View Full Version : See MASS EPOs busted

JohnR
06-29-2017, 06:49 PM
See MASS EPOs busted someone at the Canal with 3 fish in their truck?? And fishing for more? Lemme guess, commercial?

chefchris401
06-29-2017, 06:56 PM
John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

I'm sure a lot of guys know who it was that got caught.

The mass epos are working hard this year, and doing a great job, more than half a dozen bust already and I'm sure there's more that haven't been posted on FB yet
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
06-29-2017, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=chefchris401;1124327]John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

Who was it ???

t.orlando
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Too bad this is the only time of the year they make a presence. They could issue citations all day everyday in a few canal locations year after year.

Thumper
06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Sounds like lights out for someone...

fishbones
06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Sounds like lights out for someone...

I see what you did there.

DZ
06-30-2017, 06:56 AM
What's the bag limit for commercial in Mass? 3 seems very low. I can remember boats loading up with way more than 3 - RI it's 5.

striperswiper75
06-30-2017, 07:48 AM
I am glad to see the enforcement has been out in MA. Almost no visible enforcement in CT; even though they are severely understaffed. The many facebook posts that I have seen on the topic have given the inference that this type of activity is fairly regular and borderline accepted amongst some groups; note that I said inference.
Hopefully this guy will have his commercial license pulled and he won't be out there the remainder of the season.

JohnR
06-30-2017, 07:49 AM
John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

The mass epos are working hard this year, and doing a great job, more than half a dozen bust already and I'm sure there's more that haven't been posted on FB yet

I know there was a sheeit show, too busy working to JohnnyDrama. Though I did get his name second hand it was not officially released anywhere. Does he have a comm license?

Too bad this is the only time of the year they make a presence. They could issue citations all day everyday in a few canal locations year after year.

Agree

What's the bag limit for commercial in Mass? 3 seems very low. I can remember boats loading up with way more than 3 - RI it's 5.

2 Fish limit from Shore for mass comm, 15 for boat.

DZ
06-30-2017, 08:14 AM
2 Fish limit from Shore for mass comm, 15 for boat.

I'm the last one to approve of an indiscriminate comm fishery but Wow - in this day and age that's blatant discrimination upon a user group. I know we have some members that are shore commercials. Wonder how they feel?

Slipknot
06-30-2017, 08:27 AM
I'm the last one to approve of an indiscriminate comm fishery but Wow - in this day and age that's blatant discrimination upon a user group. I know we have some members that are shore commercials. Wonder how they feel?

I am not a Comm guy but I agree that it is plain discrimination and really unfair. I think the reason this is the way it is is laziness and them going after low hanging fruit. If fins are clipped, why can't a shore guy get the same quota? Sounds to me like one step closer to shutting it all down.

JohnR
06-30-2017, 08:31 AM
I agree, not a comm fisher but thought that was unfair to the shore R/R guy

bloocrab
06-30-2017, 08:36 AM
That's the type of "unfairness" that can push an honest man over to the dark side.....just sayin'

Sea Dangles
06-30-2017, 08:40 AM
That's the type of "unfairness" that can push an honest man over to the dark side.....just sayin'

Laws are laws bloo,when you decide to break them,it puts you in bad company.

albythereforyou
06-30-2017, 08:44 AM
WOW 15 to 2.

that's beyond a slap in the face, if I was a commercial shore guy who depended on that income I'd be poaching too. Absolutely no reason for that much disparity between the two quotas.

either some commercial boat guys gave the right person one nice wet sloppy bj, or they are halfway to shutting it all down, and the shore guys are first to get f#cked...

DZ
06-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Can I assume a shore comm license is less expensive? That would make the bag limit understandable.

PaulS
06-30-2017, 09:20 AM
I think he tried showing his boat comm. license which didn't fly (never mind that it was a non comm. day).

FishermanTim
06-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Can I assume a shore comm license is less expensive? That would make the bag limit understandable.

Why should there be any distinction between shore or boat comm license? It's more about the regs they have in place for limits from boat or from shore.

I wonder how many people would line up to buy a comm license to fish from shore JUST so they could catch AND keep 15 fish (if that were the case)?

No, the shore limit for rec's is 1 per person per day, while the comm's have 2 per person per day.
I believe clipping the fins is to prevent them from trying to sell them, as the shore fishing limit is specifically designed to limit catches they would keep for themselves.

The a-hole got caught trying to fill his cooler on a non-comm fishing day so he could get a jump in his sales and a lump in his pocket (that's besides his hand playing pocket pool).

Sadly, once the comm season ends so does most of the increased visibility and enforcement by the EPO's.

DZ
06-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Tim - I'm just questioning the fairness of the different bag limits between shore and boat mode. There is a finite quota and it seems that a shore comm doesn't have an equal shot at part of that quota. A shore comm with ends to meet seems to be short changed on those occasions where a good bite could result in a good pay day.

bloocrab
06-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Why should there be any distinction between shore or boat comm license? It's more about the regs they have in place for limits from boat or from shore. There shouldn't be ANY distinction....if the catch is going to market, it's going to market. Period. Anyone licensed to sell, regardless of shore or boat caught, should suffer the same regs. IMO

I wonder how many people would line up to buy a comm license to fish from shore JUST so they could catch AND keep 15 fish (if that were the case)? That makes no sense, if one person is keeping 15 Stripers from shore on a given day, he's receiving $$$ or trade at some point.

No, the shore limit for rec's is 1 per person per day, while the comm's have 2 per person per day.
I believe clipping the fins is to prevent them from trying to sell them, as the shore fishing limit is specifically designed to limit catches they would keep for themselves. ??? Clipping the fins is to prevent stockpiling them for market days. Stock Piling law as of 2015 (http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/2015-striped-bass-stockpiling-24apr15.pdf)

The a-hole got caught trying to fill his cooler on a non-comm fishing day so he could get a jump in his sales and a lump in his pocket (that's besides his hand playing pocket pool)....yep, probably.

Sadly, once the comm season ends so does most of the increased visibility and enforcement by the EPO's.

:rtfm:

Ed B
06-30-2017, 01:39 PM
It was my impression that due to the demise of other fish stocks, namely cod, Massachusetts wanted to give the commercial fisherman something else to fish for as a supplement. This was sometime in the 1990's when they established the commercial season starting in July and they had a 40 fish limit. Crazy thing was very few of those guys were even striped bass fisherman, but they became such when the stocks rebounded. Then the quota got lowered to 30, then 20, now 15, as the market gets flooded. But yes, I believe it is totally biased toward the boats, was done intentionally, and probably always will be for the foreseeable future.

buckman
06-30-2017, 04:27 PM
I would love to see the reaction if the canal were lined with guys commercial fishing and keeping 15 each 😂
I think it should be a closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now

buckman
06-30-2017, 04:28 PM
I would love to see the reaction if the canal were lined with guys commercial fishing and keeping 15 each 😂
I think it should be closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now

Slipknot
06-30-2017, 04:46 PM
I think it should be a closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now

That is something I strongly disagree with, just more of the exclusivity for user groups

If there are too many competing for too few fish, then address that issue with other solutions like a lottery or something but not just grandfather licenses only or base it on percentage of income. That is bull and a cop out

bloocrab
06-30-2017, 05:04 PM
.....Too many school teachers in it now.....

That's too funny........I was just talking to a friend who lives capeside and he was stating the exact same thing. Many teachers Comm. Fish as a supplemental summer thing.
But I do agree with Bruce, no grandfathering licenses.

Rockfish9
06-30-2017, 05:05 PM

School teachers have sold bass for the 50 years I've been bass fishing. (I'm not a teacher)

.it's a nice second/summer job.. I haven't sold more than 1 bass a year since 2004 to keep my comercial permit (in case I want to sell when I retire )current...
IMHO..comercial is comercial...doesn't matter if you fish from shore or boat....we all know comercial regulations are skewed. .the guys from shore are getting screwed...it all counts to the same quota so.we know who had the final say on that. ...all this jibbersh and one thing is clear...the law is the law...rarely are they fair.

buckman
06-30-2017, 05:46 PM
School teachers have sold bass for the 50 years I've been bass fishing. (I'm not a teacher)

.it's a nice second/summer job.. I haven't sold more than 1 bass a year since 2004 to keep my comercial permit (in case I want to sell when I retire )current...
IMHO..comercial is comercial...doesn't matter if you fish from shore or boat....we all know comercial regulations are skewed. .the guys from shore are getting screwed...it all counts to the same quota so.we know who had the final say on that. ...all this jibbersh and one thing is clear...the law is the law...rarely are they fair.

