Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Fungus

Question Something like an Allstar 1145

I have an Allstar 1145 and I like it very much. However I am curious If there is a blank with a similar action in the 9-10 ft range that is a 1 piece.
Nothing against the Allstar as I have found their ferrules to be very good, but I still like 1 piece rods.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mark
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:07 AM   #2
Fishaddict
Hi..I'm Bob and I have an addiction

1 piece blanks

Take a look at the Batson SW1208, or the new SU1207 when it becomes available. These Batson blanks are both one piece 10 footers and have the same action and feel as the Allstar blank you like. Give Mike (Cape Cod Tackle) a call, he either has them in stock or on order.

Bob
Fishaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Marc Z
Who says there's no fish in CT

Fungus,

I'm considering this same blank, but I also want a one piece but still have not ruled it out.

What have you found to be the range on this rod and what do you normally throw with it.

Thanks,
Marc Z
Marc Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
Fishaddict

Blank just loves 2-3oz plugs, and will flat out smoke a sting silver or crippled herring in that range. Would make a great stick for plugging off Long Warf and the WH Sand Bar.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Bawana

I did the allstar BGSW 1206-2 and like it as much as a one piece.I think it casts exceptionally well at around three OZ..The allstar blanks are fantastic and the price isnt bad either.I also have the BGSW 1208 one piece and it also is a real nice blank but is for heavier weight.------F.A. How you doing with the 1209. Just about done with one of the 1089*s as a sprial set up the same as the cut down 1362-f Lami and have the seat and grips on the 1209.If you sprial wrapped it let me know how it casts before I wrap.Might go either way but this feels like one tough jig stick.also have a big itch for the allstar 15092 for the beach.I saw one of these and its a monster.
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Marc Z
Who says there's no fish in CT

Fishaddict,

Looks like you know your New Haven area spots

What can it handle on the low end?? I'm looking for this to be an all around rod.

Thanks again

Marc Z
Marc Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Fungus

MarcZ

With regard to the 1145, I have found that it is a very good all around rod. I have thrown 3/4 oz poppers with it and I have thrown a 4oz weight and a small chunk with it. It is definately very happy with plugs in the 1.5 to 3 oz range. I use this rod alot and have no complaints with it.

I would like to build a 1 piece rod that has a similar action because I do like it so much. My daughter has laid claim to this rod so I need to build a another and I would like to try something else yet stay within the same basic rod parameters.

Mark
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:20 AM   #8
Fishaddict

Like Fungus said, it will go as low as 3/4 oz. But does like the 1.5 to 3oz much better. Great popper rod. If your looking one piece, the Batson SW108 is a sweet stick and will fit that bill nicely.

Spent a good 15 years or so wadering around that Harbor. Think I must have fished every legally accessible inch of that place.
And most of the "off-limits" ones too...

Did they ever reopen a place to fish off the new Tomilson Ave Bridge?????