Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
biden didn’t extort Ukraine?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No, extortion is a crime Jim.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, extortion is a crime Jim.
Well I'm not a lawyer, but I did hear Biden brag that he threatened to withhold monetary aid to Ukraine, unless they did what he wanted. I hear a lot of people saying Trump should be impeached for essentially doing the same thing. Of course, that's after years of them saying he should be impeached just because they didn't like him, so the threshold is somewhat nebulous and flexible, for what constitutes an impeachable offense. Apparently it all depends on whose ox is getting gored.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Well I'm not a lawyer, but I did hear Biden brag that he threatened to withhold monetary aid to Ukraine, unless they did what he (and the US state department, Congress, the IMF, the EU etc.) wanted. I hear a lot of people saying Trump should be impeached for essentially doing the same thing. Of course, that's after years of them saying he should be impeached just because they didn't like him, so the threshold is somewhat nebulous and flexible, for what constitutes an impeachable offense. Apparently it all depends on whose ox is getting gored.
Not the same thing at all.
Asking a foreign country to investigate an American, when there is no domestic criminal investigation into him and no predicate is a non-starter.
We have domestic law enforcement avenues for that.
If Floridaman really wanted to root out corruption there are US government processes to do that.

State Department bureau—the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL)—focused on law enforcement efforts overseas, including investigating corruption. For 2020 the Trump administration proposed cutting the budget for this by 40%, what does that say about the concern with corruption?

Alert the Ukraine ambassador, and let him deal with it
Ambassadors can’t interfere in a corruption investigation or direct that one be opened, but they can pass information along to experts at the embassy—including INL experts and Department of Justice personnel.

Request cooperation (officially)
If there were an actual U.S. government investigation into alleged criminal activity by Americans in Ukraine, or foreigners suspected of violating U.S. laws, a request for cooperation could have been made through a formal process that’s run by DOJ’s Office of International Affairs. Once MLAT requests are vetted by the DOJ, they are transmitted to a foreign country’s “central authority”—in this case, Ukraine's Ministry of Justice. If granted in the foreign country, this arrangement could allow the DOJ to obtain documents, locate people, take testimony, request searches and seizures, freeze assets and more. If the United States were actually pursuing criminal investigations into corruption in Ukraine, U.S. officials would have made a request under our MLAT for cooperation.

So was Trump's goal to investigate corruption and as Lindsey Graham suggests he is either too incompetent or too stupid to do it correctly or was his goal to get dirt on Biden and as Putin and Orban suggested to him, prove that Ukraine, not Russia was responsible for interference in the 2016 election.
Either way he is unfit for office.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Not the same thing at all.
Asking a foreign country to investigate an American, when there is no domestic criminal investigation into him and no predicate is a non-starter.
We have domestic law enforcement avenues for that.
If Floridaman really wanted to root out corruption there are US government processes to do that.

State Department bureau—the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL)—focused on law enforcement efforts overseas, including investigating corruption. For 2020 the Trump administration proposed cutting the budget for this by 40%, what does that say about the concern with corruption?

Alert the Ukraine ambassador, and let him deal with it
Ambassadors can’t interfere in a corruption investigation or direct that one be opened, but they can pass information along to experts at the embassy—including INL experts and Department of Justice personnel.

Request cooperation (officially)
If there were an actual U.S. government investigation into alleged criminal activity by Americans in Ukraine, or foreigners suspected of violating U.S. laws, a request for cooperation could have been made through a formal process that’s run by DOJ’s Office of International Affairs. Once MLAT requests are vetted by the DOJ, they are transmitted to a foreign country’s “central authority”—in this case, Ukraine's Ministry of Justice. If granted in the foreign country, this arrangement could allow the DOJ to obtain documents, locate people, take testimony, request searches and seizures, freeze assets and more. If the United States were actually pursuing criminal investigations into corruption in Ukraine, U.S. officials would have made a request under our MLAT for cooperation.

