Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

See MASS EPOs busted

See MASS EPOs busted someone at the Canal with 3 fish in their truck?? And fishing for more? Lemme guess, commercial?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

I'm sure a lot of guys know who it was that got caught.

The mass epos are working hard this year, and doing a great job, more than half a dozen bust already and I'm sure there's more that haven't been posted on FB yet
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=chefchris401;1124327]John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

Who was it ???
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
t.orlando

Too bad this is the only time of the year they make a presence. They could issue citations all day everyday in a few canal locations year after year.
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
Thumper

Sounds like lights out for someone...
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Sounds like lights out for someone...
I see what you did there.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
DZ

What's the bag limit for commercial in Mass? 3 seems very low. I can remember boats loading up with way more than 3 - RI it's 5.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
striperswiper75

I am glad to see the enforcement has been out in MA. Almost no visible enforcement in CT; even though they are severely understaffed. The many facebook posts that I have seen on the topic have given the inference that this type of activity is fairly regular and borderline accepted amongst some groups; note that I said inference.
Hopefully this guy will have his commercial license pulled and he won't be out there the remainder of the season.

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!
striperswiper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
John guess you missed the $h1t show on FB about it, there were a couple post with like 300-400 comments on each one.

The mass epos are working hard this year, and doing a great job, more than half a dozen bust already and I'm sure there's more that haven't been posted on FB yet
I know there was a sheeit show, too busy working to JohnnyDrama. Though I did get his name second hand it was not officially released anywhere. Does he have a comm license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.orlando View Post
Too bad this is the only time of the year they make a presence. They could issue citations all day everyday in a few canal locations year after year.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
What's the bag limit for commercial in Mass? 3 seems very low. I can remember boats loading up with way more than 3 - RI it's 5.
2 Fish limit from Shore for mass comm, 15 for boat.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

2 Fish limit from Shore for mass comm, 15 for boat.
I'm the last one to approve of an indiscriminate comm fishery but Wow - in this day and age that's blatant discrimination upon a user group. I know we have some members that are shore commercials. Wonder how they feel?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm the last one to approve of an indiscriminate comm fishery but Wow - in this day and age that's blatant discrimination upon a user group. I know we have some members that are shore commercials. Wonder how they feel?

I am not a Comm guy but I agree that it is plain discrimination and really unfair. I think the reason this is the way it is is laziness and them going after low hanging fruit. If fins are clipped, why can't a shore guy get the same quota? Sounds to me like one step closer to shutting it all down.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
JohnR

I agree, not a comm fisher but thought that was unfair to the shore R/R guy

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

That's the type of "unfairness" that can push an honest man over to the dark side.....just sayin'

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
That's the type of "unfairness" that can push an honest man over to the dark side.....just sayin'
Laws are laws bloo,when you decide to break them,it puts you in bad company.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
albythereforyou

WOW 15 to 2.

that's beyond a slap in the face, if I was a commercial shore guy who depended on that income I'd be poaching too. Absolutely no reason for that much disparity between the two quotas.

either some commercial boat guys gave the right person one nice wet sloppy bj, or they are halfway to shutting it all down, and the shore guys are first to get f#cked...
albythereforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
DZ

Can I assume a shore comm license is less expensive? That would make the bag limit understandable.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
PaulS

I think he tried showing his boat comm. license which didn't fly (never mind that it was a non comm. day).
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
FishermanTim

Quote:
Can I assume a shore comm license is less expensive? That would make the bag limit understandable.
Why should there be any distinction between shore or boat comm license? It's more about the regs they have in place for limits from boat or from shore.

I wonder how many people would line up to buy a comm license to fish from shore JUST so they could catch AND keep 15 fish (if that were the case)?

No, the shore limit for rec's is 1 per person per day, while the comm's have 2 per person per day.
I believe clipping the fins is to prevent them from trying to sell them, as the shore fishing limit is specifically designed to limit catches they would keep for themselves.

The a-hole got caught trying to fill his cooler on a non-comm fishing day so he could get a jump in his sales and a lump in his pocket (that's besides his hand playing pocket pool).

Sadly, once the comm season ends so does most of the increased visibility and enforcement by the EPO's.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
DZ

Tim - I'm just questioning the fairness of the different bag limits between shore and boat mode. There is a finite quota and it seems that a shore comm doesn't have an equal shot at part of that quota. A shore comm with ends to meet seems to be short changed on those occasions where a good bite could result in a good pay day.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 06-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #20
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Why should there be any distinction between shore or boat comm license? It's more about the regs they have in place for limits from boat or from shore. There shouldn't be ANY distinction....if the catch is going to market, it's going to market. Period. Anyone licensed to sell, regardless of shore or boat caught, should suffer the same regs. IMO

I wonder how many people would line up to buy a comm license to fish from shore JUST so they could catch AND keep 15 fish (if that were the case)? That makes no sense, if one person is keeping 15 Stripers from shore on a given day, he's receiving $$$ or trade at some point.

