballer
10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
finally getting back out there (daycare), albie bite has been really good. My buddy today said a year ago this week he had a red hot bass bite in a certain spot. Shot over there around 10:30 this morning. Bright sun, flat calm, and the bass were there. Got on a wolf pack right away and bailed fish from 15 to 25# on topwater. Got to love the patterns of these fish.

wdmso
10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Went today 6 Albies 1 10lb little pig smoked my drag washers need to inspect them all on White Albie Snax

Clammer
10-02-2017, 08:51 PM
how do you rig the Albie Snax .......I won some at TFCTF night but not sure if rigging like a sluggo is correct ..

thanks

In The Surf
10-03-2017, 02:49 AM
how do you rig the Albie Snax .......I won some at TFCTF night but not sure if rigging like a sluggo is correct ..

thanks

Mike
They make their own brand twist lock hooks but you could use another mfg's twist lock hooks as well. Thread them on and rig weedless style like other soft plastic baits.

Higgie
10-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Got out in upper bb Sunday am. Plenty of bait and schoolies around but minimal al b. Hoping to find them today

Clammer
10-03-2017, 05:20 AM
thanks ..now I,ll never see them again ><>

niko
10-03-2017, 06:13 AM
the albies are so fat and stuffed with bait. I keep a few for bait and theyre puking up every diff type of bait you could imagine. peanuts, anchovies, butterfish, lookdowns, silversides. one puked up a good size shrimp the other day

wdmso
10-03-2017, 06:56 AM
thanks ..now I,ll never see them again ><>

Clammer this is what has worked for me.. cast in them in a feed and a head of them cast placement seems to do the trick (not Always ) i dont twitch the Albie snaxs just find the speed they like and just reel ( some times i need to tweek the hook so it doesn't spin on the retrieve )

if they are coming at me ill cast behind them and reel thru that works for me also ..

Rockfish9
10-03-2017, 07:28 AM
spent the darkness hours of the incoming along the PI refuge trolling eels in the suds and tossing a darter into the sand working it back to the boat...narry a tap.. hit the river for an hour of the turn...more of the same .. the marshes were alive with ducks and the coyotes yapping in the back ground made my spine tingle...glad I was in the boat.. as I entered the channel on the way home I saw numerous seals in the moonlight... there haven't been many around all summer ...not like in the past..not the case any longer... tonight I plan to swim a plug in the rips in the river mouth on the incoming...Saturday I'll get some macs at day break and swim them along the rocks to the north... that'll probably be my last boat trip as it has to be off the dock by the 15th...made a 22 mile round trip last night..never saw another vessel or fisherman..1/2 the boats from my marina are already out... half of them are winterized and shrink wrapped...
water temp is down to 56... air temp 44 here this morning... making me think about venison and ice fishing!

bassballer
10-03-2017, 09:49 AM
the albies are so fat and stuffed with bait. I keep a few for bait and theyre puking up every diff type of bait you could imagine. peanuts, anchovies, butterfish, lookdowns, silversides. one puked up a good size shrimp the other day

yup! Tried to get a get a self pic at the helm and the fish puked silversides, peanuts all over my electronics and wheel. Clean up wasnt worth the snapshot.

Guppy
10-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Same here for bait..
Their bellies pop like a balloon so stuffed...

More around this year me thinks...:jump:

Rockfish9
10-04-2017, 07:28 AM
ran a few plugs on wire along the jetties and over the shoals last night on the start of the incoming... I picked up a few small fish( on a white bottle)far back from the mouth on the outer bar just as the rips turned frothy...the fish were there for about 20 minuets or so before they dissappeard..no great shakes.. all in the 26 - 30" range... nothing in along the jetty's or inside the mouth... these were back a few hundred yards from the entrance... my guess was a quick pit stop on their way south...

I finished the tide with eels up inside where I fished the night before... I hit a couple of rock piles up river... sadly.. they were barren... only the seals were inhabiting them.... the wind finally drove me off the water as the tide ebbed...same result as the night before...

