Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
spence

WIND

I'm heading out right now to see if I can put a giant pikie cleanly over the Sakonnet River.

Ron Arra my

Nearly 60 mpg gusts!!!

My yard looks like a freakin war zone.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
rhodyflyguy

i just heard from my grandparents who have a place on ninigret pond in RI, they have this like 4" duameter flag pole, it snapped in half earlier.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Pete_G

The flag pole at the Fisherman's Memorial on Brenton Point snapped in half today as well. I haven't seen any wind like that since Bob.

It was scary to drive around Newport, between the traffic lights being out and the tree branches falling everywhere.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G
The flag pole at the Fisherman's Memorial on Brenton Point snapped in half today as well. I haven't seen any wind like that since Bob.

It was scary to drive around Newport, between the traffic lights being out and the tree branches falling everywhere.
I'm working on a house near the Newport CC so I had a birdseye view of the Pt. during the full rage of the storm.What a mess.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Hooper
Southsider

What a storm!

That was awesome yesterday! I was working patrol, looking forward to getting down at 4pm, and thinking at 2pm as the sun came out, "Maybe I'll go running outside after work" Then between 230 and 3pm it got dark and what a wind! The all hell broke loose! Wires down causing fires everywhere, car crashes, trees fallen across main roads having to be shut down, total chaos!

At one point yesterday we had 21 officers out on the roads and we could have used double that, what a day! I love wild weather, when the boat is out of the water that is...
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Yeh - was nasty. When the Newport Bridge was shut down I was debating the Mt Hope or just head to a gettogether in Marshfield. I waited it out a little and got traffic reports from RI and Boston and neither would work. The Scenic Highway along the canal was a supposed impassible sheet of ice, 5 mph traffic, roads still snow covered

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
spence

Head there were a few places, Sakkonet Pt and on the Cape that registered 70+mph...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
Karl F

Exclamation

try 80 plus.. I just got power at my house, probably due to the underground wiring in the area... took a ride, town looks like a war zone wires down everywhere, trees, signs, chimney top blew off one house went through the deck.
Wild at the store yesterday, we could watch the transformers blow up down the street, sky would light up blue for each one. One guy watched the pole go over, stopped so it wouldn't hit him, and the wires ended up all over his truck, he sat and waited 15 minutes till NSTAR showed up...
heard that Brewster and Eastham got it worse than Orleans.. all them locust trees... no roots.. and them pines that are all loaded with borers now, snap about halfway up.. bunch came down around me, thankfully hit nothing of value...
look at CCTimes online, I hear they have pictures posted, or will soon.
My digi puked, or I woulda snapped a bunch... I'm still a bit shocked by the stuff I saw this AM... was like a hurricane... we even had like an eye pass over, no wind, blue sky, everybody was like, it's over... then bamm dark sky, and wind like it was coming out of the back of a jet motor.. blew the ligh fixtures off the roof of the store, they was swing by the wires in front of the door... I roped them and tied them off to the upright posts... we stayed open right thru it for a few hours, no power and all.. was busy...
might go in for a while today.. waiting to hear fom the boss....
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

WHDH Channel 7's high weather tower in Nantucket Sound recorded a 90 MPH gust last night.
MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I heard Plymouth had 9 MPH winds yesterday
We had high winds and 15 inches of snow I
have to go clean up the driveway now

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote