View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

OK,
I don't have a lot of time right now to go through and debate point by point. I grabbed some of the lines from the article you posted Buckman, and bolded a few that directly relate to jobs. I agree that there is some crap in here, but there is a lot of good as well.

A main goal of education spending in the stimulus bill is to help keep teachers on the job. Nearly 600,000 jobs in elementary and secondary schools could be eliminated by state budget cuts over the next three years, according to a study released this past week by the University of Washington. Fewer teachers means higher class sizes, something that districts are scrambling to prevent.

Highways repaved for the first time in decades. Century-old waterlines dug up and replaced with new pipes. Aging bridges, stressed under the weight of today's SUVs, reinforced with fresh steel and concrete.

But the $90 billion is a mere down payment on what's needed to repair and improve the country's physical backbone. And not all economists agree it's an effective way to add jobs in the long term, or stimulate the economy. OK, I agree that long-term it may not be a solution, but someone will have to do this work, right?

The package includes $20 billion aimed at "green" jobs to make wind turbines, solar panels and improve energy efficiency in schools and federal buildings. It includes $6 billion in loan guarantees for renewable energy projects as well as tax breaks or direct grants covering 30 percent of wind and solar energy investments. Another $5 billion is marked to help low-income homeowners make energy improvements. I am a huge proponent of this. Who wouldn't be. Even if you don't believe in the negative impacts of carbon emissions, by creating our own energy we are decreasing the amount of foreign oil we need, which improves national security and has other environmental benefits, namely, less oil, coal and nat'l gas being removed from the ground and transported

The package includes $9.2 billion for environmental projects at the Interior Department and the Environmental Protection Agency. The money would be used to shutter abandoned mines on public lands, to help local governments protect drinking water supplies, and to erect energy-efficient visitor centers at wildlife refuges and national parks.

The Interior Department estimates that its portion of the work would generate about 100,000 jobs over the next two years.

The compromise bill doles out more than $3.7 billion for police programs, much of which is set aside for hiring new officers.

An additional $1 billion is set aside to hire local police under the Community Oriented Policing Services program. The program, known as COPS grants, paid the salaries of many local police officers and was a "modest contributor" to the decline in crime in the 1990s, according to a 2005 government oversight report. Both programs had all been eliminated during the Bush administration.

I took a few minutes to do this, to ask YOU guys a question.

IF this stimulus plan is not the answer, what is? How do you think we should go about turning around the economy and creating jobs, locally and federally?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"