So was Trump's goal to investigate corruption and as Lindsey Graham suggests he is either too incompetent or too stupid to do it correctly or was his goal to get dirt on Biden and as Putin and Orban suggested to him, prove that Ukraine, not Russia was responsible for interference in the 2016 election.
Either way he is unfit for office.
so if state department also wanted ukraine to investigate biden, then what trump did was he OK to you? have you taken a poll of the state department to get their opinion in this?

you’ll say anything to make the case.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:

it's hot in pete's bunker
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
so if state department also wanted ukraine to investigate biden, then what trump did was he OK to you? have you taken a poll of the state department to get their opinion in this?

Let’s be clear the State Department and all these government career employees are record keepers and: if the State Department, Giuliani, Mulvaney, Perry, had information that could clear Trump - that was helpful to Trump - they would be banging on the Congressional hearing room door demanding to testify. They don’t. Their truthful testimony would (further) sink Trump.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Let’s be clear the State Department and all these government career employees are record keepers and: if the State Department, Giuliani, Mulvaney, Perry, had information that could clear Trump - that was helpful to Trump - they would be banging on the Congressional hearing room door demanding to testify. They don’t. Their truthful testimony would (further) sink Trump.
Once again, you didn't respond to what I asked, not even close.

You said that what Biden did with quid pro quo in K=Ukraine wasn't extortion, because the State Department was on board. SO using your logic (your logic, not mine), if the State Department was OK with Trump asking Ukraine to investigate Biden, that would not be extortion? just seeing if that standard only applies to Biden.

I have news for you. Trump is going to be the nominee in 2020. The house will probably impeach, there's no way the senate convicts, not based on what we know now. Zero chance. There may even be some democrats who don't vote for conviction like the coal guy Munchin from WV.

I'm not saying Trump will win. I'm saying he's going to be the nominee.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Once again, you didn't respond to what I asked, not even close.

You said that what Biden did with quid pro quo in K=Ukraine wasn't extortion, because the State Department was on board. SO using your logic (your logic, not mine), if the State Department was OK with Trump asking Ukraine to investigate Biden, that would not be extortion? just seeing if that standard only applies to Biden.

I have news for you. Trump is going to be the nominee in 2020. The house will probably impeach, there's no way the senate convicts, not based on what we know now. Zero chance. There may even be some democrats who don't vote for conviction like the coal guy Munchin from WV.

I'm not saying Trump will win. I'm saying he's going to be the nominee.
I think you are incapable of critical thought

What you asked was

My answer was

Maybe you think they would not come forth with evidence to clear Trump or that I need to actually take a poll.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
wdmso

Quote:

you cant follow the bouncing ball to well can you
Old 11-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
you cant follow the bouncing ball to well can you
Hey Einstein, read Pete's post, or have someone read it to you. Pete said that Bidens quid pro quo when he was VP wasn't extortion, because the state department was on board. So I asked if that standard also applied to Trump.

I'm sorry if that's going too fast for you, I don't know how to simplify it.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Well I'm not a lawyer, but I did hear Biden brag that he threatened to withhold monetary aid to Ukraine, unless they did what he wanted. I hear a lot of people saying Trump should be impeached for essentially doing the same thing. Of course, that's after years of them saying he should be impeached just because they didn't like him, so the threshold is somewhat nebulous and flexible, for what constitutes an impeachable offense. Apparently it all depends on whose ox is getting gored.
Not even remotely the same and I'm a bit perplexed how you can't see the difference. What Biden did was akin to a bank telling you they're not going to approve your mortgage until you get your credit score up.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not even remotely the same and I'm a bit perplexed how you can't see the difference. What Biden did was akin to a bank telling you they're not going to approve your mortgage until you get your credit score up.
Oh. Because firing a crooked prosecutor makes it more likely they could pay us back? We all know Biden and Obama were very frugal with national spending, and wanted to make sure any loans will be repaid back. Biden was just acting as a mortgage underwriter. Of course!

And Trump, as the executive branch, has no authority to inquire as to Americans engaged in corruption in other countries. Gotcha.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
Sea Dangles

Quote:
This statement is akin to being retarded. But perhaps you are simply misunderstood.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
This statement is akin to being retarded. But perhaps you are simply misunderstood.
Care to level up by making a point?