Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
wdmso

Powder coated t top

I purchased my boat last year it has a powder coated t top
to attach the spray curtains they drilled or screwed snaps into the top and all ready you can see the corrosion bubbling the powder coating

I called sea hunt and sent the same photo . I am Looking for a replacement T top. or is this un realistic ?

I cant see how one repairs this? and last year was lite you and covered for the winter
and this is on the majority of the snaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap.jpg (53.8 KB, 17 views)
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Don't know what to tell you about that, I often wondered about powder coat,, paint on a boat don't float! :-(

I had a 3 sided done a year ago,,, told the guy no holes in alum framework at t top,, 3 bottom snaps each side into FG helm,, everywhere else bag ties and lashing,,, comes off easy for winter storage

Don't know for sure but a new one must cost tons :-(

How about removing them and re-install with a goop of 5200, may protect the rest

Boats!!!!!!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Sea Dangles

I have seen enough powder coated t tops to know I would not want one on my boat. As soon as it chips,it is going to falter.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

No way in hell are they going to "give" you a new top for That. Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum.
They will argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion issue and they would be partly correct.
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
wdmso

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
No way in hell are they going to "give" you a new top for That. Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum.
They will argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion issue and they would be partly correct.
Kinda hard to argue maintenance, salt-water corrosion
when they did the install of Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Typical of stainless screw put thru aluminum. with out any form of sealant

the boats only been on the water water 30 days total since last June

But if i dont ask for one the answer is no by default if it was 2 or 3 years old i could agree with poor maintenance but i see this as a manufactures defect.. I'll update when I get their response
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
JFigliuolo

Once you break the integrity of the powder coat all bets are off. I just re-read your post if SH drilled the holes you MIGHT have a case... MIGHT.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote