Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Question How Many Of You Guys Epoxy....

before you wire/after you wire your plugs and why? I wire after my epoxy is applied and dry. My tail wraps are tight enough I don't rely on the epoxy for help. I also do not epoxy in my metal lips....do you guys epoxy yours in? I just slide mine in and wire. If you want to repaint later on, how do you expect to get the lip out?

Last edited by BigFish; 02-27-2005 at 06:40 PM..

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
MAC

Larry, Don't take this the wrong way but your post sounds like a put down to those of us who epoxy after wiring. I wire my plugs complete before epoxy to hold the lip and grommets where I want them to stay. The epoxy insures this. As your wire stretches the lip " could" loosen up some and not stay lined up.

As far as repainting them, when they get chewed up that bad they are retired, takes alot though.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Diggin Jiggin

I'm putting on the epoxy last, after wiring. I think the epoxy kind of acts like a glue holding it all together. Extra strength can't hurt.

As for repainting, I do not ever plan on doing it. I'll just build more. As I continue to get better at building each batch seems to come out just a little better than that last..

Plus If a plug gets trashed by fish, I'm keeping it that way....
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

No, no, no....my apologies. That was not my intention. I just noticed that some folks do and some don't. Not a slap at anyones quality so again I apologize. All I was really looking for was reasons why some prefer to do it one way and some prefer to do it another. Thats all.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I fixed that Dave...it did sound a bit pompous of me. Thats not what I meant though. I know one thing I hate about wiring after epoxy...when I marr the epoxy with the wire while bending....that sucks!

Old 02-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
fishaholic18
Finally

Another fine example of how things get taken the wrong way on the internet..
Typing does not always express what you mean as saying it.
Good thing we're all friends...Huh???

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Yeah, it can happen but I think Dave knows I did not mean anything. I fixed it just the same....now I feel bad.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
MAC

I knew what you meant. Others here might not have though and taken it the wrong way. Don't feel bad as stated above things can be easily misconstrued by just reading what someone typed. No harm, no foul.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Thanks for the reply though Dave about the lips...I knew some guys epoxy them in place and the wire stretching never occurred to me. A couple dots in the future then.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
fishaholic18
Finally

I don't think you should feel bad Larry, I think Mac knew what you meant, he was just warning you b4 all hell broke out.

My opinion is that epoxy after wiring would prevent scratching the epoxy if wired after epoxy.
Does that make sense???
As long as it works for you...Stick with it I guess.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
MAC

put a small amount of epoxy on the underside of the lip and slide it into place when wiring. Any that "splooges out can be wiped off with no ill effects. And again as far as repainting is it really worth it? With it all beat up you can look back on it and reflect on the fun you had using it. These aren't vintage plugs we are fishing with that aren't available anymore.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i epoxy first then gromet and wire, i have damaged a few when doing tail wraps

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I haven't made any plugs this year but I epoxy last

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:31 PM   #14
Jigman

I epoxy, then add hardware and wire. I figure the best place for water to enter a wood plug is through the end grain. Where does that appear? On the ends and in the swivel hole. By epoxying first I can cover those areas well. I do as Dave suggested with the lip, a touch of glue on the underside. When I repaint, I'll often just leave the lip in place. I've pulled the lip out too, its really not that hard.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #15
Diamond Tackle

"Any that "splooges out can be wiped off with no ill effects."
Too bad a former president of ours didnt heed this advice.

Just my .02, if you epoxy AFTER you wire,the wire "may" eventually flex at the tail wrap and crack the epoxy there, this "may" cause a place for water to get under the finish, but by that time there may be other dents and tooth holes in it anyway so it may not matter that much.And Dave does use stiffer wire, so that would probably never happen on his plugs anyway.
Youre right BF, if you epoxy the lip in its not coming back out unless you crack the plug open, so keep that in mind also,but that is also not such a bad thing either since the lip wont shift causing a change in the action . Its a matter of personal preference I guess. Components have to work in harmony and thats all part of the fun.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #16
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
i do both.

i like epoxying after wiring to keep the wire anchored in place. i like to try to get some inside the through hole too.

sometimes ill epoxy before if its a nasty paintjob, so i dont ruin it by scratching it or something.

