Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #61
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You could still CCW on campus. I saw an interview with a vet packing who said he didn't intervene because he didn't want the cops to confuse him with the killer.

So what's the point of packing if you don't use the package? Not sure, but I would guess the vet would have intervened if the killer was pointing his gun at him. Too bad, if he had the opportunity, he didn't intervene before others were being killed.

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.
Why is that nonsense? Wouldn't a gun free zone be more attractive to a mass murderer than one where most people are "packing"? And even if CCW's were legal, wouldn't a gathering of minors who probably weren't armed be more attractive to the killer than a group of adults who may well have been?
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #62
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You could still CCW on campus. I saw an interview with a vet packing who said he didn't intervene because he didn't want the cops to confuse him with the killer.

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.
Translation. I was too busy hiding behind a desk.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #63
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Why is that nonsense? Wouldn't a gun free zone be more attractive to a mass murderer than one where most people are "packing"? And even if CCW's were legal, wouldn't a gathering of minors who probably weren't armed be more attractive to the killer than a group of adults who may well have been?
I think you just answered your own question.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #64
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You could still CCW on campus. I saw an interview with a vet packing who said he didn't intervene because he didn't want the cops to confuse him with the killer.

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.
"Under state law, people in Oregon could carry concealed firearms on college campuses like the one where a gunman killed nine people and wounded several others on Thursday. However, Umpqua Community College has been established as a gun-free zone thanks to a loophole in state law that has made every third-level institution in the state almost entirely gun-free. Here’s how that works."

http://www.vocativ.com/news/236421/t...n-campus-laws/

the point is that ne're-do-well's don't give a crap about "zones"
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #65
tysdad115
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
tysdad115's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.
This certainly explains why so many mass shootings occur at gun ranges where many people have firearms. More left stupidity..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Dude where's my sneakers?
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #66
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,624
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
strange times...illegal and prescribed drugs fuel "creativity" and detach from reality..media fuels lack of regard for human life .....no love...no purpose...no predicting what one will do...
Hard to figure out, right? You can legalize pot in places but firearms should be confiscated??

You will pry this bong from my cold-dead-dorito-cheesed hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You could still CCW on campus. I saw an interview with a vet packing who said he didn't intervene because he didn't want the cops to confuse him with the killer.

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.
Yes and no, not all "Gun Free Zones" are created equal and some GFZs trump the CCW permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
Apples / Oranges. THIS guy chose the school because it was personal, not be cause he was trying for the maxim shock factor (like an elementary)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #67
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Jim. Can you pls post a.link to an article where the Dems. accused Thomas of rape. I don't recall that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You got me, it was sexual harassment they accused him of.
I answered your question. Any chance you can show me the same courtesy? You said that the black shooting victims were in a SC church, therefore being I church didn't save them. When did I ever say that nothing bad can happen to anyone when they are in church? I await your answer.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #68
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

I don't live in SD. But guess what? I am aware, and I can say with perfect validity, that violent crime is pretty close to zero there (despite the fact that guns are everywhere), and most people who live there, will tell you that religion has a lot to do with that. You are denying that, because it's not convenient to your current beliefs. That's your issue, not mine.
Please tell me when I denied that Jim. Why are you saying I denied this?
Also this statistic you made up about violent crime is close to zero...How in the world does over 2700 violent crimes equal close to zero in your mind?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #69
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,663
Jim, I didn't say that. It was seadangles. I'm way better looking.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by PaulS; 10-03-2015 at 12:50 PM..
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #70
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,431
Jim!! You know what absolutely kills me??? Look at this link for South Dakota.

Take note of the hate crime index.
What does this say about your Christian utopia called the Dakotas???

http://www.usa.com/south-dakota-stat...crime-rate.htm
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #71
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Apples / Oranges. THIS guy chose the school because it was personal, not be cause he was trying for the maxim shock factor (like an elementary)
That's exactly the point. Nearly all mass shootings have a personal connection underneath the motive. The argument that gun free zones are a lure is a myth concocted by those who want you to believe more guns is always the solution...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #72
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The argument that gun free zones are a lure is a myth concocted by those who want you to believe more guns is always the solution...
no one argued that gun free zones are "a lure"...your myth is a myth...they sure make an easy target however....the argument is that gun free zones don't seem to stop psychos with guns...and that psychos with guns can probably anticipate less resistance in a gun free zone
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com