Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #31
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
you again seem to be missing the big picture .. are their some good company's sure but please dont try to make those companys reflect the real world ... because i dont work in the private sector dosn't mean those around me do not ... i have seen what the the private sector has done to its workers good and bad .. My wife has been at the same nursing home for 20 years as an LPN all she get is a pay check 2 weeks Vac and 5 sick days a year ... no retirement plan healthcare plan thats worthless .. its a for profit company been sold several times .. lets not get started on the food and other ares involving those who live there... I am sure reduced regulation isn't going to benefit them ( and please dont try the go some where else becasue its the industry it the same where ever you go )

in 2011, almost half of working Americans were not offered a retirement account by their employer —

Other groups with high participation rates include those covered by a union contract (82%, as opposed to 56% of those without a union contract), public sector employees (82%) and those at firms of 1,000+ employees (74%).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#6857e0602152

in 2011, almost half of working Americans were not offered a retirement account by their employer —


Its hard to play into retirement when your company's making profits
and you just got a 25 cent raise so now your at 15 bucks
"My wife has been at the same nursing home for 20 years as an LPN all she get is a pay check 2 weeks Vac and 5 sick days a year ... no retirement plan healthcare plan thats worthless "

Here's what you don't get. If her nursing home paid the LPNs and CNAs as much as a registered nurse makes at a hospital, the nursing home would be bankrupt in a month. Why? Because you cannot have more than there is.

My insurance company sells lots of professional liability policies to nursing homes. I know a lot about that business. Most of them barely break even.

If your wife wants more pay and better perks, she needs to acquire the necessary qualifications for a better position.

Being a CNA or an LPN at a nursing home is a tough job. Hard work, stress, some real responsibility, but not great pay. The great pay is for RNs and above.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-28-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #32
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
right...maybe the private sector could offer everyone unfunded retirement plans like the public sector....wait...but then who would pay for it????

here is an idea....be responsible for your own retirement
Unbelievable, isn't it? While we're at it, why can't we have the Treasury print off a million dollars for each one of us? No downside to that, right?

All these people see, is what others have, that they don't have. And it cannot be for some fair, valid reason, it can only mean that someone is screwing them. It cannot be that someone else deserves what they are getting.

If you want what someone else has, do what they did to get it. If you do the same thing and come up short, maybe you have a right to gripe. Until then, stop being envious, and do what it takes. Yes, some people are born into money, others marry into money. But many, many successful people attained success, by making great decisions and working hard.

WDMSO, if your wife wants more money and better perks, she can go to school and become an RN. Then she will have access to all the things that you'd like her to have. There's no trick to it.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-28-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #33
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
you mean almost half of those without a union contract (44%) were not offered a retirement account by their employer.

because the Union, Government, and Large corporation employees are all at 3/4 or better.

unless they don't count.

they do count just not by those who employ them


https://protectpensions.org/2016/08/...ctor-pensions/

It is one of the most well-known stories about American retirement: the decline of defined benefit pensions in the private sector. At one time, 88 percent of private sector workers who had a workplace retirement plan had a pension. That number is now 33 percent.
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #34
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Unbelievable, isn't it? While we're at it, why can't we have the Treasury print off a million dollars for each one of us? No downside to that, right?

All these people see, is what others have, that they don't have. And it cannot be for some fair, valid reason, it can only mean that someone is screwing them. It cannot be that someone else deserves what they are getting.

If you want what someone else has, do what they did to get it. If you do the same thing and come up short, maybe you have a right to gripe. Until then, stop being envious, and do what it takes. Yes, some people are born into money, others marry into money. But many, many successful people attained success, by making great decisions and working hard.

WDMSO, if your wife wants more money and better perks, she can go to school and become an RN. Then she will have access to all the things that you'd like her to have. There's no trick to it.

Again you live in the fantasy that people can just can go to school and become an RN. or something else ... and not get paid while at school assume they have no bill's and live in moms basement ...its not a one size fit all answer thats the conservative mantra to excuse business from not paying better wages ..

FYI Currently my wife makes more than an entry level RN... but thats not the point

Basically Most private industry see their employee as a liability and a reduction in Profit is unacceptable and pay and benefits adversely effect Profit and shareholders
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Again you live in the fantasy that people can just can go to school and become an RN. or something else ... and not get paid while at school assume they have no bill's and live in moms basement ...its not a one size fit all answer thats the conservative mantra to excuse business from not paying better wages ..

FYI Currently my wife makes more than an entry level RN... but thats not the point

Basically Most private industry see their employee as a liability and a reduction in Profit is unacceptable and pay and benefits adversely effect Profit and shareholders
"Again you live in the fantasy "

I don't live in any kind of fantasy world.

"that people can just can go to school and become an RN. or something else ... and not get paid while at school assume they have no bill's and live in moms basement"

Not remotely what I said. Not even close. It is very, very important to have a plan, and put it into action, while you still can (maybe before you have kids, or before you buy a house). After a certain stage in life, your options can become limited. But options are rarely eliminated. There is part time school, night school, online courses.

My wife stayed home with our kids for 10 years. That involved a major change in our standard of living when she stopped working. Now she wants to go back to school and get her master's before she goes back to work. She will do that. We have to plan for that. And we have to sacrifice accordingly. For example, my kids have never been on a plane to go on vacation, we go camping.

I live in the real world. Where things are usually (not always) possible, if you are willing to make a plan and make sacrifices.

You are the one who seems to be living in some alternate universe where rich people have made it impossible for anyone else to get ahead.

Many people (even parents who work) can go to a community college, part time, to get their RN. It's possible that your current life circumstances make that impossible, and if so, I am truly sorry for that. In my experience, most people are perfectly capable of fitting that into their lifestyle, they just don't want to make the necessary sacrifices, because it's too hard. And that is a choice on their part, not something that was denied them.

"Most private industry see their employee as a liability "

Please support that with something other than the fact that they say it every night on MSNBC.

"a reduction in Profit is unacceptable and pay and benefits adversely effect Profit and shareholders"

Pay and benefits can have an adverse impact on financial results. But it's not as simple as you think it is, otherwise no one would pay more than minimum wage. Some companies have a self-interest in attracting the best talent, and companies need to pay for that. It is not always better for companies to decrease payroll.

There are a lot of people stuck in tough situations. I would be a maniac to deny that. And there are some companies that make plenty of money, but won't share any with employees. But there are also plenty of companies that treat employees well, even generously. You need to figure out how to become desirable to those companies. You seem to think those companies are very rare. I don't believe that's true. Not in the white collar world at least.

If what you say is true, why do you think shareholders tolerate CEO pay?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #36
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
they do count just not by those who employ them


https://protectpensions.org/2016/08/...ctor-pensions/

It is one of the most well-known stories about American retirement: the decline of defined benefit pensions in the private sector. At one time, 88 percent of private sector workers who had a workplace retirement plan had a pension. That number is now 33 percent.
But now most companies are offering 401k or 401k-like retirement funds with different matching options....if you choose to invest in them. Even temp agencies are now starting to offer retirement savings options.

Since getting out of the service I have worked for 7 different private companies....they all offered 401k-type plans....and I invested in every one because I knew someday I would retire. Right now I work in the public sector and they, too, offer a 401k type plan for retirement....and I'm investing in it as well.

this has been going on for 30 years for me....so this is not something new.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #37
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
But now most companies are offering 401k or 401k-like retirement funds with different matching options....if you choose to invest in them. Even temp agencies are now starting to offer retirement savings options.

Since getting out of the service I have worked for 7 different private companies....they all offered 401k-type plans....and I invested in every one because I knew someday I would retire. Right now I work in the public sector and they, too, offer a 401k type plan for retirement....and I'm investing in it as well.

this has been going on for 30 years for me....so this is not something new.
What is new, I guess, is the departure in the private sector away from pensions, and replacing then with 401k plans. Most socialists who hate business, use this as an excuse to bash those mean businesses who did away with pensions about 25 years ago, at least here in CT.

But the pensions were not sustainable. In the private sector, you need to do away with things that are financially impossible, because there are limits to how high you can raise your prices. In the public sector, you can just keep raising taxes, because I can't choose not to pay my taxes. That's the only reason why pensions exist in the public sector, but even there, you can avoid reality only for so long.

Those pensions are about to implode, the Baby Boomers will be the straw that broke the camel's back.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com