Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb A Prayer For Terry Schiavo

I'm quietly hoping somebody steps in before the feeding tube is pulled. I think more time is needed to assess the situation before any irreversible actions are taken.

What a zoo, by the way.

House Delivering Subpoenas in Schiavo Case

Friday, March 18, 2005

WASHINGTON — House lawyers are on their way to Florida to issue subpoenas to several individuals involved in the case of a severely brain-damaged woman who was scheduled to have her feeding tube removed at 1 p.m. EST Friday.

Meanwhile, police in Pinellas Park, Fla., were preparing for the hundreds of protesters expected to show up outside the hospice of the woman, Terri Schiavo (search), whose case has received national attention.

FOX News has learned that the counsel for the House Government Reform Committee (search) issued subpoenas to Schiavo's husband, Michael, her parents, the hospice administrator and the patient's attending physician. FOX News has also obtained copies of the subpoenas.

That commmittee has scheduled a hearing on Friday, March 25, to hear from these individuals. In addition to the testimony, the subpoenas require that Schiavo's feeding tube remain.

An attorney for Schiavo's parents also said he would ask a federal judge in Tampa to block the removal and review the actions of state courts.

Such habeas corpus appeals seek to require the government to justify its actions.

"We are going to ask him to issue a stay because in this case, state action would be used to end the life of an innocent, disabled woman," the attorney, David Gibbs said.

The Florida House on Thursday passed a bill 78-37 to block the withholding of food and water from patients in a persistent vegetative state who did not leave specific instructions regarding their care. But hours later, the Senate defeated a different measure 21-16, and one of the nine Republicans voting against indicated that any further votes would be futile.

The Florida Senate adjourned at 10 a.m. Friday without taking action on the bill. The chamber will convene again on Tuesday.

In a last-ditch attempt to stop the court-ordered removal, a House committee on Capitol Hill here decided early Friday morning to start an investigation into Schiavo's case and issue subpoenas ordering doctors and hospice administrators not to remove her feeding tubes and to keep her alive until that investigation was complete.

Meanwhile, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (search), R-Tenn, on Friday said: "The Senate and the House remain dedicated to saving Terri Schiavo's life. While discussions over possible legislative remedies continue, the Senate and the House are taking action to keep her alive in the interim."

Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Chairman Mike Enzi (search), R-Wyo., has requested the presence of Terri Schiavo and her husband for a March 28 hearing regarding health care provided to non-ambulatory patients. The point of calling the two as witnesses is that federal criminal law protects witnesses called before official congressional committee proceedings from anyone who may obstruct or impede a witness' attendance or testimony.

The law also protects a witness from anyone who — by threats, force, or by any threatening letter or communication — influences, obstructs, or impedes an inquiry or investigation by Congress.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters Friday that president "appreciates the actions of those in Congress who are working to defend life."

The effort by the House Government Reform Committee came after lawmakers in both Washington and Tallahassee failed in attempts to pass legislation to keep her husband, Michael Schiavo, from having the tube pulled despite heavy lobbying by Schiavo's parents.

"This inquiry should give hope to Terri, her parents and friends and the millions of people throughout the world who are praying for her safety," U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert (search), Majority Leader Tom DeLay and Government Reform chairman Tom Davis said in a joint statement. "This fight is not over."

The Government Reform Committee is the same committee that forced Major League Baseball players and officials to testify Thursday about steroid use.

It was not immediately known when the subpoenas would be delivered to Schiavo's hospice and doctors, or whether the Florida health care providers would recognize them. A possible penalty for not recognizing the subpoena is to be held in contempt of Congress, a GOP leadership aide said.

"Everything is a longshot," said Gibbs, attorney for Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler.

But several last-minute legal avenues were being tried, such as the habeas corpus appeal (search), which is commonly used in death penalty cases.

The Florida attorney general's office usually defends the state against habeas filings. A call to the office late Thursday for comment was not immediately returned.

As part of the last-minute flurry of activity, the Florida judge who approved the withdrawal of food and water from Schiavo denied a request from the state to keep her alive. The state appealed that decision to the Florida Supreme Court, which promptly dismissed it. The U.S. Supreme Court also denied another appeal.

At the White House, President B u s h left little doubt where he stands.

"The case of Terri Schiavo raises complex issues," he said in a statement. "Yet in instances like this one, where there are serious questions and substantial doubts, our society, our laws and our courts should have a presumption in favor of life. Those who live at the mercy of others deserve our special care and concern."

His brother, Gov. Jeb B u s h , long has supported the parents' efforts and urged lawmakers to act before it was too late.

Schiavo suffered severe brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance, and court-appointed doctors say she is in a persistent vegetative state. Her husband, Michael Schiavo, says she told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, and say she could get better.

The court found that it was Terri Schiavo's wish not to kept alive in her current state and issued an order to remove the feeding tube Friday. Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, wouldn't comment on when and how the removal will take place or whether Michael Schiavo would visit his wife before it happened.

Doctors have said it could take a week or two for Terri Schiavo to die once the tube that delivers water and nutrients is removed.

FOX News' Molly Hooper and Trish Turner and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Flaptail

Unhappy

Pray for her and support Stem Cell research. I beleive the answer to her condition lies there.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Unhappy

very sad situation. can't imagine what that family is going through...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Skip N

What a sick thing they are about to do...Starving the poor woman to death. They should make the friggen judge go over and watch her die seeing how this is what he wants. So sick
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I thought the Judge was telling them to keep the tube in???

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
fishweewee

Question

Another judge just ordered it to be removed.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
spence

The only ones rushing here are Congressional Republicans. The Florida judge ruled the feeding tube be removed 5 YEARS AGO.

I don't know all the specifics of the case, so I can't say what her state really is...but the drama playing out this week is pretty insane.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
fishweewee

Lightbulb

A few things sorta screw me up on this one.

1) I question the husband's motives. He stands to benefit by getting life insurance money. So he's all for pulling the plug.

2) Her parents want to take care of her, even if her husband doesn't. Can't help but feel for the parents.

3) She is in a persistent vegetative state - but there some cognitive ability (for example, can recognize family members).

All I can say is...get your living wills dusted off and make your wishes clear in writing (after you've given very careful thought to it). And if you change your mind, for heaven's sake get it updated.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
spence

What sickens me is that this poor woman's image is plastered over every newspaper and headine as the poster for this cause. She certianly wouldn't want that.

I don't know her husbands motive, but I do know this. In a similar situation my wife would want to die. It's not in any will, but she has clearly said so...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishweewee
Another judge just ordered it to be removed.

DOH!!!!!

Its getting so if I don't hit the refresh button every 5 minutes I miss something

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
fishweewee

Lightbulb

It is turning into a kind of a zoo.

While I am sympathetic to the pro-life push by various groups behind all the legal wrangling, I think what we're seeing is the result of a very aggressive effort by Terry Schiavo's PARENTS to not pull the plug. I don't think this case would have made the headlines without the parents.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
PaulS

She made her wishes known to her husband and 2 others - no feeding tubes. Unfort. she didn't put it in writing.

Her husband has said that he has spent many times the insurance money in lawyer fee trying to get hie wifes wishes taken care of.

I agree, sad.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #13
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

To many heartfelt opinions. I feel for the family and the husband. I personally would not want to live like that.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
Squid kids Dad

My Dad passed a couple of years ago..He had a stroke while in the hospital..He couldnt speak but he seemed to recognize family..But as he progressed he was just laying there mostly out of it...We as a family were told that at his age he would not recover..The only thing keeping him alive was the feeding tube..They gave us the option to remove the tube which we debated..Ultimately it was up to Mom...Thank God my Dad passed before she she had to make that descion...A very hard decsion for anybody..Hopefully will not have to go thru that again...

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
PaulS

I read that the eye movements may be a result of a reaction from the brain stem developing as opposed to the higher level, upper part of the brain. The drs. said that if you come out of a coma and don't respond fully in a very short time, this is what you are seeing and is a very, bad sign.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I agree that this is a terrible situation, however she has been in this condition for quite sometime, and as someone mentioned, there were three credible witnesses (her husband not counted there are still 2)... If this women didnt want to live like this why has she been prolonged in the first place. I am not a parent and cant understand their pain, however there comes a point where letting go is the right option... I realize starving to death isnt a pleasant way to go, but neither is living in a vegatative state on a feeding tube.

I suppose if she put this in writing this wouldnt be an issue today...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #17
NJTackle
#1 Plug Building Supply

My wife is a CCRN nurse. You would not believe the horror stories she tells me about some patients and family member expectations. Now that she is the manager of the unit, she is exposed to even more horror stories. Believe me...they are heart wrenching. Picture a frail 90+ year old with a terminal illness. Organs are shutting down one by one. But the family does not want to sign a DNR (do no resuscitate). They want everything possible done to save their loved one, which is understandable. BUT there is a limit to what modern science can do. There is a limit to what the human body can endure and possible to recover from. Most times they break ribs and do other damage during the code, which may or may not contribute to their inevitable death.

Personally, there is a minimum quality of life I'm willing to endure, along with what I'm willing to put my family thru. Living the way she does is not acceptable in my book. From what I read, she made it perfectly clear she would NOT want to live like this. Its been 15 years since her heart attack. There is nothing that can be done to help her. She has permanent brain damage and in a vegetative state. She has permanent damage to muscles and joints. Even if, by some miracle, she would regain some brain function, she would always be dependant on help. If there was no living will signed, I believe its up to her husband, who she already talked to prior to the accident of what her wishes would be if something like this would happen, to decide if the tube should be removed or not. No government, no court, no radical pro-life group should decide this - period. And from what I hear, dieing from an electrolyte imbalance (starving to death) is a much better way of going then the other most likely alternate ways she'll eventually die from.

I pray for her, her family and to give them all strength to do what is right, and what Terry Schiavo would have wanted.

NJTackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #18
outfished

If I were in her shoe's I'd hope that my friends would take me on my last boat trip and dump my sorry arse overboad Me and the miss's are getting our living wills done soon if not sooner.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #19
woodbutcher

She won't die of starvation. She'll die of dehydration i.e. thirst. Painless, I'm sure. I believe electrolyte imbalance results from lack of water, rather than lack of food.

'butcher "distiller of fine karma since 1965"
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #20
rhodyflyguy

dehydration causes the tongue to swell a ton, and lots of other things, read a book about people adrift at sea in a dinghy for weeks. not good. painful. i went through that situation with my grandpa, pulling the plug, and it would have been best for the family not to wait so long.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Went through this with my dad and mother-in law. if there is a living will in place you MUST follow their wishes. Pull the plug on this poor woman and give her poor husband some closure. The state has no right to get involved. It is none of their business. This is between her and her husband.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #22
Fly Rod

Let this be a lesson to those that do not have a "Living Will"!!!! and do not want to be a vegetable in a brain dead situation!!!!! Don't just tell someone your wishes, put it in writing!!!!

Where are all these "Do Gooders"!!!!!! when they were pulling the plug on 5 month old Baby Sun in Texas last week because his lungs were not growing and would die ?????? Also Texas law states that, in Texas doctors make decission on life or death call!!!!!

Before the media nationalized Terri, there have been many in Florida and every other state that have had the tube removed and there will be many more after she passes on!!!!
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
outfished

assachewsetts also doe's not recognize living wills. You'll need a health care proxy which will involve your doctor as well as your family. A living will however in conjunction with your proxy can add some weight. Getting mine done this week
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #24
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

In RI, if you are having an operation that involves risk, you are mandated to sign a health proxy but a living will is also valid. I had both when I had my bypass surgery.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #25
Skip N

Sad to hear Terry has died today. Or i guess i should say Terry was starved to death by the courts. I think its odd that the Far left in this country are more than happy to remove the feeding tube on this innocent women but they will be the first ones to be protesting to save someone like Scott Peterson who murdered his wife and child is put to death. The mentally of these people is down right scary and borderline insane. Kill the innocent and spare the murderors. Sick just sick. Prayers to Terry's family
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #26
PaulS

I guess you'd rather have had her euthanised? What's insane to me is that there are people who evidentially can't make a decision and would rather have the courts decide than leave it up to her husband to fufill her wishes. Her wishes were finally carried out - 7 years or so after her husband finally realized there was no hope for a recovery for her. He prob. should have done it sooner.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Paul, there was no indecision on Terri, her husband wanted her to die, her parents to live. The courts were involved to decide on who legally has the right to make the decision to end her life.
As far as the years it took to resolve this in court, put it in perspective. Scott Petersen will be in jail a minimun of 17 years before all appeals are exhausted. Taxpayers will spend tons of $ for court fees and living expenses for him. Is it wrong that that the decision to end an innocent life took so long? I'm glad I love in country that human life is valued enough to cause debate and attention from our legal system
This case raised a lot of questions, Im not sure where I stand on this.
Her husband was banging away at another woman while Terri's parents visited her everyday. Makes me not feel too much for the husband and side with the parents.
I've heard that Terri's mind is the equivalent of a 6 months old...is that such a bad thing? Was she happy? We'll never know. Sad story no matter what your views are.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #28
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

There are no winners in this case. Terri lost 15 years ago. Her parents lost today. Her husband, I am not in a position to judge him. I have not been in his position and I hope to God I never am forced to make that decision for my wife.
Me, I just want a massive heart attack with a 50 on the end of my line.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #29
PaulS

Her husband spent approx. 15 years carring for her and trying to carry out her wishes. While all of us would prob. like to believe we would remain faithfull to our spouses after 7 years of remaining faithfull to her, he finally, somewhat moved on (I guess "banging away at some woman" is one way of looking at it). The courts have found that the husband had legal standing to carry out her wishes (the bible also). What didn't the parents understand about that? After 3-4 times in front of a judge, you'd think they would understand. I read that the parents have a website which appeals for donations, the rift b/w the parents and the husband supposedly started around the time he recieved the insurance settlement and when the parents asked for a share of it.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

The insurance settlement was suppposed to be used to keep her alive, he went back to court to be able to use the funds to fight to remove the tube.
From my understanding, there was no financial gain for teh parents in keeping their daughter alive.
as far as them "not understanding "the courts, good for them for contuning to fight for what they beleive in, thats the foundation of this country.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote