View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #97
Chesapeake Bill

Scott,

I think he's a lunatic. I suspect he fishes with as much passion as he writes on this board.

NC is one of four states that does not tax federal retirements. Much of the growth in that state has been retirees moving there so they can experience reduced taxes. As far as wages, outside of RTP workers do not make much. Look at the jobs that are offered on Monster and compare the salaries.

Anyway, you focused on one minute point rather than discuss the value (if you can call it that) that unions bring to a region. Don't get me wrong. I am not defending them. Merely pointing out how the economy changes as a result of their actions, often to the good of the citizens who are not represented (also often to the detriment especially when the jobs go offshore as in textiles).

Also, as a 14th generation dutchman who can trace his lineage to the 1640's in the Hudson Valley (and who also grew up just a stone's throw from Lancaster County) if you want to know about the "Penn's Woods Germans" I'd be happy to discuss. I agree that the history lesson is at best amusing.