My summer school teacher ( now you understand me ) commercially fished on the side and that was several decades ago ;)
Knowing today's buttercup generation, two fish from shore is probably to protect some from witnessing the slaughter and being traumatized .

ProfessorM
06-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Shore is cheaper but this year they changed that law after people sent in their boat permits, me being one, with the intention to fish from shore so I wasted money. IMO I would say 80% of the comm. fishermen cheat in some way but in the long run it comes off the quota so the rec guy or anyone who follows the fishery it should not really matter to them. The guys that are commercial permit holders and play by the rules, a small minority IMO, should be the mad ones as it takes money out of their pockets reducing the quota faster.

Rockfish9
06-30-2017, 06:08 PM
My summer school teacher ( now you understand me ) commercially fished on the side and that was several decades ago ;)
Knowing today's buttercup generation, two fish from shore is probably to protect some from witnessing the slaughter and being traumatized .
I'm going to steal (borrow/adopt)you're buttercup quote. ..it's a good one...

ProfessorM
06-30-2017, 06:08 PM

I guess you have not fished the canal the past several years when we could keep the 15 fish and all out blitzs occurred. It was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show bloodbath, especially on non commercial days as guys ran fish back to their trucks and returned to continue the carnage along with buddies helping them out too. That has been the norm for as long as I have done it darn near 20 plus years. They will not make inroads on the cheating until they start taking licenses for cheating. The consequences are just too lackadaisical.

afterhours
06-30-2017, 07:04 PM

angler229
07-01-2017, 01:38 PM
I guess you have not fished the canal the past several years when we could keep the 15 fish and all out blitzs occurred. It was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show bloodbath, especially on non commercial days as guys ran fish back to their trucks and returned to continue the carnage along with buddies helping them out too. That has been the norm for as long as I have done it darn near 20 plus years. They will not make inroads on the cheating until they start taking licenses for cheating. The consequences are just too lackadaisical.

This is why it ended up with the 2 fish a day from shore everyone and there buddies blatantly poaching midday on non commercial days. Then boat fisherman saw it as an easy target and went after it for a quota grab.

ProfessorM
07-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Absolutely and a no show to the meeting for the shore guys didn't help either to argue their point. But with that said the boat guys are just as bad going out and loading up 4 hours before the 12 oclock start and the bring friends out on non days and ice fishing. There is plenty of blame to go all around. Just a sad situation on all fronts.

Sea Dangles
07-01-2017, 08:41 PM
If they are all reported then they all count towards the quota

ProfessorM
07-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Yes that is one good result. The whole thing has become such a zoo I barely even participate anymore. Fishing for fun is so much more enjoyable.

bobber
07-04-2017, 12:16 PM
any "floating islands" of boats chasing schools of bass around anymore??? (like the ones off Chatham a few years back.....?)

I was in the middle of a stampede a few years ago- it was hilarious and tragic at the same time. talk about a zoo

ProfessorM
07-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Yes usually PTown and Lower Cape Cod Bay are almost as bad a certain times. It is one of the reason I sold my boat just wasn't fun anymore. I would rather grab a few from shore or my tin boat in shallow if I am lucky. Way more satisfying.

piemma
07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
You guys just named a bunch of reasons Stripers should be a gamefish like Snook and Tarpon. No commercial season anywhere.

It's not so much that I have a problem with commercial. It's the money grab and the abuse it perpetuates.

Zeno
07-05-2017, 04:07 AM
My favorite statement is " If I don't cash in on it, someone else might do it "
i'll leave it at that. If you have so little ethics in life to think in those terms then nothing we say will make any difference

Justfishin'
07-05-2017, 06:56 AM
My favorite statement is " If I don't cash in on it, someone else might do it "
i'll leave it at that. If you have so little ethics in life to think in those terms then nothing we say will make any difference

You guys just named a bunch of reasons Stripers should be a gamefish like Snook and Tarpon. No commercial season anywhere.

It's not so much that I have a problem with commercial. It's the money grab and the abuse it perpetuates.

Here Here- I'm with you guys.
I have a story that shaped my opinion during the 'last' moratorium, but no time to relate now, maybe later......