Sea Dangles
10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Determination

fish raptor
10-04-2017, 01:35 PM

What's a "Lookdowns" ???

MAKAI
10-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Got unbuttoned by a couple canalbies after work today.
But did manage some really nice browns in the full moon, nice visuals.

Rockfish9
10-05-2017, 07:12 AM
the fish ( 10 lb class) showed on the same bar again last night... I hit them a little earlier in the tide last night than the night before... I think it is about the tidal flow around the bar..it lasted about the same amount of time but I think the difference was the build in the height and how it affected the flow... I made passes at the south jetty with no love... a screaming S/W wind made fishing the North side unsafe... didn't eel last night.. I would have went down the beach but the wind would have made it an exercise in futility...those fish are going going somewhere.. I'm sure now it will be along the beach... I keep hoping some larger ones will be ahead or behind... so far it hasn't been the case...

niko
10-05-2017, 06:02 PM
What's a "Lookdowns" ??? on the right

Clammer
10-05-2017, 08:22 PM
I never see them much ???? do they get bigger ?????

hq2
10-06-2017, 08:42 AM
A lookdown! Netted one of those in the Carolinas back in the 70s. So now they're up here, eh? Ahem, and now it's in the 80s in October.
No, there's no evidence for global warming-it's a Chinese hoax!

fishpoopoo
10-06-2017, 11:26 AM
water was pretty warm last weekend - with air temps in the 70's this past week (where I am) ... gotta wonder if that's gonna stick around for a while.

Got Stripers
10-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Boy if anyone has kids or grandkids in the Plymouth mass area, the inner bay is just loaded with bait and schoolies and you can't help but catch. Launched at Stevens Field at 10:30, about 50 fish later the yak was back on the trailer at 1pm and I was heading home. I could have stayed and caught as many as I wanted, but it was hot and I'd had my fun on freshwater gear. All on a 6" bubblegum jerkbait, fished weightless on top with a 5/0 owner 90 degree hook and screw lock bait holder. I had to trim the tip once, but with small bass they last.

Clammer
10-06-2017, 01:39 PM
that ,s fun fishing Bob , :fishin:

Got Stripers
10-06-2017, 03:34 PM
that ,s fun fishing Bob , :fishin:

Like the fishing we had at a certain winter spot you know of, but all topwater and crazy. When those toggy start biting you let me know, I'd take a drive to have a shot at bringing home 6 of those yummy fish. I want to get out once with you before the season ends.

numbskull
10-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Got to the harbor this am around 6. Big peanut blitz all around my moored boat. Caught several small bass to make the dog happy. Flew down the islands, sunrise behind me. Beautiful morning. Arrived at "my" spot only to find a derby #^&#^&#^&#^& anchored throwing live pogies. Cut in down tide and made a drift. Had a 20ish # fish eat a danny 50 yards along. Was missing an entire 1/2 of its upper lip from an old hook injury. Fish looked fat and healthy regardless. I sent it on its way. Proceeded to cast for the next 6 hours into some of the best striped bass water in the world. Caught one more schoolie. No bait, no albies, no birds, no small fish. Ugh. Returned to the harbor. Bass were no longer showing but plenty of cormorants were still working. My skiff was covered with an inch of guano. Double ugh. Still beats the canal.

Clammer
10-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Bob , I,ll get ya out after commercial .we are only allowed 10 fish per boat .no matter how many fisherman ?? all fish under 6# are sold alive at $4.50 or more PP / last shot for $$$$$$$$ for the year .

yeah we have been onto all schoolies ya ever want for the last two weeks .but this week the sizes mixed up to over 20# / yesterday I had 10 over 28" plus a bunch on smaller ...all on cheap plastic schoolie poppers / Denis was using rubber I quit when I caught two blues ><>

Guppy
10-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Mass com over!

Clammer
10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
did you do OK .............live price ????

Guppy
10-08-2017, 05:55 AM
Poor, Foolishly spent too much time chasing Alby ,
I think the BSB pot guys fill the quota more than rods

Clammer
10-08-2017, 06:38 AM
I meant Tautog .. sea bass . the pots & lobster guys always fill ours ><><

niko
10-08-2017, 08:37 AM
3.50 live

Guppy
10-08-2017, 08:50 AM
I meant Tautog .. sea bass . the pots & lobster guys always fill ours ><><

That's what I ment, I believe the BSB pot guys can keek x amount of tog from those pots even though there is no tog pots allowed.... Go figure
I'll look it up

Niko's the tog master...:cool:

Clammer
10-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Niko I,m hoping for $4.00 plus when it opens ........ now we also have a dead wait if over 6#

niko
10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Why dead over 6? What's the idea behind that?

beamie
10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Too big for the wok.

MAKAI
10-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Trolled live macs off the back for hours and hours the other day, no love. Thank God for all the curious Humpbacks swimming around us to pass the time.

Clammer
10-08-2017, 01:02 PM
they said they can,t move the large ones [alive ] I brought in a 9# the 1st day last year & they threw it in a dead box ><><

Rockfish9
10-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Spent 12 hours swimming Mac's the length of plum island. .then moved into the river as far as 4 miles. ..not...a single chase....Gannetts were diving at day break but it was all small stuff pushing the bait...I saw several boats...most were fly fishing or tossing small tins ..to the small stuff...my sights were set on something larger...I pulled the boat last night...game over for me until ice fishing. ..

wdmso
10-09-2017, 09:50 AM
they are still here and still thick as is the bait put a friend on his 1st Albie ... so much bait the bite is shorten the fill up faster .. again they like the white Albie Snax

Higgie
10-09-2017, 10:39 AM
That's awesome Wayne!! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Nothing better than putting friends on fish on top of it

Moses
10-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Large bluefish are wreaking havoc on peanut bunker in CC Bay. All fish were between 15-18lbs, puking up peanut bunker. 15'-35' of water. Had doubles & triples often for a few consecutive hours. Before this outing, I could count the bluefish I caught this season on one hand. This was last weekend.

All topwater, strikes were ferocious!!

johnny ducketts
10-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Al's still here, popped one at lunch time.

numbskull
10-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Dawn to noon down the islands.
Small fish on peanuts......widely scattered.
Saw nothing of consequence.

fish raptor
10-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Large bluefish are wreaking havoc on peanut bunker in CC Bay. All fish were between 15-18lbs, puking up peanut bunker. 15'-35' of water. Had doubles & triples often for a few consecutive hours. Before this outing, I could count the bluefish I caught this season on one hand. This was last weekend.

Nice haul of Blues.... love the size.

Did you catch them all on topwater lures ?

Guppy
10-11-2017, 08:01 PM
12,900 views,,,,

Rmarsh
10-12-2017, 05:03 AM
12,900 views,,,,
Credit to Piemma for starting the thread and those who chimed in to keep it going. Been a real good one....no bitchin, bragging, spot burning etc. Just fishing . I don't chase reports ...just enjoy reading them.

Got Stripers
10-12-2017, 07:36 AM

I don't even remember what year, but I"m guessing mid to late 80's, there was a huge peanut bunker year, inside Boston early was insane and then from Cohasset to Plymouth nonstop on massive blues. I remember getting just outside Scituate harbor one Saturday with my friend Pete and as far as you could see in any direction there were birds working. We caught gator blues until are arms couldn't take it anymore and all I can say is, that god I was pouring my own plastic because I think I went through all on board that day. Oddly you don't loose a lot of jigs to the initial strike, but if you get greedy and don't retie byby.

