View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
late Senator McCain Put climate action in simple terms (i am paraphrasing) his basic premise was

if we build renewables we reduce emissions increase gas mileage increase energy efficiency in all areas home business clean our air

and Climate change doesn't happen as expected what harm have we done? compared to doing nothing .....

its a much different stance than todays GOP denial its man made or that some how it will destroy the economy..

I dont hear Jim talking about those predictions which haven't happened at all

oil and gas extraction employment has increased 16 percent since 2009, correlating directly with the shale revolution that has taken place during that time. By comparison, DOE estimated that 2,989,844 Americans were directly employed by the fossil fuel industry

According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), renewable energy employment alone (excluding efficiency) grew by nearly 18 percent between Q2 2015 and Q1 2016. The agency reports that 3,384,834 Americans were directly employed by the clean energy industry

Coal employment averaged 6,550 in Kentucky in the first quarter of 2017 when Trump was sworn in, according to the state Energy and Environment Cabinet.

The estimated average in the July-through-September quarter this year was 6,381,

Trump's U.S. Coal Consumption Is Less Than Obama's
"if we build renewables we reduce emissions increase gas mileage increase energy efficiency in all areas home business clean our air"

I agree 100% with that sentence.

"and Climate change doesn't happen as expected"

That is a "maybe".

"harm have we done?"

well, for one, where did we talk about the cost of switching to renewable energy? Hybrid cars are insanely expensive. Geothermal systems in homes are insanely expensive. If we mandate those things, you think that has no impact on the middle class, or on business?

And then, where do we get all the electricity needed? because liberals are opposed to nuclear plants which produce massive amounts of dirt cheap electricity. Do we all spend all day, rubbing balloons on our heads to power all these batteries?

"I dont hear Jim talking about those predictions which haven't happened at all "

I have no idea what that sentence means, no idea.

"DOE estimated that 2,989,844 Americans were directly employed by the fossil fuel industry

Many of whom will be disrupted by switching to green energy.

The switch is coming, it will be a good change, and we should be investing in it. And we are.

I believe in climate change. I'm not a zealot or a disciple.