No, the shore limit for rec's is 1 per person per day, while the comm's have 2 per person per day.
I believe clipping the fins is to prevent them from trying to sell them, as the shore fishing limit is specifically designed to limit catches they would keep for themselves. ??? Clipping the fins is to prevent stockpiling them for market days. Stock Piling law as of 2015

The a-hole got caught trying to fill his cooler on a non-comm fishing day so he could get a jump in his sales and a lump in his pocket (that's besides his hand playing pocket pool)....yep, probably.

Sadly, once the comm season ends so does most of the increased visibility and enforcement by the EPO's.

Last edited by bloocrab; 06-30-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
Ed B

It was my impression that due to the demise of other fish stocks, namely cod, Massachusetts wanted to give the commercial fisherman something else to fish for as a supplement. This was sometime in the 1990's when they established the commercial season starting in July and they had a 40 fish limit. Crazy thing was very few of those guys were even striped bass fisherman, but they became such when the stocks rebounded. Then the quota got lowered to 30, then 20, now 15, as the market gets flooded. But yes, I believe it is totally biased toward the boats, was done intentionally, and probably always will be for the foreseeable future.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #22
buckman

I would love to see the reaction if the canal were lined with guys commercial fishing and keeping 15 each 😂
I think it should be a closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #23
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I would love to see the reaction if the canal were lined with guys commercial fishing and keeping 15 each 😂
I think it should be closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now
Old 06-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think it should be a closed to new permits . Too many school teachers in it now
That is something I strongly disagree with, just more of the exclusivity for user groups

If there are too many competing for too few fish, then address that issue with other solutions like a lottery or something but not just grandfather licenses only or base it on percentage of income. That is bull and a cop out

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
.....Too many school teachers in it now.....

That's too funny........I was just talking to a friend who lives capeside and he was stating the exact same thing. Many teachers Comm. Fish as a supplemental summer thing.
But I do agree with Bruce, no grandfathering licenses.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
Rockfish9

Quote:
School teachers have sold bass for the 50 years I've been bass fishing. (I'm not a teacher)

.it's a nice second/summer job.. I haven't sold more than 1 bass a year since 2004 to keep my comercial permit (in case I want to sell when I retire )current...
IMHO..comercial is comercial...doesn't matter if you fish from shore or boat....we all know comercial regulations are skewed. .the guys from shore are getting screwed...it all counts to the same quota so.we know who had the final say on that. ...all this jibbersh and one thing is clear...the law is the law...rarely are they fair.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #27
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
School teachers have sold bass for the 50 years I've been bass fishing. (I'm not a teacher)

.it's a nice second/summer job.. I haven't sold more than 1 bass a year since 2004 to keep my comercial permit (in case I want to sell when I retire )current...
IMHO..comercial is comercial...doesn't matter if you fish from shore or boat....we all know comercial regulations are skewed. .the guys from shore are getting screwed...it all counts to the same quota so.we know who had the final say on that. ...all this jibbersh and one thing is clear...the law is the law...rarely are they fair.
My summer school teacher ( now you understand me ) commercially fished on the side and that was several decades ago
Knowing today's buttercup generation, two fish from shore is probably to protect some from witnessing the slaughter and being traumatized .
Old 06-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #28
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Shore is cheaper but this year they changed that law after people sent in their boat permits, me being one, with the intention to fish from shore so I wasted money. IMO I would say 80% of the comm. fishermen cheat in some way but in the long run it comes off the quota so the rec guy or anyone who follows the fishery it should not really matter to them. The guys that are commercial permit holders and play by the rules, a small minority IMO, should be the mad ones as it takes money out of their pockets reducing the quota faster.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
Rockfish9

Quote:
My summer school teacher ( now you understand me ) commercially fished on the side and that was several decades ago
Knowing today's buttercup generation, two fish from shore is probably to protect some from witnessing the slaughter and being traumatized .
I'm going to steal (borrow/adopt)you're buttercup quote. ..it's a good one...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #30
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
I guess you have not fished the canal the past several years when we could keep the 15 fish and all out blitzs occurred. It was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show bloodbath, especially on non commercial days as guys ran fish back to their trucks and returned to continue the carnage along with buddies helping them out too. That has been the norm for as long as I have done it darn near 20 plus years. They will not make inroads on the cheating until they start taking licenses for cheating. The consequences are just too lackadaisical.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote