View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I wish the BLM movement and the politicians and media that pander to it would work on the big issue facing Black Youths in America, being killed by other black youths. So while 2% of the death rate of violent crime is caused my law enforcement (some justified after trial, some not justified after trial), it gets 90% of the coverage and pressure. If that same pressure and coverage was placed on the highest cause, black on black murder, could we really, really make advancement on saving these kid's lives?

These kids do not have much of a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think the difference is that those ~2% killed by police have a much far reaching emotional impact. People generally assume gang members will kill each other, but if you don't feel you can trust the police where do you turn.
Spence, I think in an unintentionally round about way you are confirming JohnR's contention rather than coming to a different conclusion.

I don't think John would disagree with you that the 2% killed by police have a much farther reaching emotional impact. I think he is saying that is so because politicians pander to "activists" with an agenda (like the BLM movement), and the media pay 90% of their attention to that 2% more than to the 98% not killed by police but mostly by black on black. So he asks "If that same pressure and coverage was placed on the highest cause, black on black murder, could we really, really make advancement on saving these kid's lives?"

It seems logical to me that if politicians all the way up to the President and the DOJ, as well as black activists of all sorts along with the media hyper-attention can create a far reaching emotional impact by asserting pressure and attention on the 2% of white cop killing of black victims (much of it "justified"), then the same folks could create similar or even farther reaching emotional impact for the other far, far, larger percent of black on black murder by focusing likewise attention to it. And by doing so, it could lead to a greater chance that either type of black deaths could be minimized as JohnR suggests.