Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
TBone

Nobody saw this coming!?!?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0323051weise1.html

From TheSmokingGun.com...a little background info on the kid that shot up the high school in Minnesota...

What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country. -HST
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Unhappy

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Uncle Matt

WTF?

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
rhodyflyguy

Is it wrong to symphatize w/ the kid? His Dad was dead, his Mom was brain damaged, and he was living with his grandpa, who had a 32 y/o live in gf. He had been picked on so much, he was tutored away from the general population.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodyflyguy
Is it wrong to symphatize w/ the kid? His Dad was dead, his Mom was brain damaged, and he was living with his grandpa, who had a 32 y/o live in gf. He had been picked on so much, he was tutored away from the general population.
I for one have no sympathy for somone who goes into school and shoots inocent students and teachers. I hope he rots in hell
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #6
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I don't think anyone especially counselors can predict when someone would do such horendous act.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
Striperhound

Very disturbing. Back in the day schools used to make us run through bomb or tornado drills. Ok this is a test in case it happens, everyone get under your desk to protect yourself from falling debris. Times have changed, schools need to start having drills in case some sick kids comes into school to shoot up the place.
Striperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
TunaCell

Narragansett School System started those drills two years ago, an alarm sounds, any kid in the halls goes into the nearest classroom, all doors are locked, and everybody gets down and away from the windows. Not sure how effective it would be, but it's at least a step in the right direction.

-Brendan
TunaCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Schools = gun free victim zones.

Teachers and ordinary law abiding citizens should be able to pack heat on school grounds and engage mutants like this. Unarmed security guards are useless, as this case sadly showed.

The kid might have had a rough childhood, but the minute he brings a loaded weapon(s) into school that becomes irrelevent.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
Raven

i heard

on TV that he had posted a cartoon like scenario of the event on a website on the net a year before it happened..... talk about slippin thru the cracks.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
rhodyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaCell
Narragansett School System started those drills two years ago, an alarm sounds, any kid in the halls goes into the nearest classroom, all doors are locked, and everybody gets down and away from the windows. Not sure how effective it would be, but it's at least a step in the right direction.
i guess you've never been severely bullied. for me, it was kindergarten till beginning of this (frosh) year. Physical and emotional, stuff being stolen/vandalized etc. Schools didn't do a thing. My parents were active and loving to me, though, so that made a big difference. I still suffer SEVERE depression, and still have flahbacks.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
Notaro
None

Same here, man. Kids get bullied all the time and no one even bothers to stand by them, but the rash action like this isnt an excuse or the answer.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaro
Same here, man. Kids get bullied all the time and no one even bothers to stand by them, but the rash action like this isnt an excuse or the answer.
What do you expect with the media overload kids get now?
Games, tv, war in Iraq, kill all them towelheads, nuclear weapons in North Korea, drill ANWR because daddy %$%$%$%$ says it'll actually do anything, Terry will die, sex at 12 is good, blahblahblahblahblahblah what does it all say? VIOLENCE IS GOOD! VIOLENCE IS THE KEY TO PEACE! Not only do I have huge problems with parents these days, I have problems with the school systems that don't even bother doing anything. Teachers are underpaid, put through rediculous requirements with their classes now (yes, no child left behind is a huge freaking failure.) classes are overcrowded (the student to teacher ratio is horrible now) while this may be an extreme case (real parents aren't around... it seems the kid was pretty much left to do whatever) it dosen't even take this much for a kid to snap and do something of this nature.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote