Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,255
Political Debate Formats need changing?

IMO the Political Debate Format needs to be updated. While party debates have their place to help select the eventual candidate for each party I think they get stale. I think it would be more beneficial if say once the state primaries start that there be some inter-party debates between GOP and DEMS on the same stage. My feeling is it would be more beneficial to the independent non-affiliated voter to see a debate between all candidates for POTUS and the ideological differences between parties. Right now both parties can promise you the moon with no counterpoint mentioned. An inter-party debate would offer a unique view to the various sides of an issue and provide for a much more informed voter. Discuss.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,902
I like it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
IMO the Political Debate Format needs to be updated. While party debates have their place to help select the eventual candidate for each party I think they get stale. I think it would be more beneficial if say once the state primaries start that there be some inter-party debates between GOP and DEMS on the same stage. My feeling is it would be more beneficial to the independent non-affiliated voter to see a debate between all candidates for POTUS and the ideological differences between parties. Right now both parties can promise you the moon with no counterpoint mentioned. An inter-party debate would offer a unique view to the various sides of an issue and provide for a much more informed voter. Discuss.
I'm all for it. Maybe a lottery system, randomly pair some up in a series of debates...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,255
I found last nights DEM debate very interesting. Some good points but no counterpoints - for example when the topic of blacks being incarcerated in prison at a higher rate than whites in Wisconsin. Both candidates made it seem like the black community was getting hosed but no one mentioned how many were wrongly incarcerated. I'm sure the GOP candidates if attending would have asked how many of these incarcerations were actually innocent victims? I do give Hillary credit for calling out Sanders on just how he will pay for all the free education.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I'm all for it. Maybe a lottery system, randomly pair some up in a series of debates...
I like that .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I like that .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Or let individual candidates challenge each other. Would be great PR. Could you imagine Trump challenging Sanders to a debate? Or Hillary and Fiorina in a cat fight? The ratings would be through the roof

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,777
My only issue w/having candidates from opposing parties debate each other is I could care less about Christie debating O'Malley at this point. It would have been a waste of time.

I am in favor of more debates once the 2 parties figure out their candidates. I also think whoever is moderating the debate should have fact checkers checking the candidates statements and say the last 15 min. should be spent going back to those candidates and pointing out their comments. Also, make them come up with specific ideas/solutions instead of letting them slide by with "we're gonna have the best.... you ever saw" or "we're gonna provide free college for all".
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
My only issue w/having candidates from opposing parties debate each other is I could care less about Christie debating O'Malley at this point. It would have been a waste of time.

I am in favor of more debates once the 2 parties figure out their candidates. I also think whoever is moderating the debate should have fact checkers checking the candidates statements and say the last 15 min. should be spent going back to those candidates and pointing out their comments. Also, make them come up with specific ideas/solutions instead of letting them slide by with "we're gonna have the best.... you ever saw" or "we're gonna provide free college for all".
The moderators of the debate are the problem also . Last nights was a joke like many of the others . Hell Judy Woodruff is a known contributor to Clinton Hillary Clinton and her foundation .
What happened to honest journalism ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
DZ
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,255
I'm thinking the national party heads wouldn't be too keen on the idea? I like Paul's fact checking suggestion.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com