Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-14-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Question Does Everyone Out There Airbrush?

Can someone give me a rundown on the process you follow in painting your plugs? Sealer, primer, paint, epoxy....in what order and a little detail on how you apply each. Do you spray, dip, airbrush? I know its probably alot of info but could use a little guidance with this one. Thanks all for your patience.

I am a beginner....what can I say?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
missing link

good question

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
canyondiver

Bigfish, ya just gave the sequence
I turn the plug and sand to a grit of 320 then I seal with Zinser clear sealer. I dip the plugs, making sure the sealer get in all the holes and the wire channel. Scuff with 400 after it is fully dried. Primer can be all sorts of stuff depoending on what you want out of the final product. Sometimes I prime with a black base coat. This is when I use the Createx Chameleon paint. This stuff shifts colors depending on the viewing angle. You can also use the Chameleon over metallic or pearl base coats. The effect is subtle but very effective. All the base coats and top coats are airbrushed. I set the Createx paints with a heatgun or a hairdryer and allow to dry for a day or two before doing my epoxy clear coats.
I put the through wire and swivels in place but wait till the plug is clear coated to put the hooks on.
There you have it!
CD
canyondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
canyondiver

Here's one
canyondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I'll try Larry ...
Ok if you are turning AYC is does not have to be sealed, so say your making swimmers ,poppers,top water stuff because AYC is very bouyant and you'd have to add a ton of lead to sink it when you could just use another wood .. but nevermnid that for now.
AYC my recipe #1.... 2 coats Zinnser stain kill, in a rattle can,,scuff in between coats with 00 plastic scrubby..#2....Paint with createx from an airbrush,,,#3..Scratch coat minwax, Helmans Spar Varnish,,just a light coat,,it yellows and browns when thick ,,sucks...Install all or some hardware NOW !!!.Finally Last but not least,#4, Epoxy systems 3,, 2 part .. clear coat or sb112,,does not like working in less than ideal conditions ,,drives me nuts ,,think I got it now .. Larry envirotex epoxy is easier and prettier but will not stand up where You fish...

OK Hardwood #1 you have to seal,,, there are a few different ways of doing that ,, You could use a minwax woodhardener or a boiled linseed oil mix (long dry time).. or a urethane mix .., #2 paint oil or laytex ,,many are playing with oil now and I am also,,in search of durabilty..#3 and #4 same as above... I have issues with some of the above and like everyone eles ,I'm always looking for something better and easier.. .. Other considerations is wifey..I want to spray smelly oil in the house but she'll shut me down fearing I'll kill her and the kids with fumes...babys,,So the stuff I want to do with oil ,,,hardwood needles,,darters ,,bottle darters .. I'll have to stockpile until the weather kicks and I can spray outside ,,.thats it.. this is oficially my longest post ,,
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
chipwood

Turn wood, drill holes for hardware and lead, do your thruwire with swivels, pour lead, prime plug, paint plug (some colors may need more than one coat), fish with plug, bang plug on rocks, hook many fish on plug, at this point your plug should be chipped up and ragged by now but it will still catch many fish, lose plug possibly, snap on other plug you made.Repeat process.
chipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Thumbs up Thanks ever so much guys......

Canyondiver....thanks for your great instruction, you also Tagger and thanks for blowing your longest post on little old me! Chipwood, thankyou also, I will be bangin' many a rock and hopefully hangin' many a fish! When I finish my first plug, I will have Slingah take a digi-photo and post for all to see.....hopefully it will be worth looking at. Figure even if it don't look good, at least the bluefish will love it.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
blackeye
Authoritaah

I'm a rattle can guy-you can do some good stuff-just gotta experiment a little. My new favorites are the metallic paints from rust o leum-u can paint up a plug however u want and fog it from a distance with the metallic gold or silver and it looks fantastic.
1. spin
2. drill and weight
3. sand and prime (2 coats) with bin primer
4. paint
5. scuff coat of spar urethane
6. wire and lip installed
7. envirotex.
if u don't have a spinner u gotta flip the envirotexed plugs every ten or so minutes for the first couple of hours untill it starts to set up-otherwise it sags like a 90 year old womans you know whatties

chris

Is it good, or is it Sofa King good?
blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Re: Does Everyone Out There Airbrush?

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFish
Does Everyone Out There Airbrush?
I like fingerpainting myself

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

You would...
I heard from a little birdie that Liam had to wrestle the finger paints away from you...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote