Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Ľ Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,407
Rhode Island under attack



LOTS of bad bills proposed and a few good ones

If you care about your rights, speak up

most of these are redundant but liberal hysteria among lawmakers is rampant apparently.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 32,482
Blog Entries: 1
House Bill 7266 - Making it illegal to Challenge Someone to a Duel, hahahaha. Yes folks, you read that right. Better make sure you challenge someone to a duel prior to this passing so you can be grandfathered in....

Hey - if you can still Duel in RI, can you also request Trial by Combat for a Parking Ticket? Someone wants to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I-demand-a-Trial-by-Combat1.png
Views:	27
Size:	603.9 KB
ID:	65011  

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,266
Proposed Law Could Mean No More Free Porn In Rhode IslandState

legislators introduced a bill last week that would require residents to pay a one-time $20 fee to access pornography sites or other "offensive material" online.

easier to get a gun then a Hard on
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 32,482
Blog Entries: 1
You have to wait 7 days for a Stiffy?


~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Pete F.
Master trŚd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
You have to wait 7 days for a Stiffy?

Just wait a few years
The blue pill will be your friend
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete

"No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark"
Warsan Shire

Time will tell
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,407
You can joke about the stupid laws these idiots want passed, but in Washington state the first victim of a so called "red flag" bill has lost his constitutional rights because some snowflake was scared of him. No charges, no crime, nothing, yet he lost his guns with no due process, no chance to defend himself.
"We're from the government and we are here to help"

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
You can joke about the stupid laws these idiots want passed, but in Washington state the first victim of a so called "red flag" bill has lost his constitutional rights because some snowflake was scared of him. No charges, no crime, nothing, yet he lost his guns with no due process, no chance to defend himself.
"We're from the government and we are here to help"
Thatís exactly what Don-in-chief said he wanted, isnít it?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
You can joke about the stupid laws these idiots want passed, but in Washington state the first victim of a so called "red flag" bill has lost his constitutional rights because some snowflake was scared of him. No charges, no crime, nothing, yet he lost his guns with no due process, no chance to defend himself.
"We're from the government and we are here to help"
But many people have no issues with cops shooting and killing unarmed people

Many conservatives try to blame the person shot .. they shouldn't of moved fast , or the cops defense he thought they had a gun or they were in fear for their lives ... where is the due process in that

Apply the reasons police can shoot you . to red flag bill securing your weapons because your a possible threat or fear for others lives .. Conservatives should support the bill

but because it involves guns .. they worry about due process

Last edited by wdmso; 03-08-2018 at 07:39 AM..
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

But many people have no issues with cops shooting and killing unarmed people


scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 32,482
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
You can joke about the stupid laws these idiots want passed, but in Washington state the first victim of a so called "red flag" bill has lost his constitutional rights because some snowflake was scared of him. No charges, no crime, nothing, yet he lost his guns with no due process, no chance to defend himself.
"We're from the government and we are here to help"
There are some people that should not have access to a firearm and they needs to be some mechanism in place to remove firearms when someone is extremely dangerous with a potential to user them HOWEVER there also needs to hard and predefined limits to how this can be used and for rights to be restored. Due process must be adhered to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Thatís exactly what Don-in-chief said he wanted, isnít it?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
He talks out of both sides of his mouth like many children

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
But many people have no issues with cops shooting and killing unarmed people

Many conservatives try to blame the person shot .. they shouldn't of moved fast , or the cops defense he thought they had a gun or they were in fear for their lives ... where is the due process in that
Huh? Most cops shooting people are doing so as a result of a dangerous / illegal activity in process. Most times it is justified, unfortunate, but justified. Very few cases are determined that the LEO was at fault thought it does happen too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Apply the reasons police can shoot you . to red flag bill securing your weapons because your a possible threat or fear for others lives .. Conservatives should support the bill

but because it involves guns .. they worry about due process
Huh? Your explanations for most things aligns with this newer several decade trend of lack of logic which is why I am no longer a Dem.

You would think that important items such as rights and liberty would be more universal and held in better regard across all political spectrum - and that the difference would be how to address the faults in the system to make it better so that it applies fair opportunity to all. But no - the left is trying to bring down the system. Maybe everyone on the left does not realize it but the useful idiots will follow along.

I believe your right to speak shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to protect yourself and your family shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to prevent improper search and seizure shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to speedy and fair trial speak shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to speak shall not be infringed.

Where are the problems with these items??



Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I know

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There are some people that should not have access to a firearm and they needs to be some mechanism in place to remove firearms when someone is extremely dangerous with a potential to user them HOWEVER there also needs to hard and predefined limits to how this can be used and for rights to be restored. Due process must be adhered to.



He talks out of both sides of his mouth like many children



Huh? Most cops shooting people are doing so as a result of a dangerous / illegal activity in process. Most times it is justified, unfortunate, but justified. Very few cases are determined that the LEO was at fault thought it does happen too much.



Huh? Your explanations for most things aligns with this newer several decade trend of lack of logic which is why I am no longer a Dem.

You would think that important items such as rights and liberty would be more universal and held in better regard across all political spectrum - and that the difference would be how to address the faults in the system to make it better so that it applies fair opportunity to all. But no - the left is trying to bring down the system. Maybe everyone on the left does not realize it but the useful idiots will follow along.

I believe your right to speak shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to protect yourself and your family shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to prevent improper search and seizure shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to speedy and fair trial speak shall not be infringed.
I believe your right to speak shall not be infringed.

Where are the problems with these items??





I know
And i believe your right to sport your tin foil hat..." the left is trying to bring down the system.". a just another talking point of the rights .. talk about a big wide brush

you cant just have the change you want nor can I




Most cops shooting people are doing so as a result of a dangerous / illegal activity in process. Most times it is justified, unfortunate, but justified.

Due process ^^^^^^unfortunate, but justified.

take guns from a potential threat "Due process must be adhered to.


but red flag bill to you is outrageous you just made my point
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

And i believe your right to sport your tin foil hat...
I didn't see that one in the Bill of Rights....maybe in the living and breathing addendum...
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
But many people have no issues with cops shooting and killing unarmed people

What people have no issue? the cops? get real

Many conservatives try to blame the person shot .. they shouldn't of moved fast , or the cops defense he thought they had a gun or they were in fear for their lives ... where is the due process in that Are you serious with that question? so in a split second decision you think they are going to stop, get a warrant from a judge,
then continue? I live in reality. The due process I was referring to has to do with some simpleton calling police on a man they thought was a threat because he was armed and looked at them, now on the other hand we have if the armed guy was a Muslim, everyone would be afraid to call about their suspicious behavior for fear of being charged with harassment or some nonsense and the result is San Bernadino.


Apply the reasons police can shoot you . to red flag bill securing your weapons because your a possible threat or fear for others lives .. Conservatives should support the bill

but because it involves guns .. they worry about due process it is focused on due process whether it is a car being taken away from a drunk for the reason he doesn't use it to drive drunk and possibly kill someone. Try to think logically and blame the morality of the person breaking the law, not the possession of an object
It is obvious we don't want guns in the hands of unstable people, so if there is actual evidence present other than someone's accusation, then investigate it and allow the person to defend the red flag. Why is that so difficult.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There are some people that should not have access to a firearm and they needs to be some mechanism in place to remove firearms when someone is extremely dangerous with a potential to user them HOWEVER there also needs to hard and predefined limits to how this can be used and for rights to be restored. Due process must be adhered to.
that sure is not the case in Washington


He talks out of both sides of his mouth like many children


yep

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 32,482
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
And i believe your right to sport your tin foil hat..." the left is trying to bring down the system.". a just another talking point of the rights .. talk about a big wide brush
I don't do tinfoil hats and conspiracies so nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
you cant just have the change you want nor can I
I want a peaceful more benevolent society where people treat each other better and those same people a free to live their lives under less control of others - what do you ant?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Most cops shooting people are doing so as a result of a dangerous / illegal activity in process. Most times it is justified, unfortunate, but justified.