Slipknot
10-12-2017, 08:55 AM
12,900 views,,,,

:scratch:

reports = not just for the lazy fishermen anymore

I would rather subscribe to the Bill Belichick way of tell them nothing
but you know how it goes, we catch fish and should be able to talk about it. All my fish are caught in the canal

bloocrab
10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Here's my report....
Haven't wet a line since late June (which was incredibly memorable for all involved :faga: ).....heck, I even got to see Clammer and Dennis out on the water, that was the icing on the cake (and Mike didn't even try ramming me with his boat!)
And as much as I'd like to say I'm happy for those who I've read had an incredible summer and now fall, I'm extremely jealous.
This will definitely go down in the books as my least fished year (after puberty :tooth:)
It was very hard forfeiting my responsibilities after getting numerous phone calls and texts, even during the Canal Stripa-palooza....but priorities take precedence, yep, even over social media bullchit-
A heavy albie presence has also weighed heavily on my mind. I even turned down a few invites from my brother from another mother (Goose)...:(

Back on point, I do heavily agree ....this thread has been and continues to be entertaining....especially for those of us who haven't been able to get out there. Something we should definitely do annually. NO SPOTS...just reports and tactics that worked when others weren't.

This is the kind of thread that actually reminds me.. that this IS an actual fishing website.

Tight lines everyone....haven't wrapped up the boat yet and still have my seal-skivvies hanging and ready, so maybe I can contribute some in the next few weeks??

Clammer
10-12-2017, 02:47 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOO ya wife wants another #^&#^&#^&#^&in house ............its all on you Blue ><>< love ya my friend ><><><
:humpty::humpty::humpty::humpty::humpty:

fishgolf
10-15-2017, 02:52 PM
South Shore looked pretty dead today. No birds around in the Bay or out front... sigh...

wdmso
10-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Went out this morning (unexpected ) woke up to no wind and a forecast calling for the wind to show up later .. threw the boat on the truck and was on Albies 2 miles from the ramp .. Seems the same pattern as last week small feeds or just 2 or 3 fish rolling picked up 1 fish casting near a boil nice 10Lbr again on a White Albie snax

numbskull
10-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Plenty of action with small bass and albies yesterday. Same water today (once the wind swung SW) was near barren (a few small bass via reaction hits on a MS). I blame atmospheric pressure changes when things turn on and off like this. Still not seeing any sizable bass, however. On the plus side all the derby traffic is finally gone. What a relief.

niko
10-15-2017, 06:02 PM
giant albie

zimmy
10-15-2017, 06:38 PM
giant albie
Awesome.

chefchris401
10-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Albies still all over my spots, crazy never caught em this late

Had a great night on ultra light tackle in the back bay flats throwing weightless soft plastics to 22-26” fish in the dark, fish were ultra aggressive

Had a close encounter with a 7-8 foot shark the other day, during the day while albie fishing, which was insane.

Guppy
10-15-2017, 07:47 PM
giant albie

Again today? Yikes

bobber
10-15-2017, 09:46 PM
giant albie

I gotta get back up there for those fish. nice work- what was the length?

saltyric
10-16-2017, 05:48 AM
giant albie

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobber
10-18-2017, 04:51 PM
bounced around to a few locations in LIS mostly looking for signs of life. never found any bodies of fish (bass, blues, albies) but caught about 30 blackfish- only 2 "keepers" though. we released a few that were less than 1/2" shy of the limit, and then got spot-checked by the DEP officer at the dock.....

fishgolf
10-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Fished SoCo beaches this morning from first light until 8:30 west of west wall.
Not a bump. Pretty big surf too. Ran into another guy from Mass who said "should have been at the Canal yesterday..." eesh.

johnny ducketts
10-20-2017, 01:35 PM
On my way to work this morning, ran into my first big beach blitz. I was the only one fishing and it was bass to 26" pretty much every cast. What an awesome experience, watching them crush bait right at the shoreline.

Guppy
10-20-2017, 06:19 PM
On my way to work this morning, ran into my first big beach blitz. I was the only one fishing and it was bass to 26" pretty much every cast. What an awesome experience, watching them crush bait right at the shoreline.

Same thing where I launched this morning, acres and acres of bait and bass, the beach and the whole bay I was in was boiling...
October, got to luv it
There were some bigger fish but couldn't connect on them

FishermanTim
10-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Hit the canal last night for one last trip.
A couple of bumps, a tail tug but no fish.

Contrary to other reports I believe the canal is pretty much a waste of my time. After fishing various times this season, I have not had as bad a year in quite some time. Yeah I caught a few fish, but nothing worth keeping or considering.
I think that the fish may be heading around the cape and not thru the canal anymore. Sure they will charge in when chasing bait, but they probably aren't hanging around as they used to.

My last three outings showed promise as I found lots and lots of bait mulling around the shoreline. Unfortunately they were the ONLY fish in the area all three times.
Typically when bait is that plentiful you would at least have schoolies pounding the shores. NADA, nil, ZILCH!

Thankfully my freshwater excursions have been much more productive with catching big bass....

zimmy
10-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Been watching a spot on the way home from work for about three weeks. Dead end with abundant peanuts with no where to go when the predators come around. Nothing on them that I saw until today. All the 16 to 20 inch bass one could want on a small super strike popper. Happy I am not a peanut bunker. That isn't an easy life.

hardcore from shore
10-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Love this thread. Thanks Piemma. Trying to decide on trip to RI to fish South County within next week. I live 3 miles from Bell Road near CC Canal. Been picking up fish ( 1st hour of sunlight) but almost all shorts (mostly east end). One legal 28 incher on Saturday. Last Wednesday did a 3 AM to 630 hit em hard trip on right tides looking for large. Not a bump. At 630 sun coming up and shorts everywhere. Fewer shorts this week running about 18 to 22 inches.
Trout fishing or RI trip needed, but I am stubborn so may hit canal a bit longer hoping fish come through as in addition to peanuts I have seen some macs and some red/brown squid about 8 inches long.
Hard not to fish when it is 60 degrees pre dawn, when in past years I have fished predawn in October at 37 degrees.
Bill

striprman
10-25-2017, 11:33 AM
with all the nice weather, I do believe the fish will be around until mid November. I certainly believe that there will be many more "chances" there , still, for a big one , maybe :) At least a few more weeks :)

go to the run/crib at morning slack high and wait a bit :)

SAUERKRAUT
10-25-2017, 12:49 PM
I have had a spy posted up on the Canal for the past 10+ days. My brother surf rat from NJ. He has posted only micros and dinks so far. Amazing stretch of non fishing, IMO.

We did a banzai trip to Cutty 4 nights ago. We fished a great tide and conditions. Two rods; 3.5 hours. Never hooked up anything beyond an occasional 15-20" micro bass. Again, an amazing stretch of non fishing IMO. I have been other places also... just awful. Thank you again to the commercial fishing industry.

JFigliuolo
10-25-2017, 02:12 PM
I have had a spy posted up on the Canal for the past 10+ days. My brother surf rat from NJ. He has posted only micros and dinks so far. Amazing stretch of non fishing, IMO.

We did a banzai trip to Cutty 4 nights ago. We fished a great tide and conditions. Two rods; 3.5 hours. Never hooked up anything beyond an occasional 15-20" micro bass. Again, an amazing stretch of non fishing IMO. I have been other places also... just awful. Thank you again to the commercial fishing industry.

I DO NOT want to ruin a great thread!!! Bu there is PLENTY of blame to spread around... I'm not in love with comm bass fishing. But I see plenty rec's killing too... both within and outside of the reg's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPupWjvPLpU

numbskull
10-25-2017, 02:38 PM
The problem is that there is a strong commercial bias to management of the resource. And by commercial I include the charter boat fishery. Both groups, commercial and charter industry, push for harvest at maximum sustainable yield. This ensures the quality of the fishery is way less than it would be otherwise (just witness the rapid final depletion of the remaining large fish now that sustainability is not a concern following several decent year classes).

It is absolutely true that non-charter recreational fishermen could and likely would abuse the resource if they were able. Just witnessing the carnage at the canal this year proves that. HOWEVER, the canal this year is an exception as most recreational fishermen lack the expertise, desire (sans a selling option) to put a serious dent in the fishery if monetary gain was not a motivating factor.