Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #31
PaulS

The idea behind herd immunity is that the strong survive, the weak will die and anyone who thinks they are vulnerable should just worry about themselves.

Republican empathy at its finest.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #32
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The idea behind herd immunity is that the strong survive, the weak will die .
I don't believe this is correct but if it makes you feel better
Old 10-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

The test looks like it's coming, and we can then see if herd immunity works.

I'll be one of those not following the lemmings off the cliff.

Dr. Fauci said in early August that we need to be at around 10,000 new infections daily by September or 'we’re going to have a really bad situation in the fall'—but now, we're at around four times that number and racking up over 700 deaths per day."

New York state has reached 1,000 infections per day for the first time since June. Boston just announced a pause in its school opening as positive COVID test rates jumped to 4 percent. Smaller states, like North Dakota, are already struggling to find enough ICU beds to care for critically ill patients.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #34
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The test looks like it's coming, and we can then see if herd immunity works.

I'll be one of those not following the lemmings off the cliff.

Dr. Fauci said in early August that we need to be at around 10,000 new infections daily by September or 'we’re going to have a really bad situation in the fall'—but now, we're at around four times that number and racking up over 700 deaths per day."

New York state has reached 1,000 infections per day for the first time since June. Boston just announced a pause in its school opening as positive COVID test rates jumped to 4 percent. Smaller states, like North Dakota, are already struggling to find enough ICU beds to care for critically ill patients.
I'm sure cuomo will handle it better this time
Old 10-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #35
Nebe

Yep. Round 2 is coming. But it’s just a hoax. Don’t let it rule your life. Yadayadayada.

3 people died at Benghazi and people loose their fu Kong minds. Trump seems to promote more deaths with this virus and the same people cheer on happily. I really don’t get it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Yep. Round 2 is coming. But it’s just a hoax.

has anyone ever thought round two wasn't coming?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
has anyone ever thought round two wasn't coming?
Besides Trump? No

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

Don’t be afraid of the virus, immigrants they’re really scary.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #39
spence

This whole thread is just stupid.

We still don't know if individuals can get re-infected with Covid. If letting a virus cull off most of our parents is a good strategy that's idiotic. Worse, it's looking like even healthy people are suffering lasting lung damage from even a moderate case. They say about 60% of the population would need to get it to think about herd immunity, that's a lot of lifetime disabilities.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This whole thread is just stupid.

We still don't know if individuals can get re-infected with Covid. If letting a virus cull off most of our parents is a good strategy that's idiotic. Worse, it's looking like even healthy people are suffering lasting lung damage from even a moderate case. They say about 60% of the population would need to get it to think about herd immunity, that's a lot of lifetime disabilities.
Did you watch the video? It supports quarantine of the vulnerable.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #41
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Did you watch the video? It supports quarantine of the vulnerable.
That probably limits fatalities but it doesn’t help with what Spence describes, plus the whole randomly throwing blood clots in healthy people thing... but WTH what’s a little lung damage among friends...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #42
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

We don’t have to concern ourselves with herd anything, Trump said there is a cure and we all know he never lies.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
That probably limits fatalities but it doesn’t help with what Spence describes, plus the whole randomly throwing blood clots in healthy people thing... but WTH what’s a little lung damage among friends...
What Spence was saying are unanswered questions or conjectured possibilities, much of which exist even with mass quarantining. As well, there are injurious health, mental, and economic side effects created by prolonged mass quarantine that may be just as, or more, harmful to present and future generations. A lot is not for sure positively known, and there are differences of opinion in the scientific community. Just pointing that out to those who say follow THE science. I'm not going to try to debate or advocate about something I don't have the knowledge to do so. But I don't want to be persuaded to vote for someone by one-sided arguments made out of partial or total ignorance. Especially if those arguments are based on biased politics.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

So when did Tweety last test negative?
Old 10-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #45
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
So when did Tweety last test negative?
Pretty clearly they are not telling because the answer is worse than not telling people. Should we assume at this point it was likely before the debate and they were assuming he would stay asymptomatic?

Bryan

Old 10-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #46
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Should we assume . . .?
The difference between "should" and "could" is huge. And picking one over the other is very telling.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #47
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
The difference between "should" and "could" is huge. And picking one over the other is very telling.
The fact there is no transparency and even the doctors won’t talk is also telling, that statement works both ways.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The fact there is no transparency and even the doctors won’t talk is also telling, that statement works both ways.
There has been a lot of transparency along with lack of it. "No" is not correct. As well, there has been a lack of transparency in the Biden campaign about what it's intentions are. Are we to assume (or is it better to say should we assume) that Biden is hiding something he does not want us to know?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Are we just gonna breeze past that trump and Giuliani and others on the re-election effort spent weeks talking about how Biden must be on drugs, only to shortly after have Trump apparently #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up on steroids while leading the country
Old 10-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #50
detbuch

Quote:
Are we just gonna breeze past that trump and Giuliani and others on the re-election effort spent weeks talking about how Biden must be on drugs, only to shortly after have Trump apparently #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up on steroids while leading the country
Did Trump and Giuliani comment on how Biden must be on medicinal steroids? And are we just going to breeze past Biden's lack of transparency?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Where are Melania, Ivanka, Jared, Bill Barr & whoever else I’m missing because they’ve been out of sight since the Rose Garden event?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #52
detbuch

Quote:
Where are Melania, Ivanka, Jared, Bill Barr & whoever else I’m missing because they’ve been out of sight since the Rose Garden event?
Only possible conclusion is they're on ventilators.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #53
Pete F.
Canceled

Tweety says!
China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #54
detbuch

Quote:
Tweety says!
China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!
This gave me a chuckle. Your so desperate to come up with more and more anti-Trump stuff that you have to drag out some old stuff and put it in the present tense.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #55
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The idea behind herd immunity is that the strong survive, the weak will die and anyone who thinks they are vulnerable should just worry about themselves.

Republican empathy at its finest.
This also was a bit desperately funny. The three scientists in the video did not specify their political party affiliation or if they had one. One is a Swede, another is a Brit, and the third is of Indian descent and either a U.S. national or just working here. The Brit did claim, when they all actually disavowed any political motivations for their mission, that she was far from any Libertarian political leaning--the odds are they are not "Conservative," certainly two are not Republican, and that they are Progressive.

And what they mean by herd immunity as well as their proposal to achieve it does not comport with what you claim is the " idea behind herd immunity". They certainly don't say "vulnerable should just worry about themselves." They specifically say that the vulnerable should be protected. The Swede admitted that the one fault of the Swedish method of no lockdown was that they didn't protect (quarantine) those in the nursing homes in which the vast majority of deaths occurred.

And the title of this thread is a direct quote from one of the scientists in the video. They distinguished the notion of herd immunity being a strategy from the supposition that it is a goal. The goal is to achieve herd immunity via their strategy for doing so, and that herd immunity is ultimately the goal of any strategy. Vaccines are a way to achieve herd immunity. Flattening curve through lockdown is a temporary way of slowing down the virus so it doesn't overwhelm the hospital system until their are mitigations and cures developed. But it is not an attempt to totally remove the virus from the face of the earth. Once it's here, it will remain as do all the other colds and flu viruses, but for which we have created mitigating protocols. And from which we will have achieved a "herd immunity" in which antibodies are naturally or artificially created so the virus will not be a pandemic threat.

But then you probably didn't watch the video. And you saw an occasion to throw in a zinger about Republican empathy.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
For every complex problem, there is a simple elegant and incorrect solution.
Congratulations on finding it
Still stands

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #57
wdmso

I know hold rallies not mandating mask or social distancing. Is all about Freedoms

Leaders lead by example ForTrumplicans his getting covid is leading by example their all f in the head
Old 10-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #58
detbuch

Quote:
Still stands
On it's head.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #59
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I know hold rallies not mandating mask or social distancing. Is all about Freedoms

Leaders lead by example ForTrumplicans his getting covid is leading by example their all f in the head
He did lead by example. He showed that, under his leadership, we are on the path to beating this thing. And if the Dems gain control, they will "inherit" what has been done to put us on that path. And they will claim the success as theirs and brand his administration as a total failure.

And if they don't eff up the economy by going back to their high tax high regulation Progressive model, they will have a record recovery and a period of American renaissance--until they reinstate their Progressive agenda.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-11-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Old 10-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #60
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
He did lead by example. He showed that, under his leadership, we are on the path to beating this thing. And if the Dems gain control, they will "inherit" what has been done to put us on that path. And they will claim the success as theirs and brand his administration as a total failure.

And if they don't eff up the economy by going back to their high tax high regulation Progressive model, they will have a record recovery and a period of American renaissance--until they reinstate their Progressive agenda.
You have a different definition of beating this virus, but that’s to be expected, so when we reach 300,000 dead with still no comprehensive government plan or consistent messaging in place, will that be “winning”?

Last edited by Got Stripers; 10-11-2020 at 02:40 PM..