Due process ^^^^^^unfortunate, but justified.
Yes terrible. I wish there was away to say "everyone freeze for 2 days" while we work this out. That is the sad part of judgement calls - you have to make one in an instant that will forever have ramifications on all involved. You have been there before, right? How do you get around that??




Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
take guns from a potential threat "Due process must be adhered to.
Due Process must be adhered to for everything smartguy, in every where and way possible if circumstances allow it. That should be the default and applied evenly. We are not there yet but that is what we should be moving toward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
but red flag bill to you is outrageous you just made my point
You didn't make any point. You claim you have made a point, you may have convinced yourself you have made a point but there is not point.

As I have stated before Red Flag systems may be the way to go and may be an acceptable but necessary impact on one's rights but they have to figure out the Due Process, guarantees of it being judicious and fair, with ability to appeal. Due Process. What do you not understand about that??

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
He talks out of both sides of his mouth like many children
No, he says something that he thinks is reasonable (even if it isn't) and his handlers remind him that the NRA was a big supporter and he has to walk the statement back...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #17
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,266
The National Rifle Association has sued Florida after it passed a gun control

will they sue RI if their Red flag bill passes

I am guessing they will argue waiting 3days and being 21 s an infringement of your right to own gun..

on this they will go with an originalist view of the wording of the 2a

then change to 21st century reading of 2a in the argument on for bump stocks
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,258
The NRA will be going after the DOJ if the bump stock ban moves forward, any reason we need the bump stocks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,077
We need bump stocks for the zombie apocalypse.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
We need bump stocks for the zombie apocalypse.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I wouldn't worry, now that everybody knows what they are they can whip up a bunch in shop class.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-12-2018 at 01:39 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #21
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The National Rifle Association has sued Florida after it passed a gun control

will they sue RI if their Red flag bill passes

I am guessing they will argue waiting 3days and being 21 s an infringement of your right to own gun..

on this they will go with an originalist view of the wording of the 2a

then change to 21st century reading of 2a in the argument on for bump stocks
Originalist view is 21st century as well as any past century back to the writing of the Constitution or to any future century. It is not time dependent.

I don't know what you mean by "21st century reading". If you mean a "Progressive" reading, which has been around for a century or so, it is also not time dependent as a methodology, although it does depend on "time" for "interpretation."

An originalist would determine if the state has the constitutional power to pass the law. If the law conflicted with its citizens rights. And would write a decision based on the meaning of the words in the Constitution--a decision based on the law.

A Progressive would decide on the basis of a personal view of some higher purpose, or some socially just, or socially equitable outcome, regardless of whether the state had a written constitutional authority to pass the law or not. The Progressive then, per custom, would write a circuitous but legalistic sounding summation to make the decision appear to be in accordance with the Constitution.

You can imagine, I hope, what a century of Progressive jurisprudence has done to the constitutional order. Actually, Progressivism, at its core (if it has one), is not agreeable to the basic concept of law or principle. Law and principle are, by their nature, too confining and inelastic. Too permanent. For a Progressive, "law" is temporary regulation. It is derived from the constantly fluctuating views of the day as perceived by the majority of current Progressive social and intellectual theorists. Rather than being a 21st century view (a century is too long, too unevolved), Progressivism is the view of the moment. Social ideas can change rapidly if not grounded by some fixed principles of human nature. The notion of identities can change overnight. Genders can proliferate from two to dozens. Race can be a matter of opinion. Equality becomes actual outcome rather an interface with the law.

Opinion, rather than law or principle, guides the Progressive view. Of course, the opinion must be formed by the experts--the academics in the liberal arts, sociology, law, and journalism departments of our predominantly Progressive colleges and universities.

Progressives like to attach their view of government to some notion of evolution. But government evolution is a contradiction. Evolution is random. Government is prescribed. There is no judicial branch of evolution which defines gender or natural order, nor a legislative branch of evolution which determines the next random "accident." If there were an executive overseeing evolution, it would be a god, not an accidental, random force.

Claiming evolution as its driving force is a self-deceptive trick to justify a government's power to rule without opposition, without constraint. It is a scientifically sounding persuasion to justify the transformation of our constitutional order into a modernized version of old-fashioned authoritarianism.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com