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #17
gone fishin

BF - I have tried before and after wiring. I have found that when using a daisy wheel or ferris wheel type devise it is a lot easier to wire first. It also allows me to clip the plug both front and back on the spindle with out any marring of the finish. The first time I wired first and used the wheel, I didn't take any precautions on the swivel and grommet openings and did screw up a couple of swivels by applying epoxy to the swivel. When i tried to free the swivel up, I actually destroyed a spro swivel. Now I am careful about these areas and apply the epoxy carefully.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
castn4bass
Plug Ho, Wannabe!

to keep the epoxy off the swivel just put a peice of straw over the swivel, it fits right down into the hole and avoids that problem!

the most uncommon thing you can possess,.................. is.............. common sense!
castn4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
winchmaster

Great thread, It's been something I have been rethinking. I am wiring before because that's how I did it when I hung.
I also felt it helped seal the plugs body with the drill holes getting some epoxy. But I also am not happy with how the plugs finish and I am doubting that the sealing the wire holes is doing anything different. I'm wondering if the extra handling when wiring besides removing paint leaves body oils on the paint so it may effect the epoxy adhesion.
So now I have two questions,

1. If you don't wire before you put your plugs on the wheel how do you keep them steady as they turn.

2. If you force you grommets in the hook holes after sealing. isn't there a chance to damage the wood under the epoxy, allowing water an avenue to get under your paint. Wouldn't it be better to do a midway approach. Add the grommets seal then wire and add lip.
Oh and no cracks about dipping in watersealer before. I have my opinion and others have theirs.

Its only art if it don't catch fish!
winchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

I wire before I barbeque mine.
but before I epoxy I spray with clear finish, scrub with a scotchbrite pad and wipe down with alcohol.
Then I do enviro and put it on the turner.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #21
Flaptail

Smile

Always wire first then epoxy. Holds everything in place and just helps the sealer by adding another layer of protection from water intrusion. Does that make me a second rate plug builder?

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #22
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

I alwaysput one coat the body,then hardware and after that I put on a second coat over everything

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #23
Jigman

Quote:
1. If you don't wire before you put your plugs on the wheel how do you keep them steady as they turn.
Insert the wire as you normally would. I.e., do the front loop and pass it through the body. Don't insert the loop so that it is tight with the plug. Put a bend in the side that comes out the tail. Will hang on the spinner just fine.

Quote:
2. If you force you grommets in the hook holes after sealing. isn't there a chance to damage the wood under the epoxy, allowing water an avenue to get under your paint. Wouldn't it be better to do a midway approach. Add the grommets seal then wire and add lip. [/B]
Add a little epoxy on the inside of the hole before inserting the grommet and don't man-handle the grommet

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #24
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

I add a spot of epoxy to the lip and gromet areas on all the plugs in the run. Then I start from the beginning and epoxy the entire run using a bright light to detect missed spots and see the quality of the coverage.....hang to dry!

Once I am satisfied that the plug is A#1 (usually after atleast 12 to 24 hours) I will add the wire and hooks. It does bear mentioning that split rings should be added to swivels before the swivels are put on the wire. This elliminates scratching the epoxy with the split ring pliers
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #25
ChrisH

I always wire first.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #26
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

both, mostly before..I like epoxy under my arse grommet,,I hate epoxy in my screws on pikies and surfsters,,I like the epoxy under the screws.. I hate epoxy on my lips and I shake like Keith Richards ,, Sometimes I epoxy my lips in after,, putting some epoxy underneath and sliding home . Alot of times I drill a 3/16 hole up front for nose grommet and an 1/8 inch in the arse so arse grommet fits tight and don't slide around a giant 3/16 hole.. my personal prefferences to date .. may change when i make a thousand more plugs ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #27
Backbeach Jake

I epoxy last. I hang my plug and let it drip smooth, this aids in filling any gap behind the lip. I clean the lip with a razorblade. I use 2 coats, flippng for the second.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #28
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

i epoxy last

i use gorilla glue on the lip, the head and tail grommets stay put from the wire, on belly grommets i drill a snug fit.
if you do it the other way, and don't like when you marr the epoxy, imagine how i feel when i do it and the paint comes off.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Do you guys ever have a problem w/ the epoxy running down the lip when its drying? Do you guys just cut it away w/ a razor after?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #30
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

my lips not in .. I fold a half of a playing card and stick it in the lip slot before epoxy .. then I try to remeber to pull it out before it dries ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote