Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

CCB Giant Pikie question ?

finally started making a couple ,, Does anyone have weighting and locations ,,thanks .. Pikie is the 11" ccb

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Jigman

11" is that the jointed

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Yes ... jointed jiggy .. I mean ccb jointed giant pikie ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
finally started making a couple ,, Does anyone have weighting and locations ,,thanks .. Pikie is the 11" ccb
WTF, your bandsaw broken? If you can wait 24 hours I think I can get you what you want, and the info for a BM giant pikie as well.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Flaptail

Here's some jointed giants. top one is hahn, second from top is ccbco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jan1108 001.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	25185  

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Jigman

On the giant jointed that I have, the lead is in the back part of the front section. Put in just below center at the join. Rockfish9 had some comments on these a while back. Might search for that. Some good stuff Basically, you can place the lead in the back part of the front section, or do two shots: one around the chin and one around the back part of the front section. Each will give you a slightly different action. I chose two shots for mine, 3 1/2 oz, though a little shorter than the CCBC ones.

Name:	jm_jointedgiant.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	25187

I also used Rockfish's method of doubling the front wire section to get a tighter join. I tried it this way and just doing a tail wrap on the front. The former gave me a better action.

Jigman
Old 01-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
numbskull

OK, OK, DON'T DO IT, EDDY!!!!!!
1/4 x 1.5 through wire in the tail
1/4 x 1.75 solid in the gut
Phew!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	creekchubgiantjointed.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	25190  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman View Post
I also used Rockfish's method of doubling the front wire section to get a tighter join. I tried it this way and just doing a tail wrap on the front. The former gave me a better action.

Jigman
Please explain, doubling the front wire. Me no understand
That is a lot of lead George. Way more than I would of ever thought.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Now I see the doubling of the wire in the front of the back half . Is that what you mean?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Now I see the doubling of the wire in the front of the back half . Is that what you mean?
Paul, you squish the loop flat in a vise, pass it through the plug, then drive it open again with a punch through the loop and into a hole in a block of wood.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Flaptail

Smile

Quote:
Please explain, doubling the front wire. Me no understand
That is a lot of lead George. Way more than I would of ever thought.
Paul, Instead of a loop formed at the front, you measure the length of the front part of the plug, make the front loop and at the end ( which in this case would be the joint) instead of a tail loop bend the wire back on itself (double up) so that when passed through the body you get the stub of the double wire sticking out 3/8 of an inch or so then you take a nail set and work it in the doubled between the doubled up wire then with a few taps of a hammer the nail set opens it up forming a loop and securing the assembly in place. It's much neater than a tail wrap but a little more work.

Why even try.........
Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

What ???????? The front section or the rear section. If the front section then you have no knots in the wire at all right??

Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Now I get it. Thanks for putting it in simpleton terms. Do you use a grommet on the back end of the front part? Much neater. I am doing a Pikie and that will work perfectly.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Flaptail

Quote:
What ???????? The front section or the rear section. If the front section then you have no knots in the wire at all right??
Regular fromed eye loop at front, close wire together at rear (doubled up) then do as instructions say.

This is how Creek chub did all thier giants.

Why even try.........
Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Why no grommet in front of rear section in x-ray.

It's not a tumor

Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Thanks George .. thats great ... CS told me few years ago /// forgot .

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
Jigman

Paul, may be these will help, along with the above descriptions.

Name:	jm_jointed.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	25194

Name:	jm_jointed_close.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	25195

Jigman
Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That's how Pikie Mike wires his jointed's

I have been wanting a giant CCBC plug for years just never got around to it, winch wouldn't get me one
guess I'll hit ebay

Paul, I'll show you how it's done.
I'll call you tom., I need to start your stuff before I get swamped.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #19
Backbeach Jake

Numby, thanks!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thank you all. Aways wondered why they used screws on the lip. I would think that is the reason for using the screws to hold the lip on, in case you don't figure out the length of the wire perfectly and the loop you open up in the back half of the front part doesn't get tight enough to pull the lip tight against the plug. Allows a little wiggle room and you don't end up with a loose lip. Maybe?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I think all the ccb pikies/ surfsters have the lips either double screwed on the large or one single screw on the small .
I'd say they totally finished the plug and slid the lip in loose at the end ..Sure as fish are caught and wire is stretched lip would loosen if not screwed ...now you could just epoxy them in ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
Rockfish9

Quote:
Now I get it. Thanks for putting it in simpleton terms. Do you use a grommet on the back end of the front part? Much neater. I am doing a Pikie and that will work perfectly.
Paul, take a look at the joint on the plug you got from me from the yankee swap, actualy, that one didnt come out as good as most...

Put your wire through rhw plug, measure 3/8" from body and mark with a sharpie, cut the tag end so that is it is the same length as the tag end in the preformed loop.... the mark will be the center of the loop, I like to preform the loop first then squeeze it shut, but ONLY ENOUGH TO PASS IT THROUGH THE SWIVEL,the wire must be of an anealed nature ot it will break when you try to open it back up.

now insert the wire into the plug, the double wire goes through a #1 swivel with no problem, I also like to use a small washer at the joint ( again see the plug I made) now go to a block of wood, using an awl, push it into the wire to spread the joint, I then place it onto a block of wood and hit =the awl with a hammer to start the process, I then move it to another section on the block that I have drilled out(3/16") and drive the awl in as far as needed to form a neat loop... by using an awl, the taper make the process eaiser and alows tyou to make the lopp as large as small as you want...

I'm actualy working on several jointed plugs now, I'll take soem photos tonight and post the process of how I do it...
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Ryan560

Did ccb make a 10 1/2" jointed pikie? Or would that be the 11" bait mentioned in this thread?
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
numbskull

I think they only made the one (#800).

There is a short fat jointed plug called the jointed striper pikie 6800 and its straight version the striper pikie 6900 (some of which used a surfster lip). There is the giant straight pikie 6000 which is a longer version of the striper pikie. All three are very fat plugs unlike the giant jointed.

Here are the 6800, 6000, and 800

Although people talk about using the giant jointed plug on the outer cape I don't think many guys fished them much. They are a pain to carry, hard to cast without conventional stuff, and their action is under-whelming (although the pull in surf might perk them up). I built some versions of the BM/Pichney clone but have not done well with them. Here are some of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	giant pikies.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	54071   Click image for larger version

Name:	giantpikies.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	54072  
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #25
Ryan560

Ok cool thanks, my friend wanted me to duplicate some for him he was able to borrow a giant jointed that measures 10 1/2" I wasn't sure if it used the same 1/4" diameter tailweights as the one mentioned in this thread. I remeber reading in one of Frank's books he mentions a 12 or 13" giant jointed which had me confused.
I spun up one today out of awc, still want to try turning one out of wrc I think the white cedar will be a little overweight. The original he has weighs 3.48oz unrigged. I'll be lobbing these from a breachway using an allstar 1208 which should be able to handle the weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pikiegiantj.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	54090  
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #26
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan560 View Post
Ok cool thanks, my friend wanted me to duplicate some for him he was able to borrow a giant jointed that measures 10 1/2" I wasn't sure if it used the same 1/4" diameter tailweights as the one mentioned in this thread. I remeber reading in one of Frank's books he mentions a 12 or 13" giant jointed which had me confused.
I spun up one today out of awc, still want to try turning one out of wrc I think the white cedar will be a little overweight. The original he has weighs 3.48oz unrigged. I'll be lobbing these from a breachway using an allstar 1208 which should be able to handle the weight.
What's mis understood about the size of the giant Pikie is CCBCO measured the plug from lip to tail hook which added to the demension..

I've made quie a few of these.. and fish a fair amount of them as well... the mid plug body weight needs to be reduced... the heavy slug was put there to combat the back from humping up... I use 5/0 VMC on mine and reduce the weight... a single siwash on the tail keeps the action real... the treble tends to deaden the action..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote