Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,626
Blog Entries: 1
H-Bomb

5.8-6.2 mag quake at NORK nuke site. Building ins China and Russia shaking.

Worst case scenario:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...-in-emp-strike

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,703
What are you worried about they can't hit Boston.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,626
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What are you worried about they can't hit Boston.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Well, if they could put that on their HS14 they could hit Boston, and NY (and NWC NPT).

Norks have been successful with a lot of their tests lately.

Out on the edge of possible - hence the worst case scenario -is the EMP.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,140
Even more disturbing is seeing how far he has gone without either Russia or China taking a stand. Unless one of them is in bed with him.... One would think that Putin values his vast bank account more than any trust or alliance with Kim. And I am a little surprised that China's US educated president hasn't minimized Kim's risk to his country's growth position in the world economy. Both of those leaders have much more to lose than Kim does if he lights off a live one.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What are you worried about they can't hit Boston.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
how are things in Canada?
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,215
Who says you have to launch it from NK? Possibilities are endless for NK to farm it out to other bad actors. Hell, it could be possible to place it on a Merchant ship bound for a US port. Something that big doesn't even need to be detonated close - just downwind toward the US. A terrorists dream. This guy needs to be taken out.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Who says you have to launch it from NK? Possibilities are endless for NK to farm it out to other bad actors. Hell, it could be possible to place it on a Merchant ship bound for a US port. Something that big doesn't even need to be detonated close - just downwind toward the US. A terrorists dream. This guy needs to be taken out.

Thats pure fear mongering there is no intel about a 1st strike weapon ,, your SCENARIO applies more to Pakistan
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
Trump doesn't have the balls to actually get militarily involved here. He will talk this up and push things to the brink but it's all talk. It reminds me of Obamas red line in the sand regarding Syria
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
And if he did get us involved, we will be looking at WWIII.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,215
Looks like we will be potentially cutting off all trade with any country that supports NK - China. Will isolating China work since they have financed most of our debt?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Looks like we will be potentially cutting off all trade with any country that supports NK - China. Will isolating China work since they have financed most of our debt?
It would shutdown the global economy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,626
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Who says you have to launch it from NK? Possibilities are endless for NK to farm it out to other bad actors. Hell, it could be possible to place it on a Merchant ship bound for a US port. Something that big doesn't even need to be detonated close - just downwind toward the US. A terrorists dream. This guy needs to be taken out.
They are known for sharing much of their nuke tech with Iran. Gee, almost wonder who could be financing this. In an unrelated note, glad Obama stopped Iran's nuke problem and didn't give them any money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Trump doesn't have the balls to actually get militarily involved here. He will talk this up and push things to the brink but it's all talk. It reminds me of Obamas red line in the sand regarding Syria
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I am not sure about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It would shutdown the global economy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes. And the fraying ends of global peace with it maybe.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
They are known for sharing much of their nuke tech with Iran. Gee, almost wonder who could be financing this. In an unrelated note, glad Obama stopped Iran's nuke problem and didn't give them any money.



I am not sure about this.



Yes. And the fraying ends of global peace with it maybe.
And with the fraying of global peace.... you have...... wait forrrrrrr it...........wait forrrrrrrrrrr it...........


WW3
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Fishpart
Keep The Change
iTrader: (0)
 
Fishpart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Road to Serfdom
Posts: 3,232
We could simply return to the way we handled Kim for the previous 8 years. Send him some Uranium and Physics books and tell him to go play in his room... How'd that work out for us?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
We could simply return to the way we handled Kim for the previous 8 years. Send him some Uranium and Physics books and tell him to go play in his room... How'd that work out for us?
Unless you wanted to invade and have Seoul leveled by howitzers I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do.

It will be interesting to see how China's position evolves on this. There's concern growing that the mountain they've been detonating all these bombs under could collapse and start spreading radiation into China...this wouldn't be good.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Unless you wanted to invade and have Seoul leveled by howitzers I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do.

.
well...he did lower the ocean levels and kill Bin Laden...also handled the Russians, Syrians and Iranians "brilliantly"....so NK should have been a lay up....maybe a cup o' tea with the dictator or something
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
well...he did lower the ocean levels and kill Bin Laden...also handled the Russians, Syrians and Iranians "brilliantly"....so NK should have been a lay up....maybe a cup o' tea with the dictator or something
Brilliant. I am curious to see what response you get from the Obama apologists...
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Brilliant. I am curious to see what response you get from the Obama apologists...
I heard he was on Facebook attacking Trump...which is pretty funny if you think about it....maybe Obama will fly to Florida, hold up his arms and divert the hurricane
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Brilliant. I am curious to see what response you get from the Obama apologists...
As opposed to the Trump apologists who claim NK is Obama's fault but give Trump credit from day 1 for the economy? Maybe Trump should have worked on NK earlier and it would have all been solved?

Hypocrites?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Unless you wanted to invade and have Seoul leveled by howitzers I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do.

It will be interesting to see how China's position evolves on this. There's concern growing that the mountain they've been detonating all these bombs under could collapse and start spreading radiation into China...this wouldn't be good.
"I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do. "

I "expected" Obama to do exactly what he did, i.e., zip. I "hoped" he would do what the world knows needs to be done, which is to get China to reign that maniac in.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do. "

I "expected" Obama to do exactly what he did, i.e., zip. I "hoped" he would do what the world knows needs to be done, which is to get China to reign that maniac in.

This is the issue you see North Korea as solely an American issue same with the Iran Deal but again those are not the Facts

the US has not acted unilaterally they acted with the WORLD in both of theses issues

But the rights Base are clueless and think thats whats happen under Obama he acted unilaterally and now kim has the bomb in 8 years
the truth is they were making the bomb well before Obama but again Plz dont let facts get in the way

1st test October 9, 2006, then may 2009 then feb 2013 Jan 2016 September 2016 ,September 2017
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
This is the issue you see North Korea as solely an American issue same with the Iran Deal but again those are not the Facts

the US has not acted unilaterally they acted with the WORLD in both of theses issues

But the rights Base are clueless and think thats whats happen under Obama he acted unilaterally and now kim has the bomb in 8 years
the truth is they were making the bomb well before Obama but again Plz dont let facts get in the way

1st test October 9, 2006, then may 2009 then feb 2013 Jan 2016 September 2016 ,September 2017
I don't see this as a us only issue at all. Once again, you are responding to something that no one has said. Obama was supposed to be the guy, unlike bush, who could get other countries to help us, by being nicer to them. Did the world line up to help obama with NK?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Paul, here's my issue with the left's treatment of Trump.

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.

If I was a lefty political consultant, i would be telling the DNC to spread the message that despite controlling everything, the GOP can't get a damn thing done. That's a very fair criticism (it ticks me off to no end), and it could hurt the GOP in 2018. Instead, the democrats are devoting all their time to making Trump out to be Darth Vader. Maybe it will work. We'll see.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Paul, here's my issue with the left's treatment of Trump.

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.

If I was a lefty political consultant, i would be telling the DNC to spread the message that despite controlling everything, the GOP can't get a damn thing done. That's a very fair criticism (it ticks me off to no end), and it could hurt the GOP in 2018. Instead, the democrats are devoting all their time to making Trump out to be Darth Vader. Maybe it will work. We'll see.
You could have just said... "but Obama..."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You could have just said... "but Obama..."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Here's the thing...if I am going to try and explain why I feel there is a double-standard, I kind of have to refer to the POTUS who I claim got preferential treatment.

How else would one go about demonstrating a double standard, then by comparing the way the 2 have been treated? Can you tell me how you'd do it?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #26
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Paul, here's my issue with the left's treatment of Trump.

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton. As despicable as Sharpton was (Brawley/Pagones - can name them off the top of my head) I don't view him the same as Nazis or KKK.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. I view some of his ideas as repugnant so just as you viewed Sharpton that way, others view Bannon that way. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.It's not a double standard it is the other side of the coin.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. BS - it is the same.Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.TThe diff. is Trump isn't conservative - at this point he is clay and can be molded by the last person who talks to him bf he tweets.
NM
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #27
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
NM
Yes it is a double standard. Almost no one on the left cared about rev wright or sharpton, but those same people cannot stand that a potus would associate with Steve Bannon. Textbook double standard.

Sharpton incited violence that led directly to white Americans being murdered. I don't know that Steve bannon has blood directly on his hands.

I agree that nazis and the klan are worse. But fortunately for you, trump has given you zero compelling reason to suspect he sympathizes with them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #28
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
2 wrongs have never made a right.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,626
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
2 wrongs have never made a right.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
But BU5H!tler

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #30
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
But BU5H!tler
Yeah. Exactly.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com