Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 AM   #1
Sudsy
On the Hook

Vega duplicator question

I'm looking into picking up a better/faster duplicator than my homemade one but I don't know much about them (other than I'd like to spend less than $400) At the moment I'm leaning towards the 28" Vega. Got a few questions though.

Do you have to remove the toolrest holder from the bed of the lathe to attach the 24" Vega to a full size Delta lathe ??
If you can leave the toolrest holder attached, can you pop the toolrest in and freehand with the duplicator still attached ?

Is setting up the Vega a major PIA ?

"I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries,
and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am"..... Crash Davis
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

when I had one it took up the whole bed, so the tool rest had to go...I also found that you needed to get the body down close to the finish point before you took the time to set it up for the finnal few passes.......or otherwise it took longer to use the dupy than it it took to turn by hand and without the cardibe cutter it just tore out the wood....and didn't shave it...that was the mini dupy...full size dupy I understand works far better....anyway imo..it was more time consuming to set up than it was worth,,I'm much faster by hand with cardboard profile's and caliper's even though I have two homemade dupies.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Jigman

I have the mini dup version of the Vega attached to my mini-Jet lathe. Have to remove the tool rest. I know others have the delta and can mount the dup on the back of the lathe (turn the cutter upside down). Not possible on the Jet. Set up time is pretty quick, though I leave mine set up all the time. I still have my Grizzly lathe and turn by hand on that one. Its probably a personal preference, but I find that I can knock out bodies faster with the dup than without. Depending on the plug, 12-15 bodies and hour, sanded and ready for drilling, and reaaaaal close in dimensions. I think it really depends on how many plugs you are making whether it is worth it or no. Though, if you want to go through that pile of wood that you posted in a weekend, the dup would be the way to go

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

I've got one on a delta lathe and like it.

You can't really use the tool rest with it. If the lathe is mounted on an island-type bench you could mount the vega on one side and have the tool rest on the other.
You could also just unbolt the duplicator, but leave the rails that bolt onto the lathe. You can do that, but you won't get much side-to-side adjustment like that. If you have a wide tool rest you could get away with it.

I find the setup fairly easy. Leave the centers in the lathe, attach the vega, line up the tip of the tool with the center in the lathe.....both in and out, and up and down. I use the vega for making plugs. The only time it comes off is when i have to do non-plug projects.

CS is right the carbide is much better. I still use the HSS tool because i can't find the time to make my own holder. Vega sells them but you'll pay through the nose. I touch up the HSS tool (while still in the dupi) often.....Either tool you do have to take a light finsh pass. my rough passes add up to about 1/2" at the most.

Like Jigman said i make them faster, more accurate than i could by hand.

Biggest downside i have is the smallest blank i can turn is about 5"-6"

I got my vega on ebay for about $150 i think.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

When you want carbide inserts drop me a PM I can probably save you some $$$. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Jigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt
...Biggest downside i have is the smallest blank i can turn is about 5"-6"....
I've turned 2 inch freshie poppers using the Vega/Jet. For the small stuff, set up your template to do 2-3 plugs at a time. The blank on the lathe should be big enough to handle the same number of plugs. On the 2 inch poppers, I set up three. For 3-4 inch plugs, 2 at a time.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote