Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Powder coated t top (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=88716)

wdmso 06-23-2015 02:37 PM

Powder coated t top

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased my boat last year it has a powder coated t top
to attach the spray curtains they drilled or screwed snaps into the top and all ready you can see the corrosion bubbling the powder coating

I called sea hunt and sent the same photo . I am Looking for a replacement T top. or is this un realistic ?

I cant see how one repairs this? and last year was lite you and covered for the winter
and this is on the majority of the snaps

Guppy 06-23-2015 03:06 PM

Don't know what to tell you about that, I often wondered about powder coat,, paint on a boat don't float! :-(

I had a 3 sided done a year ago,,, told the guy no holes in alum framework at t top,, 3 bottom snaps each side into FG helm,, everywhere else bag ties and lashing,,, comes off easy for winter storage

Don't know for sure but a new one must cost tons :-(

How about removing them and re-install with a goop of 5200, may protect the rest

Boats!!!!!!

Sea Dangles 06-23-2015 03:59 PM

I have seen enough powder coated t tops to know I would not want one on my boat. As soon as it chips,it is going to falter.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

thefishingfreak 06-23-2015 04:25 PM

No way in hell are they going to "give" you a new top for That. Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum.
They will argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion issue and they would be partly correct.

wdmso 06-23-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 1075610)
No way in hell are they going to "give" you a new top for That. Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum.
They will argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion issue and they would be partly correct.

Kinda hard to argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion
when they did the install of Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum. with out any form of sealant

the boats only been on the water water 30 days total since last June

But if i dont ask for one the answer is no by default if it was 2 or 3 years old i could agree with poor maintenance but i see this as a manufactures defect.. I'll update when I get their response:jump:

JFigliuolo 06-24-2015 06:06 AM

Once you break the integrity of the powder coat all bets are off. I just re-read your post if SH drilled the holes you MIGHT have a case... MIGHT.